What Do Your Coaches Do To Help Kids Play In College?

CatFever

What if a players has told the coaches that he wants to play at the next level and the coach agrees that he can play at the next level (any), the player then askes the coach if he can make a few calls to help him and the coach says "no"? Either the coach has lied to the kid or he's lazy. In this case, i'm going with lazy.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smyrna has a coach that does all of those things. Coach Childs will have 4 to 5 players sign D1/D1AA scholarships, and prob another 4 that will sign under D1AA. He cuts highlights, sends film, contacts college coaches, and follow up with them. i know this because he is responsible for getting my son a scholarship last year. High School Coaches do not get paid to do these things. Its just good to know that we have cretin coaches that go above and beyond their duties to truly help kids. Thank you coach Childs. and to coaches on other teams that really care about players future.

• 2 weeks later...

Smyrna has a coach that does all of those things. Coach Childs will have 4 to 5 players sign D1/D1AA scholarships, and prob another 4 that will sign under D1AA. He cuts highlights, sends film, contacts college coaches, and follow up with them. i know this because he is responsible for getting my son a scholarship last year. High School Coaches do not get paid to do these things. Its just good to know that we have cretin coaches that go above and beyond their duties to truly help kids. Thank you coach Childs. and to coaches on other teams that really care about players future.

This is a huge area for discussion.Things can start as early as 8th grade.A "few" parents have opted to hold their kids back in this grade ,as to allow them to play in HS as a older(hopefully better) player.Further decisions are sometimes made to relocate to a school that provides a Bigger stage to play on,( think Maryville/alcoa for starters).Coaching at these historically WINNING programs is also seen as an advantage in recruiting/of course the competition can be higher as well!NEXT big thing to optimize player stature is "OFFSEASON TRAININ and CONDITIONING" , The best places( D1 training/Johnny LOng's) can get pricey.But Ive seen great result with running bleachers/hills and cone drills...I also cant emphasize WEIGHT TRAINING enough !!! Done all year with great effort and enthusiasm is going to elevate the players game!It also shows a college coach just how serious of a player you are!! THIS drive and fire is as much of a gift as natural talent.But talent with drive can soar !!! Besides careacter/and grades/test scores, playing time and full on intensity during practice and games is needed/demanded. College Coaches are going to want to see what a player does when the play goes the "other way",Does he still go hard?Domiinating on the field will get your name out as much as anything. But in the end it's often up to the parents(the ones that are not delusional) to help their kid find the right school ! Remember , A college can't "sneak you into school" You have got to work hard in the classroom and get the act/sat scores<<< Start taking these tests as early and as often as possible!! remembering that these scores effect the amount of Scholarship money that can be made available!!! GOOD LUCK and work HARD !!!

What if a players has told the coaches that he wants to play at the next level and the coach agrees that he can play at the next level (any), the player then askes the coach if he can make a few calls to help him and the coach says "no"? Either the coach has lied to the kid or he's lazy. In this case, i'm going with lazy.

Unfortunately I have seen for myself a coach be detrimental to getting players signed at the next level.This was seen at our school some years ago,but he wasn't a liar or lazy, He was just plain vindictive and hateful.Letters sent to the school(in care of the coach) inquiring about prospective college players were thrown in the trash or just left in a stack.At least until some upperclassman found them in his office.Thankfully these type of coaches are few and far between.In any case The parents most take a proactive roll.Oh, and their are a few books avail on the subject

Edited by dvp4life

Nice answers.

How effective are players attending camps to get them noticed?

If the camp is free or for a nominal fee(say less than 50 bucks) then go ahead and give it a try.The player gets a nice workout,gets to hear coaching at the next level and gets to take home a nice t-shirt. Some of These high dollar camps and combines are a huge money maker for the folks putting them on.They are essentially a way for the assistant coaches to make some additional money.FOOTBALL UNIVERSITY IS 500 bucks for just a few days.If you have that kind of money to spend,send him to a training facility (D1 ect) for a few months,or buy him a gym membership or get him some professional nutritional advice/personal trainer . Just my 2 cents.

Edited by dvp4life

A question for these recruiting services. What education of the college recruiting process do you actually provide for these student-athletes and their families? Also, how do you decide which athlete you are going to spend more time with? At Collegiate Athlete Consultant we serve in the role of student-athlete academic advisor. We work hands on with athletes and their families through the entire recruiting process. We will NOT mass email coaches (that go directly to spam folders in most cases) or make the phone calls for you. We teach you and your family how to go about the process correctly so you win half the battle with these college coaches – that you are a responsible, passionate young student-athlete that will not be a risk to their program. On staff we have professionals that have M.Ed’s in Intercollegiate Athletic Administration as well as one professional that has a Ph.D. in Sports Leadership. All of our professionals on staff have played at the college and/or professional levels in a variety of sports.

Families do have the opportunity to research themselves but I understand if they do not know what exactly they need to do. For more information please visit http://www.CollegiateAthleteConsultant.com or call JJ directly at 713-742-3763, jj.wood@collegiateathleteconsultant.com

Unfortunately I have seen for myself a coach be detrimental to getting players signed at the next level.This was seen at our school some years ago,but he wasn't a liar or lazy, He was just plain vindictive and hateful.Letters sent to the school(in care of the coach) inquiring about prospective college players were thrown in the trash or just left in a stack.At least until some upperclassman found them in his office.Thankfully these type of coaches are few and far between.In any case The parents most take a proactive roll.Oh, and their are a few books avail on the subject

This is sad! Why would a coach want to keep his players from getting the letters? We have some parents that have told me that our coaches sometimes do not give letters to the players either. Not for sure why they would want to do this? What is up with this?

This is sad! Why would a coach want to keep his players from getting the letters? We have some parents that have told me that our coaches sometimes do not give letters to the players either. Not for sure why they would want to do this? What is up with this?

Some coaches think that the kids will get a BIG EGO if they get letters and it will "HURT THE TEAM". I personally think this is crap. Players are going to work even harder if they think the College Teams are looking at them. Top D1 players have letters running out of their mailboxes and they still play hard. Some ego is good. Football is an emotional game. If a player is out of line, run it out of them, but do not punish them for the hard work they have put in by holding back mail from schools that could be interested in them.

Cowbell, More Cowbell......

• 2 weeks later...

Some coaches think that the kids will get a BIG EGO if they get letters and it will "HURT THE TEAM". I personally think this is crap. Players are going to work even harder if they think the College Teams are looking at them. Top D1 players have letters running out of their mailboxes and they still play hard. Some ego is good. Football is an emotional game. If a player is out of line, run it out of them, but do not punish them for the hard work they have put in by holding back mail from schools that could be interested in them.

Cowbell, More Cowbell......

I agree this is crap. I have been talking to many kids from different schools and I am amazed at all the schools that are recruiting them or even some of them that signed. I watched some of these kids play and they are not that good. I watched some of them get destroyed by just plain hard working kids! What are coaches looking for these days??? I still do not understand why a head coach would not want his players to get letters and to be recruited. That makes NO sense.