Division II All State Team

footballfan1111

I agree, it's a close call. I hope he gets it.

Dingess and Batey both could be substituted for Hale. Both are great athletes and will move on after high school to college ball. Batey is one of the most phenomenal athletes I have seen this year. He is a physical specimen and will make his high school very proud one day.

As far as Edmiston, he was a great addition to the Ensworth secondary this year. He has really good ball skills, but his tackling is lacking, and as a strong safety your supporting the run game most of the time.

I have seen Parker and Beathard play, and while Beathard has the better arm and accuracy, you may have a point. Parker has come up huge in big games, and was one of the reasons for win streak Ensworth rattled off.

I have seen Varnado play only once this year, and while he was good, I did not think he was near at the level of Kay. I assume your getting these stats off of the Tennessee Super Prep Conference website, but I think Kay had closer to 80 tackles and a few forced/recovered fumbles (based off unapproved website, where the school breaks down the film and posts the stats). And while yes, Varnado still had better stats, watch the two play and you will see what I am talking about. Kay's the best in the middle in the league.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

WR- David Dingess- Ensworth

Defense

DL-Kennan Crenshaw-Ensworth

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Matt Murphy-Christian Brothers

DE-Jarrod Coleman-McCallie

DE-Woody Barron-BA

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-Steve Varnado- Christian Brothers

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Derek King-BA

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

Here's a new one, i would also consider putting in MBA DE Connor Caldwell.

Offense

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

Defense

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DE-Jarrod Coleman-McCallie

DE-Woody Barron-BA

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-James Kay- MBA

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Derek King-BA

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

Here's a new one, i would also consider putting in MBA DE Connor Caldwell.

You are right in that the victor gets the spoils and for that reason Parker may have the edge over Beathard who was brilliant most of the year. He beat Derek King so badly that BA took King out of the game. A late interception against MBA cost BGA a win and Parker was mistake free.

You are right in that the victor gets the spoils and for that reason Parker may have the edge over Beathard who was brilliant most of the year. He beat Derek King so badly that BA took King out of the game. A late interception against MBA cost BGA a win and Parker was mistake free.

According to http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_allstate2009DIIAA.htm, there will be 4 defensive lineman, 5 linebackers, and 3 running backs, and 5 DB's, which are different than the current list. So if the all state team is similar format to last years, than it should be:

Offense

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

RB-Tyler Franks-MBA-???????

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

Defense

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Woody Barron-BA

LB-Jarrod Coleman-McCallie

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-James Kay-MBA

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Kwazel Bertrand-BA?????

DB-Derek King-BA

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

Edited by footballfan1111

According to http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_allstate2009DIIAA.htm, there will be 4 defensive lineman, 5 linebackers, and 3 running backs, and 5 DB's, which are different than the current list. So if the all state team is similar format to last years, than it should be:

Offense

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

RB-Tyler Franks-MBA-???????

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

Defense

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Woody Barron-BA

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-James Kay-MBA

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Kwazel Bertrand-BA?????

DB-Derek King-BA

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

With the presumed additional spots, the best players have been mentioned in this list. Renfro is a great punter and headed to, I believe,Northwestern on a scholarship. Is Baker better? We need some help here from someone who has seen them both this year. What about Spellman? I am not sure that he even played last year. I do know he beat BGA on a long kick.I have seen Beathard light it up where the crowd is amazed and have not sen that from Parker but he is steady and solid. I could go either way on these two.

With the presumed additional spots, the best players have been mentioned in this list. Renfro is a great punter and headed to, I believe,Northwestern on a scholarship. Is Baker better? We need some help here from someone who has seen them both this year. What about Spellman? I am not sure that he even played last year. I do know he beat BGA on a long kick.I have seen Beathard light it up where the crowd is amazed and have not sen that from Parker but he is steady and solid. I could go either way on these two.

These are two different quarterbacks that were required to take on very different roles for their respected teams. Parker was more of a field general in a more pro-style offense (hence less passing attempts). Whereas Beathard was called on to run a spread offense, requiring more passing opportunities. Parker was more than able to electrify the crowd on multiple occasions. The two most memorable came against the unlikeliest of odds and on the biggest of stages of the year. He led the game winning drive against BA in the Semifinals, taking the team 92 yards on 4 of 4 passing in 1 minute, converting a 3rd and 37 along the way. Pretty impressive. Then, there is the game winning drive of the State Finals. Parker drove Ensworth 55 yards in the final 1:30, capping off the drive with a touchdown pass with only 7 seconds remaining in the game (not to mention earning the State Finals offensive MVP). With that said, Beathard was extremely impressive himself, putting up huge numbers and leading his team to the semifinals. I would give the edge to Parker but it would not upset me to see Beathard earn it either.

These are two different quarterbacks that were required to take on very different roles for their respected teams. Parker was more of a field general in a more pro-style offense (hence less passing attempts). Whereas Beathard was called on to run a spread offense, requiring more passing opportunities. Parker was more than able to electrify the crowd on multiple occasions. The two most memorable came against the unlikeliest of odds and on the biggest of stages of the year. He led the game winning drive against BA in the Semifinals, taking the team 92 yards on 4 of 4 passing in 1 minute, converting a 3rd and 37 along the way. Pretty impressive. Then, there is the game winning drive of the State Finals. Parker drove Ensworth 55 yards in the final 1:30, capping off the drive with a touchdown pass with only 7 seconds remaining in the game (not to mention earning the State Finals offensive MVP). With that said, Beathard was extremely impressive himself, putting up huge numbers and leading his team to the semifinals. I would give the edge to Parker but it would not upset me to see Beathard earn it either.

Worth noting, the 3rd and 37 in the BA game was a pass to Dingess where he just went up and caught it at the highest point, way above the smaller DB. It was a pro-style catch. Also more in favor of Parker; he never seemed to be rattled. If he had just coverted 3rd and 37 or thrown a pick he would have the same demeaner, calm and confident.

Worth noting, the 3rd and 37 in the BA game was a pass to Dingess where he just went up and caught it at the highest point, way above the smaller DB. It was a pro-style catch. Also more in favor of Parker; he never seemed to be rattled. If he had just coverted 3rd and 37 or thrown a pick he would have the same demeaner, calm and confident.

Also worth noting, the BA db was an inexperienced soph that got put into that position when BA's Derek King came out with an injury. Also worth noting, BA did not seem to be in a prevent defense and Dingess was played one on one by this inexperienced db, with no safety help. Taking nothing away from Parker, but he just threw it as far as possible and hoped Dingess would find it. The whole play was a "Hail Mary" not a play to pick all DII players from.

DIngess and Parker may be deserving of DII ALL State but you have to look at the season, not just one play.

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

RB- Nantambu Fentress- Ensworth*

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

Defense

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Woody Barron

LB-James Kay- MBA

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Derek King-BA

DB- Rodney Edmiston- Ensworth

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS**

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

*Tyler Franks-MBA would also work here. Had a great year, averaged 92 and was MBA's best offensive player in my opinion.

*Radir Anoor- BA could take this spot as well, in some games he looked more effective that Caro. He has lighting speed and was a real nightmare for defenses.

The reason I put Fentress in is because he played effectively on both sides of the ball as a RB and a LB. A team leader that does almost everything right.

**Nathan Renfroe is probably the best punter I've seen this year. Would not be surprised if he beat out Baker.

QB- Jacob Huesman-Baylor

QB-Drew Parker-Ensworth

RB-Corn Elder-Ensworth

RB-Victor Caro-BA

RB- Nantambu Fentress- Ensworth*

OL-Ben Still- MUS

OL-Austin Hicks-McCallie

OL-Conner Caruthers-MUS

OL-Barret Cougar-Baylor

OL- Graham Shuler-BA

TE- Blake Thomson- BGA

WR- Keenan Hale-McCallie

Defense

DL-John Mackey-Baylor

DL-Woody Barron

LB-James Kay- MBA

LB-Davis Helton-Baylor

LB-Henry Dickinson- MUS

DB-Josh Smith-BGA

DB-Cory Batey-Ensworth

DB-Joe Reigle-MBA

DB-Derek King-BA

DB- Rodney Edmiston- Ensworth

ATH-Weldon Garlington-BA

P-Toby Baker-MUS**

K-Phillip Spellman-MBA

*Tyler Franks-MBA would also work here. Had a great year, averaged 92 and was MBA's best offensive player in my opinion.

*Radir Anoor- BA could take this spot as well, in some games he looked more effective that Caro. He has lighting speed and was a real nightmare for defenses.

The reason I put Fentress in is because he played effectively on both sides of the ball as a RB and a LB. A team leader that does almost everything right.

**Nathan Renfroe is probably the best punter I've seen this year. Would not be surprised if he beat out Baker.

Hdcastle I really like this list. Fentress could very well be in there at running back. He played solid all year for Ensworth. I would probably throw in Renfro as kicker, and keep backer at punter. I think Renfro is going to college as a punter, but he did both this year well, while Baker primarily punted.

Auburnfan42 I followed Ensworth this year and watched Prevost closely (I knew two of his elder brothers at MBA), and although he improved steadily throughout the year, I do not think he is all state worthy. In my opinion he was a little inconsistent on some of his reads and I would notice would be in the wrong hole sometimes on defense. This was often covered up because of Ensworth's speed on defense, which is a true credit to them. I don't know if I have seen a defense that fast in the past 5-6 years. Also I do not think Prevost had 101 tackles, 4 sacks or a pick. I think his stats were more along the lines of 95-2-0. He will be an all state selection as a senior mark my words. Auburnfan do you know if any colleges are looking at him? He has great size and I think can have an impact at the next level.

I agree that Fentress probably needs to be on the final consideration list as he did it right. You stated that well and it is an honet assessment. I do not think he was effective as the linebackers already noted so a slot at running back makes sense. There are so few slots that it will be close especially when Elder is the more likely pick at running back. That alone may keep Fentress from making All State. Renfro was just superb at punter and had a great year.

Franks was the only offensive threat for MBA and he had a very good year behind a young but ineffective offensive line. He deserves just consideration.

Prevost is a solid player but is not as good as the four on the list. He has another year so 2011 may be his time.