Division II All State Team

footballfan1111

I know that Furman is looking at him by Coach Sorrels who got Todd his oldest brother over their. Fowler at Vanderbilt too. The thing with Prevost is that this is his first year playing linebacker I think he might have played d-line last year. And yes some of his plays were inconsistent but he made huge plays for the Ensworth defense. With his size and ability he should be a top prospect in the state next year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Furman is looking at him by Coach Sorrels who got Todd his oldest brother over their. Fowler at Vanderbilt too. The thing with Prevost is that this is his first year playing linebacker I think he might have played d-line last year. And yes some of his plays were inconsistent but he made huge plays for the Ensworth defense. With his size and ability he should be a top prospect in the state next year.

I agree, and if I am not mistaken he played at McCallie last year? One more year at linebacker will do him wonders. I am excited to see where the kid ends up. Top prospect? I don't know about that, but he will be one of the better defensive players in Divison II I am sure.

Also worth noting, the BA db was an inexperienced soph that got put into that position when BA's Derek King came out with an injury. Also worth noting, BA did not seem to be in a prevent defense and Dingess was played one on one by this inexperienced db, with no safety help. Taking nothing away from Parker, but he just threw it as far as possible and hoped Dingess would find it. The whole play was a "Hail Mary" not a play to pick all DII players from.

DIngess and Parker may be deserving of DII ALL State but you have to look at the season, not just one play.

Shakein, I agree one play does not a season make. This was just meant as additional piece of information. The 3rd and 28 that was converted earlier in the second half against Derek King, in tight converage, along the EHS sideline was a more difficult catch. I think that one went for about 40 yards also.

There are at least 4 or 5 WR's that are deserving. It will be close.

My opinion Prevost is just as good as Kay if not better. His stats show it and his size. Kay should be replaced by Prevost in the all state standings.

I don't understand this theory. Forget this particular debate/comparison. If two players have the same stats, are you saying all-state should be awarded to the player with "size"? If so, what would be the percentage allocation between height and weight to determine "size"?

Edited by rollredroll

I don't understand this theory. Forget this particular debate/comparison. If two players have the same stats, are you saying all-state should be awarded to the player with "size"? If so, what would be the percentage allocation between height and weight to determine "size"?

I've seen numerous games on both, and beg to differ. Prevost had 15 more tackles in one more game, but no forced/recovered fumbles, while Kay had two for each. Stats do not necessarily show how one plays the game however, and if you have watched them closely, you will clearly see the better high school linebacker. As far as projecting towards college and recruiting, Prevost definitely the edge on that because of his height and speed.

But to comment on Shakin's post, what does size have to do with anything? And what is your definition of size? I think Prevost is about 6'0 210, while Kay is more of a stockier build. About 5'10 225 I'd say. So what does size have to do with anything? They are both big boys. In high school you can be 5'5 and still be a great player, and that is the beauty of the sport. Size does not affect anything.

But on to Pecos1, I totally agree with your statement that there are 4 or 5 receiver's worth all state recognition. Talent wise, the top 3 are Batey, Garlington, and Hale, in no specific order. But Dingess has made his case with the clutch plays. His BA and Baylor catches will be remembered for a long time. Any 4 of these receivers should be considered.

I've seen numerous games on both, and beg to differ. Prevost had 15 more tackles in one more game, but no forced/recovered fumbles, while Kay had two for each. Stats do not necessarily show how one plays the game however, and if you have watched them closely, you will clearly see the better high school linebacker. As far as projecting towards college and recruiting, Prevost definitely the edge on that because of his height and speed.

But to comment on Shakin's post, what does size have to do with anything? And what is your definition of size? I think Prevost is about 6'0 210, while Kay is more of a stockier build. About 5'10 225 I'd say. So what does size have to do with anything? They are both big boys. In high school you can be 5'5 and still be a great player, and that is the beauty of the sport. Size does not affect anything.

But on to Pecos1, I totally agree with your statement that there are 4 or 5 receiver's worth all state recognition. Talent wise, the top 3 are Batey, Garlington, and Hale, in no specific order. But Dingess has made his case with the clutch plays. His BA and Baylor catches will be remembered for a long time. Any 4 of these receivers should be considered.

I assume you quoted the wrong quote, as I don't think you can differ with someone who didn't offer an opinion on or choice of the two LBs in question in the first place.

I agree on the size issue, and that's why I made the height/weight allocation query. What is "size"? Is a taller person who weighs less than a shorter person considered to have a size advantage or disadvantage? The point being, if a voter looked at two players with similar stats and was asked to break the tie on "size", I don't know how in the world the voter would know where to start (particularly with the example at hand, with two equally yet differently "sized" big men).

I assume you quoted the wrong quote, as I don't think you can differ with someone who didn't offer an opinion on or choice of the two LBs in question in the first place.

I agree on the size issue, and that's why I made the height/weight allocation query. What is "size"? Is a taller person who weighs less than a shorter person considered to have a size advantage or disadvantage? The point being, if a voter looked at two players with similar stats and was asked to break the tie on "size", I don't know how in the world the voter would know where to start (particularly with the example at hand, with two equally yet differently "sized" big men).

My intentions were to quote both, my apologize.

According to http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_allstate2009DIIAA.htm, there will be 4 defensive lineman, 5 linebackers, and 3 running backs, and 5 DB's, which are different than the current list. So if the all state team is similar format to last years, than it should be:

Offense

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

RB-Tyler Franks-MBA-???????

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

WR- David Dingess- Ensworth

Defense

DL-Kennan Crenshaw-Ensworth

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Matt Murphy-Christian Brothers

DL-Woody Barron-BA

LB-Jarrod Coleman-McCallie

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-James Kay-MBA

LB-Steve Varnado- Christian Brothers

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Kwazel Bertrand-BA?????

DB-Derek King-BA

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

They don't list tight end as a position for all state so Thomson will likely be left off the team. He had 101 tackles at linebacker so perhaps he could make it on defense.

If you don't mind me asking, it is very apparent that you lean towards MBA, so why aren't you making a push for Conor Caldwell? After Reigel, Caldwell was probably the best defender on that team.

Conor was a great player this year, no question in that. However when you look at the list, he can hold his own but is not quite as good as those boys. I was only able to attend, MBA v BA, MBA v Ensworth X 2, and the MBA Baylor game. He seemed to have a good game, but in all the defensive lineman for the other teams stole the show (Crenshaw, Mackey, and Baron). I would really like to see Conor on the list, and although I have not met him, I have heard he exemplifies the "Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete" motto of MBA. I try not to be biased towards my alma mater (although I generally find myself failing), and give more of an accurate representation of what the list should be. I do think Conor will be all region because he definitely the 4th best defensive lineman in the middle/east region.