How good (or not) is Clarksville Academy?

silverdalefan

Clarksvill Academy is the best Single A team in the state, bottom line. If anybody beats them in post season it will be considered a true upset. That goes for middle, west and east TN. Anytime a Single A team has two, not one, legit D1 players it's going to be a tall order to knock them off. Not to mention these two D1 kids are both 6'5, skilled and can play above the rim. They can dominate the paint on the offensive end and DEFEND the paint o the defensive end and I would have to believe they will have a decisive rebounding advantage no matter who they may or may not play in post season. They can go inside out. So basically you better be a good shooting team that doesn't turn the ball over and you need to play almost flawless to have a chance to beat them and it would help to have the refs on your side too. The margin for error is rather slim, REMEMBER again this is Single A. Maybe two or three teams form the West that can give them a run if they could get one of the Smith kids in foul trouble, mainly Malocm because he dominates the paint in a way you just don't see in Single A. Martin can slash and knock down the three ball but Malcom is the one who impacts the game more, in my opinion. I have no idea what they're stats are but I know Malcom can kill it down low plus he can put the ball o the deck when he has to.

Anybody can be beat but to beat Clarsville Academy in Single A will be TOUGH. I look for them to win the State again. I'm not sure who they lost from last seasons team but I know they had some other good players on last years team.

Would love to see the matchup between Godwin from Jackson County and the Smith kids. Say what you want but this kid has dominated his competition. The only way teams have been able to stop him was to zone him and collapse. Gotta believe CA would think they could man up against them and that would make for an interesting game. LA put a 6'7 kid on him and they had to sit him on the bench because he couldn't guard him, put a 6'5 kid on him next and he couldn't guard him either so if the Smiths are that good then i hope they get matched up would be a good game to see.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Clarksville Academy is the favorite to win the State again but they have yet to be tested throughout the season and I think that just sets a high school team up for a major fall when you're that good and you have a weak schedule. Some of the teams that have a legit shot at beating them are Humbolt, CSAS, and Forrest.

I doubt I would put Forrest in that list... Not that they are not a good team, but they are in no way on the same level as Humboldt and CSAS...

1A Teams that have a decent chance of knocking off CA...

Humboldt

Perry Co.

Lake Co.

City University

CSAS

Middleton

Westwood

1A teams that I could see hanging around and beating CA

McEwen

Summertown

Hampton

White House Heritage

Forrest

I do not see CA getting knocked out before the state tournament... I think that CA might get upset if they draw for the tournmanet and have to play three tough games in a row...

I agree, Clarksville Academy is the favorite to win the State again but they have yet to be tested throughout the season and I think that just sets a high school team up for a major fall when you're that good and you have a weak schedule. Some of the teams that have a legit shot at beating them are Humbolt, CSAS, and Forrest.

Their schdedule this year is almost an exact replica of last year's...

I agree that they should have played a tougher non-district schedule, but that can be said for about every team in 1A except for a few west tenn teams...

As for Single A teams playing a tough schedule, Ii think Summertown has played one of the toughest--4 games against Top 5 teams in Double A (Spring Hill & Red Bank), two with LCHS, McGavock--all non district. They have been very close to winning most of these games when they played up in class, too. When the sectionals roll around, you will see the final 2 from 5A end up being McEwen and CA and from 6A most likely PCc and Summertown. Not saying one of the 6A teams wont win at CA but its not likely. That said, if they somehow get upset in the region finals by McEwen, anything can happen as Stown ad PC are very difficult places to play. Prior to the state tourney the only way they get knocked out of a return trip is if tey get upset in the region.

The district 10 tournament is at McEwen, but the region is at a district 9 site...

If they region was at McEwen or WHH I could see CA getting upset as they will have to beat them back to back with one of the games being on the opposing teams home court...

McEwen has a ligit chance of beating them in the district finals if they can get there, but then they would have to turn right around and beat them in the region, which is hightly unlikely...

I believe an uptempo, dribble drive, physical style team with some height will definetly give them some trouble... Unfortunately there are not many of those teams in 1A...

Also Dyer graduating is key as CA drops off as bad after their four as they do their first two in actual game performance...

Memphis Westwood may have the best shot to knock off Clarksville Academy, providing they both make it State.

Westwood has the size and guard play to maybe knock them off, other than them I'm not sure anybody else can match up. But, who knows? Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

Westwood is a Single A team that has played some good AA and AAA teams out of Memphis, including

All away

AAA Melrose lost by 19

AAA Germantown lost by 2

AA Kingsbury lost by 17

They also played Middle TN Teams (all away at the Overton Holiday Tournament)

AAA Ravenwood won by 6

AA Whites Creek won by 9

AAA Nashville Overton lost by 8

See where i'm coming from...Single A Westwood has a much easier time with AA and AAA teams out of Middle TN than the same class out of Memphis.

Westwood has a legit shot to win it all and in my mind would be considered the 2nd favorite to win it all, right behind Clarskville Academy....I do know Lake County, Humboldt and Middleton are all very good too...I just don't think they are as good as CA and Westwood....can't speak for Middle and East TN because I just don't know enough about the teams but I can't imagine they are any better than Westwood, Middleton, Humboldt and Lake County.

I think CA wins it all but if they don't I would not be shocked.

Edited by yankees8589

Memphis Westwood may have the best shot to knock off Clarksville Academy, providing they both make it State.

Westwood has the size and guard play to maybe knock them off, other than them I'm not sure anybody else can match up. But, who knows? Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

Westwood is a Single A team that has played some good AA and AAA teams out of Memphis, including

All away

AAA Melrose lost by 19

AAA Germantown lost by 2

AA Kingsbury lost by 17

They also played Middle TN Teams (all away at the Overton Holiday Tournament)

AAA Ravenwood won by 6

AA Whites Creek won by 9

AAA Nashville Overton lost by 8

See where i'm coming from...Single A Westwood has a much easier time with AA and AAA teams out of Middle TN than the same class out of Memphis.

Westwood has a legit shot to win it all and in my mind would be considered the 2nd favorite to win it all, right behind Clarskville Academy....I do know Lake County, Humboldt and Middleton are all very good too...I just don't think they are as good as CA and Westwood....can't speak for Middle and East TN because I just don't know enough about the teams but I can't imagine they are any better than Westwood, Middleton, Humboldt and Lake County.

I think CA wins it all but if they don't I would not be shocked.

I'll agree with that...

No doubt Clarksville Academy has the talent. But the way the refs call the inside play will decide how far they make it. In the 1st round of State Tournament last year Wayne County had both the Smith bros in foul trouble.

they managed to keep it close in the 1st half despite shooting horribly from outside. Wayne Co's Mr Football shot about 1-15 from 3 that game. If they had shot better they might have pulled an upset because the refs weren't letting them play down low.

I doubt I would put Forrest in that list... Not that they are not a good team, but they are in no way on the same level as Humboldt and CSAS...

1A Teams that have a decent chance of knocking off CA...

Humboldt

Perry Co.

Lake Co.

City University

CSAS

Middleton

Westwood

1A teams that I could see hanging around and beating CA

McEwen

Summertown

Hampton

White House Heritage

Forrest

I do not see CA getting knocked out before the state tournament... I think that CA might get upset if they draw for the tournmanet and have to play three tough games in a row...

Clarksville Academy beat Forrest last year by 5 on a neutral court. CA was down by 1 with 2 minutes to go. Basically the same players for both teams this year. Anything can happen come tournament time.

Clarksville Academy beat Forrest last year by 5 on a neutral court. CA was down by 1 with 2 minutes to go. Basically the same players for both teams this year. Anything can happen come tournament time.

If you think Forrest is a legit threat to knock of CA, Ii am proud for you. I don't think Forrest is even the best team out of their district--that might very well be Huntland. Tthat said, the Forrest/Huntland district has nothing on 12A.

This is about CA not 12A or Forrest, but since you started. Forrest may not be the best in 9A no one ever said so or has ever said anything to be exact about Forrest being better than anybody. 12A is not that great either who has anybody beat in that district that is so great. Heck Summertown is on the downward spiral and are easy to figure out. They don't feed the post, they drive, they drive, and they force up bad shots. I got to see them at Forrest and they wasn't exactly breath taking, athletic but not great. Forrest is short and fast but thats it not very good this year either but has done the job so far.

CA is the best team in the region and sub-state. They killed Lawrence Co. and Summertown was beat not once but TWICE by them. Yeah Summertown is so awesome. Can they make it to the sub-state ? Yes because of coaching and no.12. Will they who knows thats why you play the game? I hope Summertown does I think they are a quality program EVERY year but Vandychris is ignorant.