utc or mtsu

chattanoogaisbetter

If it's a setup or not doesn't matter.

UT-Chattanooga is the best wrestling program in the South HANDS down.

And I agree, anyone in the know wouldn't ask that question.

But as for walking on to programs and having a chance to wrestle for guys on the margin of being Division 1 wrestling, MTSU offers another option.

I hope no one out there thinks I would ever compare my developing program which is NCWA-D1 to UT-Chattanooga or even King College, Cumberland at this point.

If it's a setup or not doesn't matter.

UT-Chattanooga is the best wrestling program in the South HANDS down.

And I agree, anyone in the know wouldn't ask that question.

But as for walking on to programs and having a chance to wrestle for guys on the margin of being Division 1 wrestling, MTSU offers another option.

I hope no one out there thinks I would ever compare my developing program which is NCWA-D1 to UT-Chattanooga or even King College, Cumberland at this point.

Good Answer....

I would say with the hard work your putting in and how NCWA is developing you could rival King or Cumberland in the near future.

I will be graduating and I was wondering which college to

attend between utc and mtsu. I have heard that mtsu has

just as good of a wrestling program as utc. Can any one

confirm that?

Just in case this is a real question and not the more likely scenario of a wag trolling.

You are trying to compare apples to coconuts. They are not the same. UTC is NCAA D-1. While no one is going to mistake them for Iowa or Oklahoma anytime soon that is the arena they compete in. NCAA D-1 is the pinacle of college wrestling. D-1 wrestlers should be living and breathing wrestling 24/7. This isn't for the casual wrestler. UTC wrestling is a business. Paid staff, big budget, etc. Way different place from MTSU which is trying to raise funds privately and depends largely on volunteers. To even consider going to a D-1 program you should already have one heck of a high school wrestling resume or have just tons of untapped athletic potential.

MTSU is a growing club program. A great option for a lot of people who may not want the pressure of a D-1 program but stil want to wrestle. You can wrestle to your ability, plenty of open tournaments if you are a stud. Room for average and in some cases beginners to enjoy the sport post high school. As the NWCA attracts more and more schools no doubt more and more D-1 caliber guys will find themselves wrestling for NWCA schools and clubs that have the ability to raise funds and keep very highly qualified coaches may one day give some of the NCAA programs real competition if they are allowed to wrestle. A little off topic but if you look at the number of NCAA programs dropped recently and the trend is continueing, NWCA and the NAIA may well be the future of college wrestling. Every high schooler in the south east is not going to be able to attend UTC so some of these smaller and newer programs will be attractive options to many wishing to stay with the sport.

Just in case this is a real question and not the more likely scenario of a wag trolling.

You are trying to compare apples to coconuts. They are not the same. UTC is NCAA D-1. While no one is going to mistake them for Iowa or Oklahoma anytime soon that is the arena they compete in. NCAA D-1 is the pinacle of college wrestling. D-1 wrestlers should be living and breathing wrestling 24/7. This isn't for the casual wrestler. UTC wrestling is a business. Paid staff, big budget, etc. Way different place from MTSU which is trying to raise funds privately and depends largely on volunteers. To even consider going to a D-1 program you should already have one heck of a high school wrestling resume or have just tons of untapped athletic potential.

MTSU is a growing club program. A great option for a lot of people who may not want the pressure of a D-1 program but stil want to wrestle. You can wrestle to your ability, plenty of open tournaments if you are a stud. Room for average and in some cases beginners to enjoy the sport post high school. As the NWCA attracts more and more schools no doubt more and more D-1 caliber guys will find themselves wrestling for NWCA schools and clubs that have the ability to raise funds and keep very highly qualified coaches may one day give some of the NCAA programs real competition if they are allowed to wrestle. A little off topic but if you look at the number of NCAA programs dropped recently and the trend is continueing, NWCA and the NAIA may well be the future of college wrestling. Every high schooler in the south east is not going to be able to attend UTC so some of these smaller and newer programs will be attractive options to many wishing to stay with the sport.

NWCA- national wrestling coaches assiociation

NCWA- national collegiate wrestling association

MTSU is a growing club program. A great option for a lot of people who may not want the pressure of a D-1 program but stil want to wrestle. You can wrestle to your ability, plenty of open tournaments if you are a stud. Room for average and in some cases beginners to enjoy the sport post high school.

maj,

I know you weren't trying to give a negative impression, but MTSU is no longer a CLUB program (the budget comes out of student fees from the sports club department--there is a difference)...MTSU is recognized through the NCWA as a NCWA-D1 program akin to a Varsity NCAA Program. Not only do NCWA-D1 programs compete against the NCAA-D1, they have won several matches just this year and last. Feel free to visit UMBC, Apprentice, West Chester, Central Florida wrestling sites. Many NCAA-D1 programs have started using the NCWA as a way to get redshirts a year of actual coaching instead of just open wrestling w/ USNAPS, USMAPS, USAFAPS, and Marion Military. Teams transitioning from NAIA to NCAA-D2 and NCAA-D2 to NCAA-D1 are also competing in postseason events within the NCWA due to NCAA postseason restrictions (see: California Baptist <NCAA-D2> and Southern Illinois - Edwardsville <NCAA-D1>)

Also--MTSU does not compete in "OPEN" tournaments exclusively. Here is the 2010-2011 schedule in it's entirety (only 3 opens--all recognized as top tournaments) that are attended by NAIA, NCAA-D2 and NCAA-D1:

10/30/2010 Bear Invitational (Mercer University) Macon, GA

11/06/2010 MTSU Alumni Duals (vs. Kennesaw State University, University of Dayton, University of Southern Indiana) Murfreesboro, TN

11/13/2010 Roman Open (Shorter University) Rome, GA

11/20/2010 Dayton Flyer Invitational (University of Dayton) Dayton, OH

12/11/2010 @ East Tennessee State University Johnson City, TN

01/15/2011 Cumberland Open (Cumberland University) Lebanon, TN

01/18/2011 HOME DUAL Murfreesboro, TN

01/22/2011 Builder Invitational (The Apprentice School) Newport News, VA

01/28/2011 NCWA National Duals (Day 1) Dalton, GA

01/29/2011 NCWA National Duals (Day 2) Dalton, GA

02/05/2011 Missouri Valley Open Marshall, MO

02/12/2011 Toledo Invitational (University of Toledo) Toledo, OH

02/15/2011 NCWA Tennessee Duals Murfreesboro, TN

02/26/2011 NCWA Mid-Atlantic Conference Championship Buena Vista, VA

03/10/2011 NCWA National Championship (Day 1) Macon, GA

03/11/2011 NCWA National Championship (Day 2) Macon, GA

03/12/2011 NCWA National Championship (Day 3) Macon, GA

Some of MTSU's wrestlers already have 15 matches under their belt which is more than MOST NCAA Division 1 wrestlers at this point in the season.

Unfortunately Title IX has denegrated the sport of wrestling and taken away programs from NCAA-D1. The NCWA is the wrestling community's RESPONSE to Title IX and the NCWA will be one way wrestling continues to grow in America.

Furthermore,

Anyone thinking of coming to MTSU to wrestle as a "club wrestler" can plan on going elsewhere or just concentrating on studies...there is room for walk-ons, but for men AND women looking to take their wrestling career to the next level in college.

Several options available for club right now such as Austin Peay, UT-Knoxville, and Lee University. Which by the way could be solid if area leaders stepped up (as they are in Knoxville) to help grow the teams there.

If you want to be part of a program in TN in the NCWA, current teams are MTSU, ETSU, and Tenn Temple (when new coach is hired).