Year of the Rebels?

rebelious

The Rebels will win  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will OCC win next season?

• 5-7 plus one playoff game
    • 5-7 plus two or more playoff games
    • 6-9 plus one playoff game
    • 6-9 plus two or more playoff games
    • Won't make the playoffs
    • Will make the playoffs but won't win a game
    • Will win a state title

It looks like it's now or never for am Obion County football program which has mortgaged the farm the past three years to try and build a winner. They return all their skilled players mostly seniors on offense and have also added several other talented players including Dyer County transfer Marcus Parr. Defensively, they should be better if the two-platoon system is pushed aside. The current head coach has a .500 record the last two seasons after an 0-10 first year. They have been to the playoffs the last two seasons but have not advanced. Most feel the team underachieved last season, so anything less than a couple of playoff wins would be considered a letdown by most fans. As a grad, I feel like the cost to get to this point has been pretty high as the basketball and baseball programs have struggled during this time as the fb coach has been given pretty much a free rein to do as he pleased. The discontent amongst the coaches of the various sports led to the removal of the AD. The offseason drama here has created a tense atmosphere and it looks like all the programs are at a crossroads, especially football.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it's now or never for am Obion County football program which has mortgaged the farm the past three years to try and build a winner. They return all their skilled players mostly seniors on offense and have also added several other talented players including Dyer County transfer Marcus Parr. Defensively, they should be better if the two-platoon system is pushed aside. The current head coach has a .500 record the last two seasons after an 0-10 first year. They have been to the playoffs the last two seasons but have not advanced. Most feel the team underachieved last season, so anything less than a couple of playoff wins would be considered a letdown by most fans. As a grad, I feel like the cost to get to this point has been pretty high as the basketball and baseball programs have struggled during this time as the fb coach has been given pretty much a free rein to do as he pleased. The discontent amongst the coaches of the various sports led to the removal of the AD. The offseason drama here has created a tense atmosphere and it looks like all the programs are at a crossroads, especially football.

You're right about expectations being higher. Nobody (coaches, players, & fans) will be satisfied with just a first round go. However, I will have to disagree with your "cost" mention. Basketball and baseball haven't suffered because of Shawn Jackson. If they have, how so? Last time I checked the rosters or went to any games (both basketball and baseball), several guys who played primarily football were playing basketball or baseball. However, the reverse is not true....guys who play basketball or baseball primarily are not playing football. Seems like the "cost" has been mainly with those sport's head coaches own decisions that they have made and not of Shawn Jackson.

Is Shawn Jackson perfect? No, but he and his coaches have done a lot of work to get the players where they are at now. Now, bring on the 2011 season!

As I read this post, one word comes to mind...clueless. First of all, if you are an OC alum (and I'm sure you are not) then you know that the Rebel football program had sunk into the abyss of West TN football. What Coach Jackson has done with the program in 3 years is remarkable. I've watched this program for more years than you...and that's a fact. There is no coach, and I mean NO COACH in the Rebel program that works as hard as Shawn Jackson. Maybe if the coaches in the other programs worked as hard, they too would enjoy some success. Kind of hard to prepare your team when you don't put forth the effort. Sounds like some people envious of the football program. He has offered to help EVERY athletic program in the school through summer conditioning, weight training, etc. He's NEVER encouraged a player to just play football, so believe whatever you want. And as far as the AD losing his position, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

Edited by hotelCA

As I read this post, one word comes to mind...clueless. First of all, if you are an OC alum (and I'm sure you are not) then you know that the Rebel football program had sunk into the abyss of West TN football. What Coach Jackson has done with the program in 3 years is remarkable. I've watched this program for more years than you...and that's a fact. There is no coach, and I mean NO COACH in the Rebel program that works as hard as Shawn Jackson. Maybe if the coaches in the other programs worked as hard, they too would enjoy some success. Kind of hard to prepare your team when you don't put forth the effort. Sounds like some people envious of the football program. He has offered to help EVERY athletic program in the school through summer conditioning, weight training, etc. He's NEVER encouraged a player to just play football, so believe whatever you want. And as far as the AD losing his position, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

Explain this part of your post...Exactly how have the baseball or basketball programs suffered because of football ??...

I'm not sure what the expectations of the fans are...This is a program with 1 playoff win ever...EVER...If they were to win two games in the playoffs, I would consider that a HUGE accomplishment for the Rebel program...I'm sure a single win in the playoffs would be considered a success here as well...

Explain this part of your post...Exactly how have the baseball or basketball programs suffered because of football ??...

I'm not sure what the expectations of the fans are...This is a program with 1 playoff win ever...EVER...If they were to win two games in the playoffs, I would consider that a HUGE accomplishment for the Rebel program...I'm sure a single win in the playoffs would be considered a success here as well...

He can't explain his comments, because he doesn't have any research or proof to back that up. Simply someone jealous of the football team showing promise.

It may not only be true there but at a lot of other schools as well. One sport can hurt other programs if not controlled by a strong AD by allowing the following to happen:

A. Lifting heavy weights and throwing on days multi-sport players have games, often just an hour or two before that game. The quarterback is often one of the team's best pitchers and is forced to throw with a dead arm.

B. Holding two-a-days on game days, forcing athletes to get up early, practice twice and then play a game. This leads to some 15 hour days for those who do play more than one sport.

C. Leaving for football camps and combines and missing second sports games during the process.

I don't know if this applies specifically to this situation but is a general answer to the question. Just saying that happens at a lot of places and if the shoe fits...

It may not only be true there but at a lot of other schools as well. One sport can hurt other programs if not controlled by a strong AD by allowing the following to happen:

A. Lifting heavy weights and throwing on days multi-sport players have games, often just an hour or two before that game. The quarterback is often one of the team's best pitchers and is forced to throw with a dead arm.

B. Holding two-a-days on game days, forcing athletes to get up early, practice twice and then play a game. This leads to some 15 hour days for those who do play more than one sport.

C. Leaving for football camps and combines and missing second sports games during the process.

I don't know if this applies specifically to this situation but is a general answer to the question. Just saying that happens at a lot of places and if the shoe fits...

Wow, sounds like our buddy Rebelious either: A= has a new screen name OR B= has a surrogate post his/her thoughts for them....

Lets go point by point shall we on your general bashing of the Rebels (even if said team is not mentioned but likened to by the "Other teams" reference.

A:Dead arm pitcher (you cited as team QB). You mean Phipps, who is as the QB for the Rebels and the #1 pitcher for the baseball team. What you should do is ask his coaches about this, because I kind of figure that any coach with common sense who cares about their players wouldn't do this. And yes, Coach Jackson does care about him.

B: Two-a-days? Is it August?

C:Not only referencing Phipps, but now Cary, both of whom attended the Nike Sparq combine in Dallas. Oh sure, which is more important, a NON-DISTRICT game or their highly potential college football career?

And as far as the screen name goes, history lesson for you: the Trojan Horse was easy way to spoof the people of Troy to get inside and destroy it. Just so you know.....

Its Easy E "Peace Out!"

Edited by ItsEasyE

the last act of a desperate man or coward!! And if that shoe fits.......