Some not happy about letting schools out for the state tournament

swanson71

So you think it's ok for a 6 year old girl to stay home by herself?

Again, I'm very happy and proud that my daughter's school made it possible for students and teachers in the high school to attend the games. The athletes, band members, chess club and the quiz bowl team all deserve their peer's support. BUT if I were a single parent with a 6 year old and no one to leave her with, my only option might be to miss work and therefore lose much needed income. The students and the teachers aren't the only ones affected here.

Why would it be wrong for someone to comlpain about that?

Where in my post did I say that? You are complaining about school being closed, but what about the snow days and holidays where school is cancelled and work is not? There is always day cares, babysitters, or even family members that are within a phone call. Also how was the child taken care of before he/she started school. Granted it's tough but the girls and boys playing deserve all the support because there is a lot of hard work that goes into all of this, but like I said if you're going to support 1 then all should recieve the same support.

Where in my post did I say that? You are complaining about school being closed, but what about the snow days and holidays where school is cancelled and work is not? There is always day cares, babysitters, or even family members that are within a phone call. Also how was the child taken care of before he/she started school. Granted it's tough but the girls and boys playing deserve all the support because there is a lot of hard work that goes into all of this, but like I said if you're going to support 1 then all should recieve the same support.

Again, I'm not complaining about anything. I was happy our school closed and all students who wanted to go support the team could if they chose to. I was just trying to make the point that just because someone complained about closing an elementary school for a high school sporting event might have a legitimate complaint and might not be a nut or a whiner.

Bottom line - I don't have a dog in this hunt so I'll just stay on the porch for the rest of this one! :popcorneater:

http://www.wsmv.com/news/27224320/detail.html

This guy was way off and since he doesn't care about the tournament then he would of course feel this way, but this is an achievment that rarely comes to a county as a whole and girls from both teams and all teams that do make it to the tournament deserve all the support they can get. Everyone works real hard to get to the state tournament and that should be recogized by the community and school that has the priviledge to send their respective high school basketball team to the state tournament.

Sounds like someone with a rift with a coach or administrator. Most likely someone that was unable to make a sports team while in high school. Support the student/athletes. These opportunities don't come around often....enjoy them while you can!!!

• 4 weeks later...

As a teacher and girls basketball coach I understand both sides here. Taking ONE day out of school to support your fellow classmates is important, IF you can afford it. As a parent, working an hourly job and trying to provide for a family can be frustrating when it is disrupted by school being shut down across a system for a bball game. A 6 year old needs picked up from kindergarten by someone. Frustrating.

As a teacher, we have 180 school days a year to teach young people what they are to know; directed by state standards. How many of those days are disrupted by fire/tornado drills, snow days, assemblies, pep rallies, special class meetings, magazine sales/payoff days, and other interruptions? A basketball game at the first round level is NOT an excuse; although it is nice to sleep in!

As a teacher and girls basketball coach I understand both sides here. Taking ONE day out of school to support your fellow classmates is important, IF you can afford it. As a parent, working an hourly job and trying to provide for a family can be frustrating when it is disrupted by school being shut down across a system for a bball game. A 6 year old needs picked up from kindergarten by someone. Frustrating.

As a teacher, we have 180 school days a year to teach young people what they are to know; directed by state standards. How many of those days are disrupted by fire/tornado drills, snow days, assemblies, pep rallies, special class meetings, magazine sales/payoff days, and other interruptions? A basketball game at the first round level is NOT an excuse; although it is nice to sleep in!

I dissagree here because there is some teams who go years with out making it to the state tournament, and for RBS they were one and done. RBS has made it to the state tournament 3 times in close to 50 years, so when it comes around it's good to support the athletes no matter if it's the first round or the championship. If it was his or her child playing and the school closed then he or she would be all for it, but since it doesn't really concern them they have a proble with it. I believe every player has worked hard to get there, and noone should ever complain when they are being supported. Like I said if it was thier child they would be all for and supporting letting school out for something their child was involved in like that.

• Upvote 1