USJ Bruins

GCPioneer

I got the chance to watch the USJ Bruins play yesterday in the Westview Thanksgiving Tournament. John Ross Glover absolutely dominated the game having about 7 dunks and also stepping out and burying an occasional 3. EJ Miller ran the PG position very well and made several very difficult baskets. Both of them have gotten MUCH better since last year. I'm starting to become a big fan of both EJ and John Ross. Also, the defense of the whole team is in your face the whole game. I'm starting to think that USJ might do something in DII either this year or next.

On a side note to yankees or any of the others that have really kept up with John Ross and EJ....Just how good are they?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRG is a legit player. I've seen him in AAU and HS ball and he has gotten better each time out. E. J. is decent but definately not a game changer. USJ will be good but the problem is that once they play outside of the Jackson area their rough style of play leads to alot of fouls and foul shots.

John Ross Glover is a legit High Major prospect. He has made a name for himself on the circuit and in some BIG TIME camps against some of the best players in the country. I would love to see him go to Purdue or Butler. With Glover it's all about AAU because he sees no serious competition in high school....the level of competition USJ plays is really no better than a good single A district. Glover is a smart kid (honors) and could easily get a very very good academic scholarship but hey the kid is a fantastic baller so he will end up at one of those good academic schools with a solid basketball program. I wouldn't be surprised if Vandy is on him but I don't know that to be the case.

Miller may end up NAIA but that's about it in my opinion.

JCS played at USJ last night. JCS started very strong and USJ couldn't get anything going. I'll have to give it to coach Russell because he did not over coach and let the game come to him. USJ started scoring in 2nd quarter and JCS just appeared to change what they had been doing in 1st Q. Kinda strange. Coach Johnson of JCS started subing very early in 4Q which I thought was kinda early. USJ had a good effort on defense which helped turn the momentum of game. EJ Miller and John Ross had good games but both started slow. E.J. showed better decision making as did Lee Mayhall who ran point most of the night. John Ross had a couple of big dunks and scored most from paint and short range. He will not be able to score in this area as much on the next level. He needs to step out more. They have a very good team around them. JCS has a good team also and I look for them to come on strong after Christmas. JCS's Daniel Sears is a good PG but has been out due to injury and he will get his handles back. Drae Bowles has a presence in the middle but needs to take more shots. I like the play of Avery Cupples also.

JCS played at USJ last night. JCS started very strong and USJ couldn't get anything going. I'll have to give it to coach Russell because he did not over coach and let the game come to him. USJ started scoring in 2nd quarter and JCS just appeared to change what they had been doing in 1st Q. Kinda strange. Coach Johnson of JCS started subing very early in 4Q which I thought was kinda early. USJ had a good effort on defense which helped turn the momentum of game. EJ Miller and John Ross had good games but both started slow. E.J. showed better decision making as did Lee Mayhall who ran point most of the night. John Ross had a couple of big dunks and scored most from paint and short range. He will not be able to score in this area as much on the next level. He needs to step out more. They have a very good team around them. JCS has a good team also and I look for them to come on strong after Christmas. JCS's Daniel Sears is a good PG but has been out due to injury and he will get his handles back. Drae Bowles has a presence in the middle but needs to take more shots. I like the play of Avery Cupples also.

This team has all the potential in the world regardless of the competition (or lack there of as some have stated). As long as they play together as a team and put personal numbers aside, the sky is the limit. Sometimes they get a little (or a lot) one dimensional and it will not take long for talented teams to collapse and shut down the inside game. Miller can light it up, yet seems to be in a little slump right now Knowing how hard this kid works, I can assure you that he will not stay there long as was evident over the last couple of games.

Glover is fun to watch yet I disagree with utfan3 as far as needing to step out more. Why would I do that if NOONE at this level had been able to stop me to date? I think he needs to kick it back out every now and then which only open up the middle for him that much more. Right now he seems to be destined to go to goal regardless of the situation and ends up sometimes with some very difficult shots (which he still makes more often than not!).

Miller needs to move to the 2 and stay there. Not sure what position he will be asked to play at the next level but Mayhall needs to run the point and let Miller shoot. Mayhall is not a scorer and EJ will better benefit scoring wise from the off guard spot rather than the point. This would also open up more opportunities for Mayhall to drive which he used to do very well.

Pierce, Winslow and Fendly can all shoot extremely well, yet are getting very few opportunities to date. Involving these 3 more from the outside will not only open the middle up for Glover yet create penetration opportunities for Miller and Mayhall.

Grady Hall is a welcome staple in the middle. You see an entirely different team in the game when he subs in. Ball movement becomes the goal and the outside game becomes more prominent than with Glover. It's an added dimension and look that will be something teams have to deal with.

Overbey is the only other really getting any playing time and provides some rest throughout the game for the others. He's rusty as far as basketball is concerned and should be of more help later on throughout the year.

This should be a fun team to watch throughout the year and if they learn to play together, they will only get better.

Let's can put personal goals and numbers aside and realize that they have a chance to do something as a team that they will remember far longer than what their stat line said for one specific game.

If you haven't had a chance to see Miller and Glover play you should.....it's worth the cost of admission for a true basketball fan.

This team has all the potential in the world regardless of the competition (or lack there of as some have stated). As long as they play together as a team and put personal numbers aside, the sky is the limit. Sometimes they get a little (or a lot) one dimensional and it will not take long for talented teams to collapse and shut down the inside game. Miller can light it up, yet seems to be in a little slump right now Knowing how hard this kid works, I can assure you that he will not stay there long as was evident over the last couple of games.

Glover is fun to watch yet I disagree with utfan3 as far as needing to step out more. Why would I do that if NOONE at this level had been able to stop me to date? I think he needs to kick it back out every now and then which only open up the middle for him that much more. Right now he seems to be destined to go to goal regardless of the situation and ends up sometimes with some very difficult shots (which he still makes more often than not!).

Miller needs to move to the 2 and stay there. Not sure what position he will be asked to play at the next level but Mayhall needs to run the point and let Miller shoot. Mayhall is not a scorer and EJ will better benefit scoring wise from the off guard spot rather than the point. This would also open up more opportunities for Mayhall to drive which he used to do very well.

Pierce, Winslow and Fendly can all shoot extremely well, yet are getting very few opportunities to date. Involving these 3 more from the outside will not only open the middle up for Glover yet create penetration opportunities for Miller and Mayhall.

Grady Hall is a welcome staple in the middle. You see an entirely different team in the game when he subs in. Ball movement becomes the goal and the outside game becomes more prominent than with Glover. It's an added dimension and look that will be something teams have to deal with.

Overbey is the only other really getting any playing time and provides some rest throughout the game for the others. He's rusty as far as basketball is concerned and should be of more help later on throughout the year.

This should be a fun team to watch throughout the year and if they learn to play together, they will only get better.

Let's can put personal goals and numbers aside and realize that they have a chance to do something as a team that they will remember far longer than what their stat line said for one specific game.

If you haven't had a chance to see Miller and Glover play you should.....it's worth the cost of admission for a true basketball fan.

Asitis

TOTALLY agree with all you say. This team could be special. To clarify re Glover the "next level" I meant DI upper mid major class of college where i think he may end up. I understand he is being recruited by several colleges in that class. He will not be able to make these shots at that level with the success he seems to have now. He will be recruited as a 3 powerfoward more than likely is my take on him.

Asitis

TOTALLY agree with all you say. This team could be special. To clarify re Glover the "next level" I meant DI upper mid major class of college where i think he may end up. I understand he is being recruited by several colleges in that class. He will not be able to make these shots at that level with the success he seems to have now. He will be recruited as a 3 powerfoward more than likely is my take on him.

I understood what you meant, and I agree he will need to change positions at the next level. My point was only that at this level as far as the teams's success goes, he needs to continue to dominate inside until someone proves they can stop him. Like I said though...and if you've watched over the last couple of years, eventually good coaches will immediately drop 5 in the box with the first post pass. In my opinion, kicking it back out a couple of times and opening up the floor with Miller and the rest of them will only benefit him more with better looks?

Although like someone said earlier about doing something this year or next, my thoughts are that it needs to be this year. Miller and Pierce are 3 year starters and only Glover, Mayhall and Winslow will be back next year (and Fendley will be a Junior). They will need to find that true 2 guard to fill Millers shoes and handle the pressure. I just think that although next year they will be fine..it needs to happen this year.

The move to DII was the best thing they could have done, yet in my opion, this is the best team Russell has had in a while. As with the football team, it will hurt them come tournament time to have some very weak teams in this classification. When you ease through with easy wins for weeks, you suffer when you actually have to play someone?

I do disagree with you about JCS however. I don't see much there nor a lot of room for improvement. They just seemed to throw shots up (one kid actually hit the cheerleaders with a 3 I think). Bowles is a great athelete but not a baskeball player. As the kids mature and size becomes less of an issue, that dominance you had over the years based on atheleticism and size disappears. And why you start the 4th quarter with your JV team didn't make any sense to me either. Yes, you were probably down 20, but stranger things have happened?

I've heard the same about Glover....mid-major. I am afraid he has gotten stuck in that mid-size range where another couple inches of height would have propelled him to a whole other category. Ending up at a school where he has to play the post has not helped him either and limited his ability to progress as a 2 or 3?

Either way, you know how hard he works and I look for him to prove most of the nay-sayers wrong. Barkley was 6'-4" if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck to this team. They will find out soon enough just how special a time like this can be.

USJ won over Fayette Academy last night. I've seen them play better. EJ Miller and John Ross Glove continue to lead in Scoring but the team is really looking like they are playing together. sharp passing and moving on offense. Defense is good. Really didn't understand why the Fayette coach took Ethan Moffett out and set him so long in Second Quarter.

USJ won over Fayette Academy last night. I've seen them play better. EJ Miller and John Ross Glove continue to lead in Scoring but the team is really looking like they are playing together. sharp passing and moving on offense. Defense is good. Really didn't understand why the Fayette coach took Ethan Moffett out and set him so long in Second Quarter.

The thing easily overlooked about USJ this year is their defense. It is in your face, hard-nosed defense. Mayhall needs to quit fouling the other teams elbows with his face, as he was called for last night :blush:

The thing easily overlooked about USJ this year is their defense. It is in your face, hard-nosed defense. Mayhall needs to quit fouling the other teams elbows with his face, as he was called for last night :blush:

I guess after watching the first part of the season, that is the thing that has impressed me the most. All of them seem to be leaving everything they have on the floor defensively. They still are not playing but 7 or so and I am afraid that foul trouble will be an issue down the road.

Ball movement was better the other night. It is just a matter of time before all the pieces of this team come together. Looking forward to the Christmas tournament to see how we do outside of district play. Starting slow seems to be the norm, yet I am impressed with the way these kids are playing right now.

I'm not trying to get anything started by asking this question, however a couple of years ago people were on here bashing USJ's coach saying he was holding them back etc. After watching them a couple of weeks ago, I don't really see anything different that USJ has changed except for the fact they got after it extremely hard on defense. What has this coach changed over the past few years that have really turned USJ basketball into something to watch?

I'm not trying to get anything started by asking this question, however a couple of years ago people were on here bashing USJ's coach saying he was holding them back etc. After watching them a couple of weeks ago, I don't really see anything different that USJ has changed except for the fact they got after it extremely hard on defense. What has this coach changed over the past few years that have really turned USJ basketball into something to watch?

I guess you could say that I was probably guilty of getting involved in that as well. In my opinion, I think the move to D2 plus having talent (all be it the same kids just older) seems to have revived that fire that Coach Russell was always known to have.

What I just said sounded good, but I think you know the real story. Sadly, win and your a great coach, lose and you're not. Just the mind set of today's society and the sometimes over involvlement of disgruntled parents.

Getting after it defensively comes with knowing you have a chance to win if you ask me? Face it, I'm not on here to bash D2 by any means, yet there are some pretty weak teams in the smaller division? Even so, you are playing in the classification that was created by the powers be that you belong in, so winning is an accomplishment still the same?

I personally wish they would schedule some non-district competition (outside of the Holiday Tournaments) just to see where they stand.

Even so, not letting Russell of the hook completely. I still think he loses control every once and again with some of them and the substitutions seem a little sparatic. He's only playing 7 or so and sometimes he seems to let some of them get tired before resting. Other than that, I think he is doing a good job coaching to his strenghts and letting each kid know their role on the team.