6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

andspeaking of alcoa compared to smyrna... i really cant imagine them being a better team than alcoa, and maryville was one tackle away from winning that game... barring that tackle, which to alcoas rb maryville didnt make maryville wins that game... it is all about matchups though, so we will see...

One thing I would like to point out is that Alcoa also improved throughout the season as well.

Everyone in Smyrna knows that Maryville is a great program and always has great teams. But when all you see on a SHS MHS thread is our coach is better and alcoa's coach is the greatest ever. And granted alot of folks have been ticked off by comments made towards our players and our program. Fans are expected to pull for their teams. Keep race and derogatory statements about these young men out of all of this. ALL the East coast posters just don't seem to realize that Smyrna is pretty dang good, and your boys better be ready to strap em on Saturday night. I know it will be a GREAT game, I hope the best team wins and no one is injured.

Agree about deragatory remarks, especially any that relate to race. What you left out though is that VERY EARLY in this thread Smyrna folks were talking about Maryville's "soft" schedule so they can attain high rankings etc as well as other comments. Some shots have been thrown from both sides so to infer that this thread has been a "pick on Smyrna" thread is a little far fetched. JMO

Agree about deragatory remarks, especially any that relate to race. What you left out though is that VERY EARLY in this thread Smyrna folks were talking about Maryville's "soft" schedule so they can attain high rankings etc as well as other comments. Some shots have been thrown from both sides so to infer that this thread has been a "pick on Smyrna" thread is a little far fetched. JMO

There schedule was much softer than Smyrnas. Thats not hard to see at all. But there is nothing maryville can do about that. They make those schedules in advance and no team can know how there schedule is going to be until that season. I don't think there schedule was weak just not as tough as Smyrnas. Does that clear that up? Can we put that part of it behind us. This is starting to remind me of a Blackman SHS thread.

There schedule was much softer than Smyrnas. Thats not hard to see at all. But there is nothing maryville can do about that. They make those schedules in advance and no team can know how there schedule is going to be until that season. I don't think there schedule was weak just not as tough as Smyrnas. Does that clear that up? Can we put that part of it behind us. This is starting to remind me of a Blackman SHS thread.

Well the district schedule is what it is. Can't control that as you said. I guess the poster's stance was the Smyrna district is head and shoulders above Maryville's. It is worth mentioning though that we played a district foe in the second and third rounds both, so our's must not have been totally weak. If I am not mistaken, Maryville's three non district games were McMinn County, Alcoa and Oak Ridge. Many consider Alcoa the best team in the state and Oak Ridge was a semi-finalist. And sure, the schedule thing is "behind" me. I was not the one that brought it up to begin with.

Well the district schedule is what it is. Can't control that as you said. I guess the poster's stance was the Smyrna district is head and shoulders above Maryville's. It is worth mentioning though that we played a district foe in the second and third rounds both, so our's must not have been totally weak. If I am not mistaken, Maryville's three non district games were McMinn County, Alcoa and Oak Ridge. Many consider Alcoa the best team in the state and Oak Ridge was a semi-finalist. And sure, the schedule thing is "behind" me. I was not the one that brought it up to begin with.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day both teams have one more game to play and the games before don't really matter anymore. It does look like Maryville beat teams the way they were supposed to so you can't hold that against them. There are lots of other questions to be answered on gameday like- How will the Meadows injury affect(sp) Smyrna's D, Will Maryville's Line be good enough to keep Smyrna's backs and qb in check, Can Smyrna stop Maryville's passing game, and who wants it more? These questions will have nothing to do with who they played in the past. A tough schedule does help teams fight through hard times and not hang their heads. At this point though both teams have seen their fair share of hard times and shouldn't have any trouble bouncing back I would think.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day both teams have one more game to play and the games before don't really matter anymore. It does look like Maryville beat teams the way they were supposed to so you can't hold that against them. There are lots of other questions to be answered on gameday like- How will the Meadows injury affect(sp) Smyrna's D, Will Maryville's Line be good enough to keep Smyrna's backs and qb in check, Can Smyrna stop Maryville's passing game, and who wants it more? These questions will have nothing to do with who they played in the past. A tough schedule does help teams fight through hard times and not hang their heads. At this point though both teams have seen their fair share of hard times and shouldn't have any trouble bouncing back I would think.

Agree. Like our defensive coordinator said in the paper earlier this week, "what we have done this season means nothing, it all comes down to the game Saturday". But until Saturday we fans have to have something to talk about right? I think we all agree it will be a heck of a game.

Agree. Like our defensive coordinator said in the paper earlier this week, "what we have done this season means nothing, it all comes down to the game Saturday". But until Saturday we fans have to have something to talk about right? I think we all agree it will be a heck of a game.

Yes your right we do have to have something to talk about and I do think it will be a heck of a game. I must also admit I get more nervous now being a spectator with no control over the game than I did when I played. And to both teams remember football is not the most important thing in life but it is the third most important. So give it all you got and if your better you will win.