Clay Co. vs Jackson Co. Round 1

midtensportsfan

After Clays big win over RBS at home they travel to Gainesboro to take on Jackson County for what could be the first of many meetings this year. Clay County has the reigning District MVP in Trent Boles on their team and Jackson County has one best players in the state on their team in Jordan Godwin. The game is at JC so i gotta believe that gives JC an edge but Clay came in here and beat us last year so JC will need to be on its A game. If JC is hitting the outside shot then it will be a long night for Clay Co. because they can't guard Godwin one on one. They will have to try and zone him and collapse on him when he gets it. JC will have to shut down the outside shooters of Clay Co. otherwise it will be a long night for them. 2 years ago fans from Celina were throwing things at the players and coaches from JC after they lost the game so crowd control may be an issue again! If JC can win at home against Clay Co. and go into Pickett Co. on friday and win they should have a lock on the district for the regular season. Look for Drew McMillan to have a big night for JC. He is the x-factor because he's capable of putting 20-30 points up at any time and he always plays well against Clay. So i got JC winning 71-53 :rolleyes:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

little steep on the score jc is good but i dunno about 18 points and if clay plays like they can or how they played against rbs clay will win.clay has a chip on there shoulder after losing to a team there 30 points better than pickett county but this one in jc should be good.

Jackson County can score in bunches with their defensive intensity and the athletes they have. Their guards have been hot and cold shooting up till now so they need to heat up and when they do look out! JC needs to win this game at home if they hope to win the district this year and i look for them to hold serve on their home court. Clay has no inside game to speak of but they shoot the ball well and play hard so it will be a tough game. I still say JC wins by double digits.

How big is the kid from Jackson County?

6'3 but he's a tough matchup because he is so long and strong. He was the player of the year in football and 1st team all state in football so he is alot stronger than most kids his size. If you put a bigger guy on him he will just take them outside and knock down the 3 or blow by them. If you don't put a big guy on him he just posts them up and scores at will. No team has been able to guard him one on one but the ones that have been successful are the ones that have collapsed on him and made someone else beat them. Thats why JC needs the others to step up and score and if they are going to get to the state championship. McMillan can score 20 a night and usually does, JC just needs some of the younger guys to score a little more and they will be fine. JC will face 2 tough tests of that this week when we host arch rival Clay County then travel to Pickett County where you never get a call and believe me they will be hanging all over Godwin up there so the others will have to step up. We will know alot more about this team this time next week, whether they are going to be contenders or just pretenders....

6'3 but he's a tough matchup because he is so long and strong. He was the player of the year in football and 1st team all state in football so he is alot stronger than most kids his size. If you put a bigger guy on him he will just take them outside and knock down the 3 or blow by them. If you don't put a big guy on him he just posts them up and scores at will. No team has been able to guard him one on one but the ones that have been successful are the ones that have collapsed on him and made someone else beat them. Thats why JC needs the others to step up and score and if they are going to get to the state championship. McMillan can score 20 a night and usually does, JC just needs some of the younger guys to score a little more and they will be fine. JC will face 2 tough tests of that this week when we host arch rival Clay County then travel to Pickett County where you never get a call and believe me they will be hanging all over Godwin up there so the others will have to step up. We will know alot more about this team this time next week, whether they are going to be contenders or just pretenders....

So do most teams play zone then? It sounds like a team needs a strong athletic player to try to contain him. I'm interested to see how this one turns out after the way Clay put it to RBS. I saw Clay play CSAS earlier in a HoF game. I know both teams have improved. Who do you think makes it to the Sub state from up there MidTN?

Edited by THELEGEND

So do most teams play zone then? It sounds like a team needs a strong athletic player to try to contain him. I'm interested to see how this one turns out after the way Clay put it to RBS. I saw Clay play CSAS earlier in a HoF game. I know both teams have improved. Who do you think makes it to the Sub state from up there MidTN?

Class A teams try to zone him because most don't have anyone that can match up with him. Some AA teams try to match up with him others zone him and the AAA teams have tried to play him man with no success outside of Germantown where he fouled out early in clearly his worst game of the year. Clay is a good team and so is CSAS. I think Jackson County, Clay Co. and Friendship are the 3 top teams up here but Pickett Co is getting better and so are some of the other teams up here so come tournament time it will be a tough region to win but i see JC coming out top up here when its all said and done and i think they will have to beat Clay Co. Who is the other team down there besides CSAS that you see making the substate?

More than likely Temple or Grace Baptist will be making the trip to northern middle tn . . I see CSAS hosting their sub-state game but stranger things have happened. . As far as Clay and JC . . I think it will be well worth the price of admission and a bag of popcorn.

Temple is terrible. Probably Grace or Signal Mtn.

What a great game!! JC wins in overtime 72-67. One question .. where was Coach Godwin?? He wasn't on the bench tonight so just curious?? Give Clay some credit they played awesome but in the end JC found a way to win. Now on to Pickett Co. and if they win there then the district title is theirs! Godwin had atleast 30 points and should have had 40 McMillan had over 20 i know as i predicted!!! Boles was shut down the first half but had a good overtime hitting a 3 from halfcourt practically. I say these two teams will play atleast 2 maybe 3 more times this year. Great game to watch as a fan but you Clay Co. fans whine and cry so much its ridiculous! Can't believe the ref called a foul with 9 seconds to go it almost cost us the game on what should have been the winning layup! Oh well justice prevailed and the best team won in the end!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

Edited by midtensportsfan