9AAA District Final...wow

yort45

The horn doesnt even matter to me, I was at the game and the call was so bad that I actually saw the clock on zero then looked back and saw the shot.

Well the horn would matter to officials, as it is tough to expect them to glance back and forth from the game to the clock (which is quite high in that gym). That happens and you open up the risk of a foul on the final shot, and the ref missing it... because he was looking at the clock.

Never said it wasn't a bad call. In fact, I've even said it was. I just don't think it's as simple as everybody is making it out to be.

Well the horn would matter to officials, as it is tough to expect them to glance back and forth from the game to the clock (which is quite high in that gym). That happens and you open up the risk of a foul on the final shot, and the ref missing it... because he was looking at the clock.

Never said it wasn't a bad call. In fact, I've even said it was. I just don't think it's as simple as everybody is making it out to be.

You do realize there are three officials, it only takes one referee to watch the shot for a foul or travel or any other call. (By the way a travel would not have been the right call there even if he did walk a little) Anybody who knows basketball will agree that that the game clock determines the end of the game not the buzzer. In that situation with not much time and the gym being loud at least one referee has to have an eye on the clock.

I made those arguments only to express to you that the buzzer is not what is important. Where you’re really wrong is your quote "If the horn did sound at the proper time, then the shot is definitely off in time. (But again, I'm not sure that happened)" I am assuming your basing that off of the YouTube cell phone video which was taken in the middle of a loud Gallatin student section. I have watched the game film (recorded by an actual video camera set up on the second section away from most noise) and on that video there is no doubt the buzzer goes off before the shot. Pretty simple to me.

You do realize there are three officials, it only takes one referee to watch the shot for a foul or travel or any other call. (By the way a travel would not have been the right call there even if he did walk a little) Anybody who knows basketball will agree that that the game clock determines the end of the game not the buzzer. In that situation with not much time and the gym being loud at least one referee has to have an eye on the clock.

I made those arguments only to express to you that the buzzer is not what is important. Where you’re really wrong is your quote "If the horn did sound at the proper time, then the shot is definitely off in time. (But again, I'm not sure that happened)" I am assuming your basing that off of the YouTube cell phone video which was taken in the middle of a loud Gallatin student section. I have watched the game film (recorded by an actual video camera set up on the second section away from most noise) and on that video there is no doubt the buzzer goes off before the shot. Pretty simple to me.

I, too, have seen the actual game film. And what you are saying is the buzzer went off before the shot, and you heard it. THEREFORE, it sounds to me like you're saying the officials should have HEARD the buzzer go off. I know basketball, and in high school basketball, the buzzer is much more important than in college and beyond. We don't have the red light or video replay. Also, I'm fairly certain all the things you seem to think I overlooked, I mentioned in previous posts, such as one of the officials having an eye on the clock. My point has never been that the call was right or that the referees handled it correctly. My point has been that this is not as simple as everybody says it is.

I, too, have seen the actual game film. And what you are saying is the buzzer went off before the shot, and you heard it. THEREFORE, it sounds to me like you're saying the officials should have HEARD the buzzer go off. I know basketball, and in high school basketball, the buzzer is much more important than in college and beyond. We don't have the red light or video replay. Also, I'm fairly certain all the things you seem to think I overlooked, I mentioned in previous posts, such as one of the officials having an eye on the clock. My point has never been that the call was right or that the referees handled it correctly. My point has been that this is not as simple as everybody says it is.

And my point is that it is as simple as everyone says it is. The clock was on zero and the buzzer sounded well before the shot was off. The officials blew the call and took the district championship away from Wilson central plain and simple.

And my point is that it is as simple as everyone says it is. The clock was on zero and the buzzer sounded well before the shot was off. The officials blew the call and took the district championship away from Wilson central plain and simple.

Here is where you're wrong. You have to have hold of something for it to be taken away from you. Wilson Central was TIED with Gallatin and would have gone to a 3rd OT. You can't predict who wins or loses if the game does not continue. DUH

I agree with 9 hole. The district championship was not taken away. Game was tied at that point. They only missed out on the opportunity to go another overtime. Of course, after tonight, Gallatin is probably wishing they had Northeast instead, as they lost to Dickson Co. tonight.

I agree with 9 hole. The district championship was not taken away. Game was tied at that point. They only missed out on the opportunity to go another overtime. Of course, after tonight, Gallatin is probably wishing they had Northeast instead, as they lost to Dickson Co. tonight.

You two just took what I said the wrong way and I can see why you did but it can be taken two ways. What I meant by getting it taken away was the officials took the opportunity away, I knew the game would have gone into a third overtime and I was not predicting the outcome. Honest mistake.

By the way if one of you two would do me a favor it would be greatly appreciated, could you thank the Gallatin police officer for his overreaction after the game. If he had not put one of our best players in handcuffs there is no way he would have been suspended. Thanks

You two just took what I said the wrong way and I can see why you did but it can be taken two ways. What I meant by getting it taken away was the officials took the opportunity away, I knew the game would have gone into a third overtime and I was not predicting the outcome. Honest mistake.

By the way if one of you two would do me a favor it would be greatly appreciated, could you thank the Gallatin police officer for his overreaction after the game. If he had not put one of our best players in handcuffs there is no way he would have been suspended. Thanks

First, there are many opportunities during the game where the game could have been won, not just the final shot. The officials did not take the game or opportunity away. They did make bad calls, good calls and no calls throughout. Bottom line Gallatin 79 WC 76 2OT.

Secondly, there are security cameras in the gym as well as the hallway and was reviewed by TSSAA. He would have been suspended regardless of the handcuffs. The officer did his job. The young man followed the officials as they headed toward their locker room (his locker room was on the other side of the court), they entered their locker room, shut the door, the young man turned around and punched an exit sign damaging school property. The officer witnessed, indentified himself and the young man verbally and physically resisted. The officer then cuffed him. There were an handful of WC fans and players just as erratic with vulger language but did not damage property. Officers spoke to GHS administration and allowed him to leave. If school were in session and at any school, a person would have left in cuffs.

Both administrations and 7 officers were present. How much security should a basketball game need? They did a great job under these circumstances. As adults, we are accountable. The coaches are accountable for the players. Gather your team and shake hands.

Final bottom line:

Both teams work hard and that is evident by the quality head coaches. Both teams lost yesterday and seasons are complete. A new day begins and preparation for a new season starts. Good luck to all.

First, there are many opportunities during the game where the game could have been won, not just the final shot. The officials did not take the game or opportunity away. They did make bad calls, good calls and no calls throughout. Bottom line Gallatin 79 WC 76 2OT.

Secondly, there are security cameras in the gym as well as the hallway and was reviewed by TSSAA. He would have been suspended regardless of the handcuffs. The officer did his job. The young man followed the officials as they headed toward their locker room (his locker room was on the other side of the court), they entered their locker room, shut the door, the young man turned around and punched an exit sign damaging school property. The officer witnessed, indentified himself and the young man verbally and physically resisted. The officer then cuffed him. There were an handful of WC fans and players just as erratic with vulger language but did not damage property. Officers spoke to GHS administration and allowed him to leave. If school were in session and at any school, a person would have left in cuffs.

Both administrations and 7 officers were present. How much security should a basketball game need? They did a great job under these circumstances. As adults, we are accountable. The coaches are accountable for the players. Gather your team and shake hands.

Final bottom line:

Both teams work hard and that is evident by the quality head coaches. Both teams lost yesterday and seasons are complete. A new day begins and preparation for a new season starts. Good luck to all.

Just to clear up any confusion on whether the buzzer or the clock is more important at the end of the game:

NFHS Case Book Situation 5.6

A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1...When the foul occurs, the clock is stopped with 00:00 showing, but no end-of-period signal(horn or light) has indicated. Ruling: A1 will attempt the free throws with the lane spaces occupied as required. The fourth period time has not expired until the period-ending signal.