MIDDLE SCHOOL SCHEDULING LIMITS

GOOB1970

For the last 3 years I've been told many different things from many different people regarding the seasonal and off-season limits/guidelines for middle school basketball teams. At my son's school 3 years ago the coach was able to post a win-loss record totaling about 25 games (including pre- and post-season). Now ever since then the new coach only schedules about 10 games, there is little or no pre-season scrimmaging, and the post season consists of county tournament play only. What are the rules??? I'm told by the current coach that they can't schedule any more due to TSSAA regulations which he says is their governing set of rules. Please help with clarification.

THANKS!!

For the last 3 years I've been told many different things from many different people regarding the seasonal and off-season limits/guidelines for middle school basketball teams. At my son's school 3 years ago the coach was able to post a win-loss record totaling about 25 games (including pre- and post-season). Now ever since then the new coach only schedules about 10 games, there is little or no pre-season scrimmaging, and the post season consists of county tournament play only. What are the rules??? I'm told by the current coach that they can't schedule any more due to TSSAA regulations which he says is their governing set of rules. Please help with clarification.

THANKS!!

http://tennessee.gov/education/schoolhealth/physed/physed_faqs.shtml

The Tennessee State Department of Education states the following:

The total basketball games allowed per team in a school which serves any combination of grades K through 8 shall not exceed 20 during a school year. Tournaments shall count as two games notwithstanding the number of games in which each team participates in a tournament. Practice can begin no earlier than four weeks prior to the first scheduled game and shall end after the last tournament or regular season game in which the team participates.

The TMSAA rules allow 18 games and a season ending tournament.

http://tssaa.org/Handbook/mcalendar.pdf

THANKS!!

Since both websites can be a bit confusing, I will try to give you what I understand about middle school rules and regulations pertaining to the amount of games that can be played.

First, your coach has been mis-informed.

If your school is a member of the TSSAA or TMSAA, middles schools are allowed to play 18 regular season games. They are also allowed to play in a post season tournament that counts as ONLY 2 games, whether they play 1 or 10. This is where people, especially administrators, unknowledgeable AD’s or coaches get confused because the website states you can only play 20 games. Example; if your school plays 18 regular season games and go deep into a post season tournament, playing 6 games to get to the championship that would entail your school playing 24 games. However, since post season tournaments only count as 2 games, the other games are a non-factor in total games played.

If your middle school plays in a county or district tournament then those games count as part of your regular season games. Once again, it ONLY counts as 2 games, whether you play 1 or 10. Example; if your county/district has 8 teams and you play each other twice, that is 14 regular season games, then your county/district tournament adds two more, (again whether its 1 or 10). So in total you have played 16 regular season games, which means you still have 2 more you can schedule to make 18.

If you are not a member of the TMSAA, you can play as many games as you want.

Administrators and county officials can also put/add in their own rules barring teams to play the maximum amount of games. Unfortunately that may be the case in your county or district. I know this is the case in Sumner County. It can also be a total mis-interpretation of the rules itself by administration. In most cases coaches know the rules better than the administration, however, this is not so in your case.

There could also be other reasons why your school is only playing 10 games. For instance, your coach/AD/administrators don’t want to put in the time or effort in to have an extended season, therefore, hindering player development and preparing players for the high school level. While unfortunate, it happens.

Developing a strong middle school program is essential in developing individual skill as well as developing

and maintaining a strong high school program. Usually the high school teams you see that are successful year in and year out have strong supportive middle school programs, coaches, and administrators.

Hope this helps.

Eda

If you are not a member of the TMSAA, you can play as many games as you want.

Any school covering grades K-8 may only play 20 games with tournaments counting as two games each according to the State Department of Education, even non-members of TMSAA. Now I know of several schools who play more than this, but to my knowledge it has never been enforced.

Any school covering grades K-8 may only play 20 games with tournaments counting as two games each according to the State Department of Education, even non-members of TMSAA. Now I know of several schools who play more than this, but to my knowledge it has never been enforced.

I made that comment with a hint of sarcasm. But you are correct, several school do play more than the allotted amount and no it is not enforced, especially if they are not sanctioned by the TMSAA.

But you have to admit 10 games per year is sad. Most Junior pro or YMCA leagues play more than that.