Father Ryan Invitational

ghouse

Think about that...if you don't win it all then you should just be miserable. I guess Cleveland High School should feel like last year was a complete loss. If Oregon or Auburn loses tonight, I guess there season was a disaster. Every school that did not win the high school state wrestling championship last year or is just in the hunt this year, but don't win, should feel like they kissed their sister? That's completely stupid!!! As I heard once at the Wrestling Hall of Fame banquet from the great Coach Jordan at Clarksville, wrestling is not about how high you go, but how far you have come. Some schools or wrestlers may not ever win it all due to a number of factors, but to say they have not been very successful is missing it badly.

I knew this would hurt your feelings or someone like you.

What I was commenting on is the mind set of "being in the conversation", which is what was said, not if the team had a good or great year for them. If being in the conversation is enough, then go kiss your sister and see how satisfied you are.

Or go and make the adjustments to get to the level of being more than in the conversation.

Cleveland has been to the mountain top, I have not seen somewhere on here where they want to be in the conversation, or cry about not being in the championship match with the eventual winner of the duals bracket. They seem to understand that it is a championship, not a placement tournament. The only one that matters there is the one left standing. Shake hands with the chanmps, acknowledge their efforts, and then go back prepare to get yours.

I like CB,,,,I just don't agree with that comment or mind set as a mantra for a runner up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this would hurt your feelings or someone like you.

What I was commenting on is the mind set of "being in the conversation", which is what was said, not if the team had a good or great year for them. If being in the conversation is enough, then go kiss your sister and see how satisfied you are.

Or go and make the adjustments to get to the level of being more than in the conversation.

Cleveland has been to the mountain top, I have not seen somewhere on here where they want to be in the conversation, or cry about not being in the championship match with the eventual winner of the duals bracket. They seem to understand that it is a championship, not a placement tournament. The only one that matters there is the one left standing. Shake hands with the chanmps, acknowledge their efforts, and then go back prepare to get yours.

I like CB,,,,I just don't agree with that comment or mind set as a mantra for a runner up.

When you lose 6 seniors to graduation and three are wrestling in the NCAA Div 1, sometimes being in the conversation is a great year. Again, your thinking is screwed up. Glad I am not in your program. You are either a Bradley Central fan or your team is a failure because they don't win it every year. Ultimately, its that kind of thinking that drives kids from the sport. Cleveland has had their "rebuilding" years as well, where being in the conversation would have been a step up. I guess the TSSAA should just quit giving medals to guys that placed and did not win it??? Or just one trophy at the duals?? No, they give two trophies to recognize the 2nd place teams achievement. They even have a third place match...those teams should just head on home? What a stupid point of view.....bottom line, you were taking a shot and can't back it up with anything intelligent. Maybe next time...

Edited by smwwrest

When you lose 6 seniors to graduation and three are wrestling in the NCAA Div 1, sometimes being in the conversation is a great year. Again, your thinking is screwed up. Glad I am not in your program. You are either a Bradley Central fan or your team is a failure because they don't win it every year. Ultimately, its that kind of thinking that drives kids from the sport. Cleveland has had their "rebuilding" years as well, where being in the conversation would have been a step up. I guess the TSSAA should just quit giving medals to guys that placed and did not win it??? Or just one trophy at the duals?? No, they give two trophies to recognize the 2nd place teams achievement. They even have a third place match...those teams should just head on home? What a stupid point of view.....bottom line, you were taking a shot and can't back it up with anything intelligent. Maybe next time...

no,,,there is no bottom line at all.

I gave an opinion and you do not like it. no problem.

It sounded to me like the comment was enough for that team. I disagree with that mindset. I only mentioned Cleveland since you brought them up. Otherwise I would not have, since that was not what we were talking about.

Sorry your feelings are hurt over this,,,,but at least you are in the conversation.

no,,,there is no bottom line at all.

I gave an opinion and you do not like it. no problem.

It sounded to me like the comment was enough for that team. I disagree with that mindset. I only mentioned Cleveland since you brought them up. Otherwise I would not have, since that was not what we were talking about.

Sorry your feelings are hurt over this,,,,but at least you are in the conversation.

No, feelings hurt here, but I definitely disagree with that mentality. As a coach, I have seen many a kid ruined by this way of thinking. Its the parent that makes his son throw away his Fargo medal away because its third place and not first place. Third at many team or individual tournaments may be a great accomplishment for some programs. Its saying that the Greenback Nation cannot be proud of their accomplishments, producing state individual champions, making the small school duals, placing 3rd at the duals, etc. because they did not win the duals? You may be sitting on the top of the world 100 percent of the time, but for those programs working to get to the top, they should be able to celebrate steps along the way.

No, feelings hurt here, but I definitely disagree with that mentality. As a coach, I have seen many a kid ruined by this way of thinking. Its the parent that makes his son throw away his Fargo medal away because its third place and not first place. Third at many team or individual tournaments may be a great accomplishment for some programs. Its saying that the Greenback Nation cannot be proud of their accomplishments, producing state individual champions, making the small school duals, placing 3rd at the duals, etc. because they did not win the duals? You may be sitting on the top of the world 100 percent of the time, but for those programs working to get to the top, they should be able to celebrate steps along the way.

YOu are misunderstanding me. I never said throw away a medal or not celebrate a season or the accomplishment of the season. I said that a mantra of "being in the conversation" was not a good mindset. period.

I doubt that many coaches go into the championship and say, come on guys, let us get second!....I bet they start the season and any tournament with the thoughts of winning. ONly one winner (as a team) and one per weight class. Celebrate those.

BTW, I never see the second place kid jumping up and down at the end of the match with elation of what just happened.

YOu are misunderstanding me. I never said throw away a medal or not celebrate a season or the accomplishment of the season. I said that a mantra of "being in the conversation" was not a good mindset. period.

I doubt that many coaches go into the championship and say, come on guys, let us get second!....I bet they start the season and any tournament with the thoughts of winning. ONly one winner (as a team) and one per weight class. Celebrate those.

BTW, I never see the second place kid jumping up and down at the end of the match with elation of what just happened.

"Being in the conversation" or "being in the hunt" may be a great year for a team or individual depending on the situation. I don't buy the mentality if you don't win it all, then its "like kissing your sister" which is what you said. The examples provided are in line with your statements. You were giving no credit to a team that might be over acheiving in a rebuilding year....they can't be satisfied with not winning it all or just being in the hunt. Any team that doesn't win it is disappointed, but it can still be a very successful season.

"Being in the conversation" or "being in the hunt" may be a great year for a team or individual depending on the situation. I don't buy the mentality if you don't win it all, then its "like kissing your sister" which is what you said. The examples provided are in line with your statements. You were giving no credit to a team that might be over acheiving in a rebuilding year....they can't be satisfied with not winning it all or just being in the hunt. Any team that doesn't win it is disappointed, but it can still be a very successful season.

sorry I can not explain it to a level that you get. I tried. I am unsuccessful, but I was in the hunt to make you understand. I feel good with my effort and I am glad that I have finished this conversation with something less than I wanted, but what the heck...I had no expectations of winning tonight anyway.

I am officially out of this one, this is the best I can do, (picture my white flag waving on a broken wooden stick).

Edited by texas23

sorry I can not explain it to a level that you get. I tried. I am unsuccessful, but I was in the hunt to make you understand. I feel good with my effort and I am glad that I have finished this conversation with something less than I wanted, but what the heck...I had no expectations of winning tonight anyway.

I officially out of this one, this is the best I can do, (picture my white flag waving on a broken wooden stick).

Lol..I guess that result is like "kissing your sister".