Brighton

GCPioneer

After seeing some of the scores from the Millington playday and seeing that Brighton only lost by a couple of points tonight to a predominately AA West TN power in Westview, Brighton looks to be much improved from years past. They've always had the athletes to compete with a Dyer Co. or Hardin Co. and I'll even venture out to say Jackson NS. It's evident already that Brighton has started taking a step in the right direction with some of the wins at the playdays. If the team will buy into the new coach's system, Brighton could do some damage in the future in 13AAA.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing some of the scores from the Millington playday and seeing that Brighton only lost by a couple of points tonight to a predominately AA West TN power in Westview, Brighton looks to be much improved from years past. They've always had the athletes to compete with a Dyer Co. or Hardin Co. and I'll even venture out to say Jackson NS. It's evident already that Brighton has started taking a step in the right direction with some of the wins at the playdays. If the team will buy into the new coach's system, Brighton could do some damage in the future in 13AAA.

Brighton hired Ronnie Lanier,former football coach at Lake Co middle school and AAU basketball coach for the Lake Co girls the past several years.Coach Lanier told me a couple weeks ago that he had a good team and a girl on his team as fast as T.T.I thought Brighton actually better than Westview.Brighton pretty well stayed in the lead most of the game..up by 8 or 9 points and only after Brighton went took out his whole starting unit ,did WEstview finally take the lead.I kept looking to see if Coach Lanier was going to put the starters back in once Westview made a move but he never put his starters back is.Westview still had Sims,Swain and #20 on the floor.Westview won on the scoreboard but in my opinion,Brighton had the better team last night.I thought it was actually a 1 point game but may have been two.Brighton also scored a basket ,was fouled and didn't allow the basket.Coach Lanier thought the shot had counted and talking to one of his coaches and saw the official hold up 2 fingers.Coach Lanier was livid and asking the officials how in the world,that shot didn't count.But like you said..Lake Co beat Brighton by about 40 plus points last year.This Brighton team is going to be tough to beat.!I thought Lake Co and Brighton were the two best teams at Dyersburg and Brighton plays Obion Central Tuesday night and I believe Brighton will win and may beat Lake Co Thursday night.With the football team playing Friday night,if the Lake Co -Brighton boys game goes on..it's going to be a massacre.The girls game will be a tough game.Coach Lanier knows the Lake Co schemes and he has some size and had several back door cuts for baskets.But very improved.Westview could have been tired.They played earlier at Dyer Co and lost to Stewart Co by about 4 points.So ..at this time..not sure Westview and Central are as good as last year.

Edited by mrbigster

Brighton girls played Obion girls tough......had a terrible 1st half but stormed back in the 3rd to bring it within 2.....at one point late in the 4th it was a 6 point game.....they ended up losing by 9 after having to foul......Much improved!!!!

sbl

I really thought Brighton would win this game.But also like I said..Obion ,Westview and Gibson either one could win on a given night.Same if Brighton were to play them again at Brighton.Coach Lanier is going to do a great job.I already see a vst improvement from last year..Really don't think Lake Co should play Brighton Thursday night...lol...One..the boys team will get massacred and the girls team,the coach at Brighton will know how to defend Lake Co..lol...Good luck to Coach Lanier and his Brighton team.

Brighton gave the lady Rebels a great game, came from 12 pts down and got within 2 in the 4th 36-34, But the lady Rebels pull it out 54-45. The lady Rebels had already played last years state runner-up in 13AAA before playing the lady Cardinal after the boys game, and played them a terrific game. At end of one-16-16, half time it was 26-32 St. Bendict, 3rd-45-46, and final score was St Bendict 62, lady Rebels 60. This could be the best team they will play all year, size, quickness, shooters, and very well coach. Not to take away from the lady Cardinals, but you could tell the lady Rebels were leg weary in that 4th quarter. GOOD LUCK TO 2ND YEAR head coach Lyle Larue and the lady Rebels.

Edited by sherlockholmes

Brighton gave the lady Rebels a great game, came from 12 pts down and got within 2 in the 4th 36-34, But the lady Rebels pull it out 54-45. The lady Rebels had already played last years state runner-up in 13AAA before playing the lady Cardinal after the boys game, and played them a terrific game. At end of one-16-16, half time it was 26-32 St. Bendict, 3rd-45-46, and final score was St Bendict 62, lady Rebels 60. This could be the best team they will play all year, size, quickness, shooters, and very well coach. Not to take away from the lady Cardinals, but you could tell the lady Rebels were leg weary in that 4th quarter. GOOD LUCK TO 2ND YEAR head coach Lyle Larue and the lady Rebels.

St Benedict was the runner-up in Division 2 Large Classification.....Private Schools!!!!

Brighton girls played another top team and pushed them to their limits!!!!! Lake County v Brighton score was 47-42......The girls played a great game and had several chances in the end.....They should have a fun year....Good Luck to them!!!

sbl

Brighton has a good ball club this year.The game started out with Lake Co leading 14-2 and for some reason,I still wasnt feeling at ease.Brighton has some shooters and some size.Lake Co had double digit leads until late in the 3rd quarter when Lake Co must have missed about 7 front end of one and ones.Then late in the fourth when Lake Co were shooting 2 shots..missed both until T.T. finally made one at the end.Brighton didn't quit and pecked away and with Lake Co missing free throws,the two guard came down and hit a 3 pointer each and the big girl hit a basket down low and it was a game at that time.Congrats to Lake Co with a win over a fine Brighton team.Lake Co is probably one of the quickest teams overall in the area and I think that helped with Brighton having the size and the rebounders.Brighton isn't a gimme game this year and are going to beat some fine teams this year and Coach Lanier is going to do a great job.Glad to get a win..was worried about this game going in with Brighton having talent plus Coach Lanier knowing our girls and the system.Two good teams though.

Edited by mrbigster

• 2 weeks later...

Brighton has played several more solid teams to close scores!!! Lost to Collierville in OT by 1....and lost to Arlington by 3....Finally broke through and finished strong with an 8 point win versus Germantown....who beat Arlington earlier......Brighton should probably be 3 and 2....they let 2 slip away...but the learning curve of how to finish games is now finally coming around!!!! Arlington and Germantown are both in the Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen....Congrats to the Lady Cardinals and good luck!!!

sbl

Edited by sbl0702

Brighton has played several more solid teams to close scores!!! Lost to Collierville in OT by 1....and lost to Arlington by 3....Finally broke through and finished strong with an 8 point win versus Germantown....who beat Arlington earlier......Brighton should probably be 3 and 2....they let 2 slip away...but the learning curve of how to finish games is now finally coming around!!!! Arlington and Germantown are both in the Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen....Congrats to the Lady Cardinals and good luck!!!

sbl

I believe these young ladies are going to beat some of the top teams before the year is out.Coach Lanier will do a great job .By looking at those scores,look like the games could have gone either way.Good luck to Coach Lanier and Brighton.