DB at Volunteer

dbFAN91

My daughter graduated in the top of her class at North and was a cheerleader 4 years and will be an RN in Dec from ETSU My soninlaw was #1 in the same class graduated from ETSU this fall and is in Med school at LMU

My son plays 3 sports at North is an A student was on the field every Friday night last year as a 9th grader started in baseball and dressed and played varsity basketball. He's playing all the ball he can stand, getting a great education and having the time of his life.I see no shortage of opportunity at poor old North & South. Like I said I don't dislike DB but the parents at North & South prefer another route.

That's great, sounds like your children and son in law were raised perfectly and had the time of their life during their time at Sullivan North. But, what i'm saying is that the kids who finish #1 in their class at DB get scholarships to Harvard and Yale not ETSU. That's not bragging, it's fact. Now, who has the upper hand, a graduate from ETSU or from Harvard or Yale. This is the opportunity i speak of. Same deel, who gets noticed in sports, someone who plays for North or DB? I did'nt bring this up to belittle anyone or another school, i was merely stating the facts. It's up to the kids. Do you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a big fish in a large pond? Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and if your getting annexed into the city because of the urban growth and development, then there is only one thing to do.

The Ivy League scholarship offers happen at Volunteer as well. And as you say, that's not bragging, that's fact. I seem to recall a student at Central who chose one of the Ivy league schools a year or so ago as well.

I will agree with you that more oppurtunities abound at a larger school such as DB, but I also agree with another poster who seemed to say that the "bulk" of the load lies with the student, not just the program.

If you are trying not to belittle another school then you failed. Success is measured in many ways and a degree from a large, prestigous university can certainly open many doors, but true success is up to the individual to measure, not society.

It sounded as if you were downplaying the pre-med degree from ETSU and the soon to follow medical degree at LMU. Either way, a doctorate is going to add up to a substantial income and this student should be commended for his accomplishment, not belittled because he chose to attend a local university.

• Upvote 1

The Ivy League scholarship offers happen at Volunteer as well. And as you say, that's not bragging, that's fact. I seem to recall a student at Central who chose one of the Ivy league schools a year or so ago as well.

I will agree with you that more oppurtunities abound at a larger school such as DB, but I also agree with another poster who seemed to say that the "bulk" of the load lies with the student, not just the program.

If you are trying not to belittle another school then you failed. Success is measured in many ways and a degree from a large, prestigous university can certainly open many doors, but true success is up to the individual to measure, not society.

It sounded as if you were downplaying the pre-med degree from ETSU and the soon to follow medical degree at LMU. Either way, a doctorate is going to add up to a substantial income and this student should be commended for his accomplishment, not belittled because he chose to attend a local university.

I don't belittle any kid accoplishments especially someone who is trying for a doctorate. I only stated the opportunities are better at DB. And they are. There are extremely gifted children in many of the local schools but most systems don't have the advanced classes to push these kids to excell to their most potential. That is why DB should always be considered if you live in close relations to it.

I'm afraid it is not going to matter who plays very much as the outcome will be the same. We have some great kids but heavily outgunned in this one. Hopefully it will be a safe game for all involved. I will be there to support as usual and I haven't personally seen DB play this year, other than a few plays on TV and the infamous jamboree.

You guys need to keep it real and you've probably got a legitimate shot this year.

I think the intellectual kids are going to be intellectual wherever they go. Given the choice they will most always want to stay with their friends. Some kids are adventurous and look for new and diferent challenges but not many. At least not at 14. However, I have to agree that DB offers more oportunity. South traditionally has had an extremely strong math department so I think it is one of their assets. But speaking overall, yes I think DB has more to offer. As well, I think DB has more problems. So there are two sides of the coin. But when we talk of athletics I don't think there is an argument. It is common sense really. DB's Coach Kiersey is a prime example. The Division I scouts told him outright that if he wanted to play major college ball that he would need to transfer from Volunteer to DB. There will be arguments in both directions. Such as Ralph Nelson. Many will say that if you are good enough you will be found. I feel Curt Phillips was an SEC QB. Would it have been different at DB? How about Jeremy Osborne? Caleb Kitzmiller? Brad Davenport? The list goes on. There are some facts that can't be overlooked. DB coaching hasn't missed a beat in many moons. South coaching was good under Compton and then Smith but suffered terribly until Carter and now it looks like Haynie is the new man. One thing I have noticed for at least the past 10 years is that by and large CHMS football teams have dominated Sevier and Robinson teams. But that domination has not replicated itself through the high school level. Granted the two best classes from South were prevented from playing DB...2007 and 2008 but still the trend is that DB takes Sevier and Robinson players and turns them into something special. There are many reasons why Indians think their school is superior to the counties but I think money is one major reason. South performs well with a 1000 count census in football and does well in many acedemic areas. But football is only one sport and most other sports at South suffer badly. So overall I have to agree with 91. I think DB is the smart choice for most upwardly mobile academic students as well as most athletes. However, Robert E. Lee after being invited to command the United States Army forces against the Confederate secession stayed true to his home state. He was against secession and its original reasonings but vowed to stay faithful to his home state as they followed South Carolina into secession and into the Confederacy. He was regarded as one of the most brilliant military men in history. There is alot to be said for loyalty. And it seems that Southers do posess loyalty.

I think the intellectual kids are going to be intellectual wherever they go. Given the choice they will most always want to stay with their friends. Some kids are adventurous and look for new and diferent challenges but not many. At least not at 14. However, I have to agree that DB offers more oportunity. South traditionally has had an extremely strong math department so I think it is one of their assets. But speaking overall, yes I think DB has more to offer. As well, I think DB has more problems. So there are two sides of the coin. But when we talk of athletics I don't think there is an argument. It is common sense really. DB's Coach Kiersey is a prime example. The Division I scouts told him outright that if he wanted to play major college ball that he would need to transfer from Volunteer to DB. There will be arguments in both directions. Such as Ralph Nelson. Many will say that if you are good enough you will be found. I feel Curt Phillips was an SEC QB. Would it have been different at DB? How about Jeremy Osborne? Caleb Kitzmiller? Brad Davenport? The list goes on. There are some facts that can't be overlooked. DB coaching hasn't missed a beat in many moons. South coaching was good under Compton and then Smith but suffered terribly until Carter and now it looks like Haynie is the new man. One thing I have noticed for at least the past 10 years is that by and large CHMS football teams have dominated Sevier and Robinson teams. But that domination has not replicated itself through the high school level. Granted the two best classes from South were prevented from playing DB...2007 and 2008 but still the trend is that DB takes Sevier and Robinson players and turns them into something special. There are many reasons why Indians think their school is superior to the counties but I think money is one major reason. South performs well with a 1000 count census in football and does well in many acedemic areas. But football is only one sport and most other sports at South suffer badly. So overall I have to agree with 91. I think DB is the smart choice for most upwardly mobile academic students as well as most athletes. However, Robert E. Lee after being invited to command the United States Army forces against the Confederate secession stayed true to his home state. He was against secession and its original reasonings but vowed to stay faithful to his home state as they followed South Carolina into secession and into the Confederacy. He was regarded as one of the most brilliant military men in history. There is alot to be said for loyalty. And it seems that Southers do posess loyalty.

Robert E Lee lost.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Most do...how true

Guest footballfan100

dbfan91...i would think that db grads could spell "deal" correctly---not deel!!! hahaha and isnt the qb from south getting scholarship offers from ivy league schools?? pretty good thing, i would think, especially for a poor ole county boy!!!