Officiating

yankees8589

The solution is really quite simple........don't foul!

Agreed!

Alot like the discussion of the foul that sent Pitt home from the NCAA Tournament.

Some think its unreal that the foul was called on a full-court sling shot.....but what is "unreal" is that Pitt fouled!

If you don't want charged with a "player-control" foul, don't leave ur feet (and moving forward while shooting or passing ) with a defender infront of you and don't hit the lane like a runaway locomotive!

Now for the other side....I HATE to see flopping! Its a fine line between acting and drawing, what is, an offensive foul

Edited by uknoit2

Where I come from if you set up to take that many charges you would never walk out of the gym without being on the way to the hospital. We had a guy take three in the first quarter a while back and by half time his nose had made contact with a knee while he set up in the lane in front of a high flying "charging" opponent. He got the call alright but he didn't play anymore in that game. We have a way of making you think twice before putting yourself in harm's way that many times. Just not a good idea.

guess they dont raise us so delicate up here :flower:

guess they dont raise us so delicate up here :flower:

It does not matter how or where you where you were raised. Mark my word, if you tried to take nine charges in one game you would pay a heavy price. Not saying it's right, just saying that that is the way we were taught. The coaches always say to give up your body and that is exactly what you would be doing so go ahead and take the charge. I took charges also but as it was stressed in an earlier post there are legitimate charges and then there is the "flop" or the "lean".

That is the point here. I am all for good defense but your comment of taking nine in one game. As Dirty Harry said, "Go ahead, make my day" !!!!!!!!!!

A charge is when the player has both feet planted and has stopped his momentum, or if the the player lowers his shoulder, or extends his arm in a shove. This was not the case in the tourney. The charge calls that were made were not consistent with the rules. It seemed that it was almost an emotional call by the refs. Take Anthony's charge that he got in the finals. (I'm a bolivar fan defending Liberty...) Anthony pulled up for a jumpshot. The east lit kid rose up and went into Anthony. Anthony gets the charge. Then there was the charge that Anthony shoved the kid. Legit call. There were too many calls this past weekend that weren't rewarding "Fundamental Basketball".and if a kid can get a lay-up by going in the air rather than pulling up for a jumpshot, then that's what i would tell my kid to do.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Please read a rule book and then copy and paste here when you find this statement. Thanks.

It does not matter how or where you where you were raised. Mark my word, if you tried to take nine charges in one game you would pay a heavy price. Not saying it's right, just saying that that is the way we were taught. The coaches always say to give up your body and that is exactly what you would be doing so go ahead and take the charge. I took charges also but as it was stressed in an earlier post there are legitimate charges and then there is the "flop" or the "lean".

That is the point here. I am all for good defense but your comment of taking nine in one game. As Dirty Harry said, "Go ahead, make my day" !!!!!!!!!!

if i had another year of eligibilty i would. never said all 9 of em were legit, i very rarely took the full force of a charge in high school i was just good at knowing when to give and start falling and how to sell it, but if i can take a charge on demonte simpson(now FAU) and 1 against Isiah Brown (ETSU) in a summer game im not worried about anyone you all would have.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Please read a rule book and then copy and paste here when you find this statement. Thanks.

Section II--By Dribbler

a. A dribbler shall not (1) charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position, or (2) attempt to dribble between two opponents, or (3) attempt to dribble between an opponent and a boundary, where sufficient space is not avail-able for illegal contact to be avoided.

b. If a defender is able to establish a legal position in the straight line path of the dribbler, the dribbler must avoid contact by changing direction or ending his dribble.

c. The dribbler must be in control of his body at all times. If illegal contact occurs, the responsibility is on the dribbler.

PENALTY: The offender is assessed an offensive foul. There is no team foul. The ball is awarded to the offended team on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.

EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section I--a.

d. If a dribbler has sufficient space to have his head and shoulders in advance of his defender, the responsibility for illegal contact is on the defender.

e. If a dribbler has established a straight line path, a defender may not crowd him out of that path.

PENALTY: The defender shall be assessed a personal foul and a team foul. If the penalty is not in effect, the offended team is awarded the ball on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended. If the penalty is in effect, one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt is awarded.

if i had another year of eligibilty i would. never said all 9 of em were legit, i very rarely took the full force of a charge in high school i was just good at knowing when to give and start falling and how to sell it, but if i can take a charge on demonte simpson(now FAU) and 1 against Isiah Brown (ETSU) in a summer game im not worried about anyone you all would have.

Wow! It has come down to name droppeing. I won't embarass you with the names of the major D1 talent that we faced, much less the future NBA players. Let's just say that in the bigger cities we have extremely fast competition EVERY NIGHT. If you were taking nine charges your team mates were getting left behind and you were slow enough to be at the back trying to help them out.