Officiating

yankees8589

Im not one to complain about the refs but they were bad....i feel that the refs had an impact on the Howard Liberty game as well...many times I saw liberty players holding and hooking howard ...saw the ball go off liberty many times but they were given the ball...watched the refs allow liberty to ride howard players all the way down the court...saw liberty guard get fouls when no one touched him and I watched barry griffen get called for 3 straight touch fouls and the last one he wasnt even the one who fouled the guy...liberty guard was a beast but griffen was also in the post as soon as he fould out i saw liberty bench jump up as happy as they could be..not trying to take anything away from liberty that Guard they had is a true baller..However if Howard made freethrows and cut back on some turnovers those bad calls wouldnt have mattered...yes it was bad officiating...and i didnt even watch the east lit and liberty game because after seeing them play bolivar i was like whoever wins this next game is gonna blow east lit out...I was shocked to see that liberty didnt win this game by halftime...another thing that should be addressed is that blind draw...with liberty being #1 all year there is no way they should have had to play in that bracket...the bolivar bracket wasnt as strong

I couldn't agree with you more Yankees.... I was at the championship game paid 48 dollars to see a boring and the worse refs i seen all year. I'm glad Liberty won but i would liked to seen championship game instead of a fat ref and skinhead ref make a fool out of themselves. I thought the black ref was the best on that crew but it wouldn't took much to look good with them two bozos...

Good points...I personally enjoyed watching the young/tall Ref during the Single A game make delayed calls...Speaking of the Liberty/Howard game K Anthony was shafted on a few. His last two fouls came from left field. With that being said my hat goes off to those who do call games...

The main thing I noticed, especially after going back and watching the replay, was the charging calls. Somethng has to be done about the charging calls. Time and again, players are falling before contact, and at the last second sliding over in front of the driver is out of hand. Protection needs to be for the offense. Defensive techniques (hand checking, holding, bumping) has nearly ruined the game. Give the advantage back to the offense. People like to see points on the board not a hockey match.

The main thing I noticed, especially after going back and watching the replay, was the charging calls. Somethng has to be done about the charging calls. Time and again, players are falling before contact, and at the last second sliding over in front of the driver is out of hand. Protection needs to be for the offense. Defensive techniques (hand checking, holding, bumping) has nearly ruined the game. Give the advantage back to the offense. People like to see points on the board not a hockey match.

The "Charge" calls this week reminded me of games at a summer camp where guys get rewarded for trying to make any hustle play. Most any drive to the basket resulting in the defensive player going to the ground was called a charge. On one play the Perry County player jump stopped 3 feet from the Middleton defender, who flopped anyway with clean air between them. At least he didn't get the call that time, but by strict interpretation it should have been a technical foul.

Statistically that call should be close to 50/50. I bet overall this week it was closer to 75-25. Keep it up and sooner or later someone will get undercut and hurt pretty bad.

Where I come from if you set up to take that many charges you would never walk out of the gym without being on the way to the hospital. We had a guy take three in the first quarter a while back and by half time his nose had made contact with a knee while he set up in the lane in front of a high flying "charging" opponent. He got the call alright but he didn't play anymore in that game. We have a way of making you think twice before putting yourself in harm's way that many times. Just not a good idea.

Where I come from it only takes one time of putting a player on his head, then he will do the right thing and pull up for a jumper, if HE can get up! A player should be rewarded for playing FUNDAMENTAL defense, its rules and if you dont want to watch it then dont! Calls shouldnt be based on what scores the most points.

Where I come from it only takes one time of putting a player on his head, then he will do the right thing and pull up for a jumper, if HE can get up! A player should be rewarded for playing FUNDAMENTAL defense, its rules and if you dont want to watch it then dont! Calls shouldnt be based on what scores the most points.

Yep! Its part of the game....its defense...plain and simple

A charge is when the player has both feet planted and has stopped his momentum, or if the the player lowers his shoulder, or extends his arm in a shove. This was not the case in the tourney. The charge calls that were made were not consistent with the rules. It seemed that it was almost an emotional call by the refs. Take Anthony's charge that he got in the finals. (I'm a bolivar fan defending Liberty...) Anthony pulled up for a jumpshot. The east lit kid rose up and went into Anthony. Anthony gets the charge. Then there was the charge that Anthony shoved the kid. Legit call. There were too many calls this past weekend that weren't rewarding "Fundamental Basketball".and if a kid can get a lay-up by going in the air rather than pulling up for a jumpshot, then that's what i would tell my kid to do.

Didn't see the boys' state championships this year for the first time in a long time. However, I'm not surprised at the number of apparent offensive foul calls. It's been that way for at least the past 5 years. I appears to be a point of emphasis for the TSSAA during the championships. I have no issue with calling offensive fouls when commited, but too often these fouls are called when a "no call" or defensive foul is in order. I agree statistically the block/charge should be about 50/50 and typically it appears to be that way throughout the regular season, but the numbers seem to favor the charge in M'boro. I haven't found a good explanation for this yet...