Cannon Co vs Elizabethton

HSespn

I wouldn't call Cannon Co's victory over McMinn Central in November a fluke at all. Bottom line is that Cannon Co. outplayed (and probably outcoached) McMinn Central in that game. No excuses, Cannon Co. got it done that game.

Been to the 'boro a few times myself, and love the atmosphere of state tournament play. Since you live so close, maybe you'd like to invite people over to your house to eat? :hungry:

My wife would kill me or worse if I told her she had to cook!

My wife would kill me or worse if I told her she had to cook!

No problem......you can just treat us at one of those fine restaurants you recommended. If Cannon Co. happens to be playing when we're hungry, just give us your credit card, and we'll bring it back after we eat. :thumb:

Tidbits: I played against Don Dodgen Sr. in grammar school and high school. Also - Don Jr's Mother is a native McMinn Countian.

Thanks for the list of the boro's finest. I have never been known to let a great place to eat go un-visited. I don't think the Lady Cyclones will need it however they are on a mission. They left three years ago, after the Westwood defeat, with a bad taste in theri mouths. They have been on that mission for two years. The match up with Cannon Co. appears to be like a reflection. Strong defense, great 3-pt shooters and determination. You always look for common opponents and there are none the only thing in common is Betsy played CPA in the Riverdale scrimmage and won 44-26 and Cannon Co. played CPA a week later and lost 44-46 ( regular season vs scrimmage?). Coacht rankings would indicate they have played about the same difficulty of schedule. The only thing I have found is record vs 20 game winners. Cannon Co. has played 14 teams with 20 wins and have won 7 and lost 7. Elizabethton has played 13 and have won them all. This should we a great game. I look forward to being in the boro long enough to sample some great food. :thumb:

Thanks for the list of the boro's finest. I have never been known to let a great place to eat go un-visited. I don't think the Lady Cyclones will need it however they are on a mission. They left three years ago, after the Westwood defeat, with a bad taste in theri mouths. They have been on that mission for two years. The match up with Cannon Co. appears to be like a reflection. Strong defense, great 3-pt shooters and determination. You always look for common opponents and there are none the only thing in common is Betsy played CPA in the Riverdale scrimmage and won 44-26 and Cannon Co. played CPA a week later and lost 44-46 ( regular season vs scrimmage?). Coacht rankings would indicate they have played about the same difficulty of schedule. The only thing I have found is record vs 20 game winners. Cannon Co. has played 14 teams with 20 wins and have won 7 and lost 7. Elizabethton has played 13 and have won them all. This should we a great game. I look forward to being in the boro long enough to sample some great food. :thumb:

The CPA game was one of those Hall of Fame games that the TSSAA originally said you didn't have to count in your record, then changed their minds later and said yes, you do. It was the first of 2 games that Cannon played on the same day and Cannon lost on a last second shot. According to CoachT's Strength-Plus-Success rating scale CPA is #7 so if Betsy put a beat down on them that's pretty good.

Keep in mind that Cannon's squad did not reach full strength until last month and of course not all 20 game winners are created equal. Cannon is returning most of their starters from last year who have also been on a mission since losing to McMinn Central by 8 in the sectional/substate last year. Although it's been awhile since Cannon has been to the state tourney the school has a fair amount of tradition when it comes to girls basketball. This will be the school's 10th appearance at the state tourney and they have a gold and 3 silver balls in their trophy case. It should be a good matchup.

Edited by woodvegas

Let me add a couple more things to my previous comments...

It was at the beginning of the season and may have been a fluke but I guess it should be noted that Cannon did defeat McMinn Central giving them their only loss of the season.

Also, Cannon will have more of a homecourt advantage since we live only 20 minutes away from the 'Boro and many of us work there and go there for entertainment, eating out, etc. We won't have the distraction of staying in a hotel.

If you're not familiar with the 'Boro here are a few of my recommendations:

Best hotel:

Embassy Suites (next to The Avenue) http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/MBTESES-Embassy-Suites-Murfreesboro-Hotel-Conference-Center-Tennessee/index.do

Places to kill time:

The Avenue Shopping Complex http://murfreesboro.shoptheavenue.com/

Stones River Mall http://www.stonesrivermall.com/

Carmike Movie Theater http://www.carmike.com/showtimes.aspx?fct=5&tid=50

Best Breakfast=Cracker Barrel (there's 2), IHOP (next to Stones River Mall), Mimi's Cafe (at The Avenue)

Best Burgers=Five Guys and Red Robin

Steak=Longhorn's, Chophouse

Fish=The Bonefish Grill

Italian=Romano's Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Carrabas

Pizza=Old Chicago

Tex-Mex=Chuys, Chili's

Chinese=Pei Wei

Barbecue=Jim and Nick's

Soul Food=Kleer-Vu, Jeff's Family Restaurant

Best Dinner (just my opinion)=Five Senses

Most Fun/Sport's Bar=Toot's

Something for everyone=Demos' (fast and reasonably priced), Logan's Roadhouse, Outback Steakhouse, Puelo's

Restaurants close to MTSU=Mellow Mushroom (pizza), Slick Pig Barbeque, Applebee's, Limestone Mexican Grill

Demo's # 1

No win-lose prediction from me on this one. All the remaining teams are obviously good and deserve respect for making it this far. The only statement I'll make regarding the game is that Elizabethton will show up and play hard from start to finish. If they are good enough to win, they will. If not, they won't. Go Lady Cyclones!

BTW, I agree with a previous poster that Demo's is #1. Variety, quality and quantity can't be beat - especially for the price...