Refs at State

hrdcrwrestler

I can agree with that but you have to admit with 11 mats and 33 refs it is going to be a little watered down on the officals pool.

I agree with this post and I am going to add more to it. The state tournament is for the kids not the refs to showcase their talents. TSSAA needs to limit the number of Refs, that way maybe they can be more consistent. There were way to many refs at the tournament. They were walking around like it was there show, please let the kids show their talents it's not for the know it all refs.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this post and I am going to add more to it. The state tournament is for the kids not the refs to showcase their talents. TSSAA needs to limit the number of Refs, that way maybe they can be more consistent. There were way to many refs at the tournament. They were walking around like it was there show, please let the kids show their talents it's not for the know it all refs.

There were a lot of matches this weekend, if we lower the number of officials, they will be a whole lot less effecient because of their energey.

Opinions on this usually vary according to which side of the call you are on at that particular time. Locked hands. It's almost as if some of the assistant referees just want to "get in the game" when wrestling is on the mat. Watch their eyes. They lock on to the waist of the bottom wrestler and seem to almost tremble with anticipation of getting to make the call. Anything, a milli-second finger brush, an eye-blink finger overlap in a scramble is called with the enthusiasm of someone just wanting to "get in the game" and make a call. It's one that they can make without being asked by the head ref. Before you attack, and preach on about the purity of the sport and following rules, that is not what we're talking about here. If a wrestler touches his hands and receives any benefit whatsoever, hit him! We're talking about an accidental hand brush in a full scramble where no advantage is gained. It literally happens in the blink of an eye, and should not cost a kid a match or State place. I liken it to the a referee who is so concerned with calling the "higher profile" no-control pin that he fails to look at the defensive wrestlers back and the fact that he's giving up back points, and misses the count. It's just a little too much enthusiasm to "get in the game" and make the big call.

Opinions on this usually vary according to which side of the call you are on at that particular time. Locked hands. It's almost as if some of the assistant referees just want to "get in the game" when wrestling is on the mat. Watch their eyes. They lock on to the waist of the bottom wrestler and seem to almost tremble with anticipation of getting to make the call. Anything, a milli-second finger brush, an eye-blink finger overlap in a scramble is called with the enthusiasm of someone just wanting to "get in the game" and make a call. It's one that they can make without being asked by the head ref. Before you attack, and preach on about the purity of the sport and following rules, that is not what we're talking about here. If a wrestler touches his hands and receives any benefit whatsoever, hit him! We're talking about an accidental hand brush in a full scramble where no advantage is gained. It literally happens in the blink of an eye, and should not cost a kid a match or State place. :thumb:I liken it to the a referee who is so concerned with calling the "higher profile" no-control pin that he fails to look at the defensive wrestlers back and the fact that he's giving up back points, and misses the count. It's just a little too much enthusiasm to "get in the game" and make the big call. :thumb: