Bearden Tournament

BarcaFan

Although the weather was cold and dry, the action on the field was hot and wet. Sloppy conditions made for some interesting soccer. The first game with Oak Ridge and Gallatin showed trouble with the field as most of the small ball movement thru the middle part of the field was stopped more by puddles than defensive pressure. Passes were hard to connect and possession seemed more dangerous than just putting it in the other teams attacking third. Credit to both teams for trying to play small. I missed the first goal, but Oak Ridge scored off a nice cross and a pretty thru ball to go up 3-0. Gallatin showed a little more pressure towards the end of the game.

The second game was fun to watch. Although small in size, CAK showed up big against Hendersonville. Hendersonville had the upper hand for most of the game, but gave up two goals on pretty free kicks at the end. The game finished 3-2 in favor of Hendersonville. I do not know how they normally play, but it was obvious that Hendersonville was putting the ball up top a lot. They didn't play around with it in the middle and were constantly attacking the goal. CAK tried to move the ball around a little more, but could not threaten the goal nearly as much. It really was a David and Goliath picture. Some of the boys from CAK were lucky to reach the elbows of the Hendersonville players. Both teams have talent, but size and speed were a factor. Hendersonville's two players up top were fun to watch and they have a strong back line. The two free kicks were gorgeous for CAK, but the third goal for Hendersonville was spectacular. A long cross just over the midfield stripe, finished with a nice header. The big guy up top for Hendersonville will have some goals this year.

• Upvote 1

Although the weather was cold and dry, the action on the field was hot and wet. Sloppy conditions made for some interesting soccer. The first game with Oak Ridge and Gallatin showed trouble with the field as most of the small ball movement thru the middle part of the field was stopped more by puddles than defensive pressure. Passes were hard to connect and possession seemed more dangerous than just putting it in the other teams attacking third. Credit to both teams for trying to play small. I missed the first goal, but Oak Ridge scored off a nice cross and a pretty thru ball to go up 3-0. Gallatin showed a little more pressure towards the end of the game.

The second game was fun to watch. Although small in size, CAK showed up big against Hendersonville. Hendersonville had the upper hand for most of the game, but gave up two goals on pretty free kicks at the end. The game finished 3-2 in favor of Hendersonville. I do not know how they normally play, but it was obvious that Hendersonville was putting the ball up top a lot. They didn't play around with it in the middle and were constantly attacking the goal. CAK tried to move the ball around a little more, but could not threaten the goal nearly as much. It really was a David and Goliath picture. Some of the boys from CAK were lucky to reach the elbows of the Hendersonville players. Both teams have talent, but size and speed were a factor. Hendersonville's two players up top were fun to watch and they have a strong back line. The two free kicks were gorgeous for CAK, but the third goal for Hendersonville was spectacular. A long cross just over the midfield stripe, finished with a nice header. The big guy up top for Hendersonville will have some goals this year.

It wouldn't be the Bearden Tournament if there was no rain or sloppy field conditions. The soccer gods must feel the need for making it feel like England for this tournament every year.

• Upvote 1

Hendersonville has a nice draw--CAK, Oak Ridge, Catholic. Would have been interesting to see them matched up with Bearden, Farragut and Maryville.

Yes they do. I have some friends who play for them. That would be a show down to watch them in that group.. I live In sumner county where h ville is. We actually play there jv next wednesday

Well said. I watched both games as well, and you saw it about the same as I did.

Hendersonville is HUGE. Some of their "boys" look older than some college players I know. Both free kicks by CAK were quite nice.

Meteorologists should look ahead of time to Coach Turner to see when the tournament is scheduled. Then they can predict the 100% chance of rain that always occurs during this tournament.

Hendersonville has a nice draw--CAK, Oak Ridge, Catholic. Would have been interesting to see them matched up with Bearden, Farragut and Maryville.

This is the first time in my recent memory that H'ville has not been scheduled to play Bearden or Farragut. That being said if anyone thinks CAK, Knox Catholic, and Oak Ridge are a cakewalk should probably think again. I know H'ville was not slated to play Bearden because they will meet them in the Hendersonville Classic.

Edited by BarcaFan

It wouldn't be the Bearden Tournament if there was no rain or sloppy field conditions. The soccer gods must feel the need for making it feel like England for this tournament every year.

Gypsy, I would also like to thank you for this write up. Additionally if you notice any particularly great performances by individuals or teams I would love some names or numbers, positions, and playing style. My son has graduated but I still love to watch and hear about the kids around the state.

Thanks!

I believe these games are on tap for today. Everybody join in on game commentary and lets see where this thread takes us this year. (keep it clean)

Hardin Valley vs Houston

Bearden vs Germantown

Farragut vs Collierville

Knox Catholic vs Notre Dame

Maryville vs Gallatin

Siegel vs CAK

Hendersonville vs Oak Ridge