GP - Wilson Central Meet on Monday 12/20

MMcCroskey

Second round action at the Smoky Mountain Tournament in Gatlinburg this Monday pits Gatlinburg-Pittman (AA) against Wilson Central (AAA) at 6PM. Should be a quality match-up.

CoachT strength/success rankings show Wilson Central currently #2 in TN AAA, but I noticed no votes for them in the Top 20 fan poll - anyone have any insight on just how good Wilson Central is? I understand they have some very good junior year players.

Looking forward to the game!

Other championship bracket features Beech and Central Hardin I believe.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second round action at the Smoky Mountain Tournament in Gatlinburg this Monday pits Gatlinburg-Pittman (AA) against Wilson Central (AAA) at 6PM. Should be a quality match-up.

CoachT strength/success rankings show Wilson Central currently #2 in TN AAA, but I noticed no votes for them in the Top 20 fan poll - anyone have any insight on just how good Wilson Central is? I understand they have some very good junior year players.

Looking forward to the game!

Other championship bracket features Beech and Central Hardin I believe.

GP takes on Beech in the finals of the Smoky Mountain Tournament tonight in Gatlinburg at 7:30.

GP beat a very solid AAA Wilson Central 65-57 to make the finals. Beech downed Central Hardin to complete the pairing.

Wilson Central is down this year. Beech lost the majority of their contributors from last season. Both are playing .500 basketball. Both have been good the last few years, so you can't fault GP for thinking they were bringing in some quality competition. Saw where Carter is playing in Gaffney's tournament and traveled to Alabama at Thnskgiving. Hopefully, GP can get over the hump this season. I think their out of district play hurt last year in preparing them for league play. Arby's Classic is just what they need. It should be an interesting stretch with district play really starting to shake out the better teams.

Edited by HOOPSGURU

Wilson Central is down this year. Beech lost the majority of their contributors from last season. Both are playing .500 basketball. Both have been good the last few years, so you can't fault GP for thinking they were bringing in some quality competition. Saw where Carter is playing in Gaffney's tournament and traveled to Alabama at Thnskgiving. Hopefully, GP can get over the hump this season. I think their out of district play hurt last year in preparing them for league play. Arby's Classic is just what they need. It should be an interesting stretch with district play really starting to shake out the better teams.

Not sure of their exact record, but Wilson Central is showing 8-2 and Beech is showing 5-5 on unapproved website atm. Both are AAA to GPs AA. Wilson Central is shown as #2 AAA in TN currently here on CoachT; of course this early it is more guess than anything else I would agree.

You never know, but GP scheduled all AAA schools this year for non-district play, other than their opener with Hancock County, and they currently sport a 10-1 record. Their only loss is to AAA Cocke County at CC, and as I recall they blew a 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter in that loss.

No question, they will find out exactly where they are as they enter the first round of the Arby's Classic on Monday.

Like I said, it is early, but it looks like Carter and GP are going to battle for the top of District 3 AA, but AE is young and shows serious potential as well.

Not sure of their exact record, but Wilson Central is showing 8-2 and Beech is showing 5-5 on unapproved website atm. Both are AAA to GPs AA. Wilson Central is shown as #2 AAA in TN currently here on CoachT; of course this early it is more guess than anything else I would agree.

You never know, but GP scheduled all AAA schools this year for non-district play, other than their opener with Hancock County, and they currently sport a 10-1 record. Their only loss is to AAA Cocke County at CC, and as I recall they blew a 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter in that loss.

No question, they will find out exactly where they are as they enter the first round of the Arby's Classic on Monday.

Like I said, it is early, but it looks like Carter and GP are going to battle for the top of District 3 AA, but AE is young and shows serious potential as well.

Now now MMcCroskey, you still aint showing no love for Union County in the district, They came to GP and should have won the game up by 5 and then missed the front end of 2 one and ones to let GP get back in the game and finally pull out a hard fought 3 point win, I am sure Union County will have that rematch marked on their calendar when GP comes down there. I said earlier I think they are a contender in the district. Edited by mrdrano

The Patriots and the Falcons will both have a little say about how this district finishes.

I agree with you HOOPSGURU, both of these teams will be in the mix when all is said and done in this district, the Falcons are quick and dangerous, Campbell can go off at any time for 40 points and the rest of the team is getting better everyday, as for the Patriots they have 1 of the bigger teams in the district, Buckner and Cox can step up any night for 20 to 30 points apiece, this district is gonna produce some outstanding games. Gonna be very interesting. :thumb: :thumb:

I agree with you HOOPSGURU, both of these teams will be in the mix when all is said and done in this district, the Falcons are quick and dangerous, Campbell can go off at any time for 40 points and the rest of the team is getting better everyday, as for the Patriots they have 1 of the bigger teams in the district, Buckner and Cox can step up any night for 20 to 30 points apiece, this district is gonna produce some outstanding games. Gonna be very interesting. :thumb: :thumb:

Now you guys know me better than this lol. I certainly know both Union County and Fulton are VERY capable teams with solid talent; so on any given night, they are dangerous as a cocked pistol. I greatly respect both programs, and anyone looking over these teams would be making a serious mistake.

That said, at least based on play so far this year, both Fulton and UC have shown some spotty play.

UC has losses to Jefferson County and Cosby as well as GP. The GP game was a barn-burner, to say the least, but it is also true Buckner scored 32 of UC's 54 points. Wouldn't you agree UC has to show a more balanced attack if they are to make a serious run to place 1 or 2 in the district? Maybe they can do that, but as I said before this season even started, guard play will be the key for UC.

Fulton's challenge is chemistry. I realize that, although they are 2-7 atm, all of those losses were to solid opponents; but with the talent they have I do not think anyone would have predicted they would be 2-7 at this point in the season. A lot of "locker-room talk" has been floating around that would confirm Coach Wright has a serious challenge on his hands to get these guys playing as a unit.

Basketball is a tournament sport, and all these records won't mean squat come February. I still think District 3AA is one of the most competitive in the state, so it certainly won't surprise me if UC or Fulton make a run at that time. But based on play so far, I don't think my post was unfair.

BTW, it was great to meet you in person at the GP game, mrdrano. The GP-UC rivalry is fast becoming one of the top rivalries in the district. I certainly know the return trip to UC is going to be a great one, and can't wait to see the game!

Merry Christmas all!

Edited by MMcCroskey

Now you guys know me better than this lol. I certainly know both Union County and Fulton are VERY capable teams with solid talent; so on any given night, they are dangerous as a cocked pistol. I greatly respect both programs, and anyone looking over these teams would be making a serious mistake.

That said, at least based on play so far this year, both Fulton and UC have shown some spotty play.

UC has losses to Jefferson County and Cosby as well as GP. The GP game was a barn-burner, to say the least, but it is also true Buckner scored 32 of UC's 54 points. Wouldn't you agree UC has to show a more balanced attack if they are to make a serious run to place 1 or 2 in the district? Maybe they can do that, but as I said before this season even started, guard play will be the key for UC.

Fulton's challenge is chemistry. I realize that, although they are 2-7 atm, all of those losses were to solid opponents; but with the talent they have I do not think anyone would have predicted they would be 2-7 at this point in the season. A lot of "locker-room talk" has been floating around that would confirm Coach Wright has a serious challenge on his hands to get these guys playing as a unit.

Basketball is a tournament sport, and all these records won't mean squat come February. I still think District 3AA is one of the most competitive in the state, so it certainly won't surprise me if UC or Fulton make a run at that time. But based on play so far, I don't think my post was unfair.

BTW, it was great to meet you in person at the GP game, mrdrano. The GP-UC rivalry is fast becoming one of the top rivalries in the district. I certainly know the return trip to UC is going to be a great one, and can't wait to see the game!

Merry Christmas all!

You are correct saying this is a competitive district, any given night everyone has to play hard to win, but i think this is gonna be a 5 team race instead of 3, talent level is great, good luck in your game Monday against Sumter, SC done a little research on them they look like a pretty good team with size, good to meet you in person to, see you down the road in another gym somewhere. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

• 3 weeks later...

You are correct saying this is a competitive district, any given night everyone has to play hard to win, but i think this is gonna be a 5 team race instead of 3, talent level is great, good luck in your game Monday against Sumter, SC done a little research on them they look like a pretty good team with size, good to meet you in person to, see you down the road in another gym somewhere. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL