Memphis Schools to be Merged?

PHargis

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there is some scepticism, none of the details are out but other cities/counties have done the same thing. Citizens are always fearful of change, rezoning etc. it Is evident that citizens do want improvement. Comments on the article are also enclosed. Magnets, Charters may be on tap. Getting a fresh start has a good sound. Getting better control of discipline and organization all has a better sound. A lot of parents thruout the State are thinking about you and know the Memphis parents will make this work. Memphis has always made things work.

While there is some scepticism, none of the details are out but other cities/counties have done the same thing. Citizens are always fearful of change, rezoning etc. it Is evident that citizens do want improvement. Comments on the article are also enclosed. Magnets, Charters may be on tap. Getting a fresh start has a good sound. Getting better control of discipline and organization all has a better sound. A lot of parents thruout the State are thinking about you and know the Memphis parents will make this work. Memphis has always made things work.

get real...as someone who knows those folks all to well the city of memphis is not...i repeat NOT going to give up its control to the shelby county system...this is an attempt to consolidate with the same old folks in memphis in control. now be real man...do you think the good folks in the county are going to stand for this? you are about to see the germantown ssd, millington ssd, bartlet ssd, etc,etc,etc.

RR, it makes really no difference to the rest of us looking in. The citizens in memphis will either look forward or remain in the past. Its their choice. Maybe its the city who has the control but needing a fresh start? neither side can deny that or both may be blind. Just need leadership and theres plenty of that there. Just need to give it a chance

Group files suit seeking order for Memphis school referendum

By Lawrence Buser

Memphis Commercial Appeal

Posted January 12, 2011 at 5:04 p.m.

.EmailDiscussShare »

DiggFacebookLinkedInTweet thisPrintAAA.Showdown over Schools.Follow our coverage of the debate over whether Memphis City Schools will surrender its charter and merge with Shelby County Schools.

Showdown Over Schools. See all

21 photos

at full sizePrevious 1 of 21

Next.With a cooling-off compromise between city and county school boards freshly on the table, a group pushing for school consolidation moved in another direction late this afternoon by filing a suit asking a court to order a referendum.

Citizens for Better Education, which calls itself a single-issue interest group, said its members have a legal right to vote on the question of whether the Memphis City Schools should be transferred to the Shelby County Board of Education once the call for a vote was made by the city school board in December.

The suit, filed by attorney Allan Wade in Chancery Court, asks that the Shelby County Election Commission be ordered “to perform their official non-discretionary function of holding a referendum.â€

© 2011 Memphis Commercial

I'm with ruppsrunt on this one,the Memphis city school system is so far gone that the board of directors have to make drastic changes to turn it around.In my opinion they will never under any circumstance forfit control to the county,never! The plan,as it appears to me,is to consolidate the two seperate systems into one,relenquishing control to the county director of schools for a brief period,then reforming the board with nine members,six of which would be from the defunct city system.Can you say two-thirds majority? When all is said and done the original city system would have gained control of all rescources formerly held by Shelby Co.,including control of the director of schools(superintendent),as well as bolstering g.p.a. and graduation rate numbers. As for the special school districts being formed,that (unfortunately) can't happen at this time,due to legislation. The fine folks at the T.S.B.A. are currently pushing for a bill to be passed to allow the formation of s.s.d.'s again,but that'd be in the distant future,so the comparativly better schools in the outlying communities such as Germantown,Cordova,Bartlet...ect would be engulfed. With no other course of action,I think that parents,if they have the means will turn toward the private schools as an alternative. :ph34r:

Edited by tradertwo

I'm with ruppsrunt on this one,the Memphis city school system is so far gone that the board of directors have to make drastic changes to turn it around.In my opinion they will never under any circumstance forfit control to the county,never! The plan,as it appears to me,is to consolidate the two seperate systems into one,relenquishing control to the county director of schools for a brief period,then reforming the board with nine members,six of which would be from the defunct city system.Can you say two-thirds majority? When all is said and done the original city system would have gained control of all rescources formerly held by Shelby Co.,including control of the director of schools(superintendent),as well as bolstering g.p.a. and graduation rate numbers. As for the special school districts being formed,that (unfortunately) can't happen at this time,due to legislation. The fine folks at the T.S.B.A. are currently pushing for a bill to be passed to allow the formation of s.s.d.'s again,but that'd be in the distant future,so the comparativly better schools in the outlying communities such as Germantown,Cordova,Bartlet...ect would be engulfed. With no other course of action,I think that parents,if they have the means will turn toward the private schools as an alternative. :ph34r:

I appreciate this post from someone who has a good sense of what is going on. It does appear that the City is the one who has some schools out of control, not the County. There are some very good people who post on here from the city but there are some very good parents who are frustrated. It seems that when things don't work right, people just start changing it around whether its within the rules or not. It likely works for them. Its an interesting situation but seems out of control. they are used to it.

• 2 weeks later...