The Last Time

yoda52

I was sitting in my chair this morning enjoying my coffee and watching Sportscenter before the rest of my of my household awakened, thinking about todays game. Our district tourney begins today, same as most districts across the state. I am fortunate to be off work today to attend the game, for I work out of town most of the time. As I was thinking about who we were playing today, who would be pitching , and all the other things a " Baseball Dad " thinks about, I became overcome with emotion and began to cry. My son, you see , is a highschool senior. I realized ,out of the blue, This could be the last time I ever see him play a baseball game. The game I taught him to play, just as my father taught me. The same as millions of fathers have taught their sons to play. I was sad that it could be the last time. Sad with the uncertainty that he may or may not have the opportunity to play in college. As I sat there crying, I realized I was so happy I have had the opportunity to spend litterally thousands of hours with my son and family, creating a bond that can never be equaled and memories That couldn't be bought with all the gold in the world.As the same for all "Baseball Dads"...and Moms, going to practice ,games ,and tournaments since T-Ball basically consume or lives. Our weekly schedules, social lives, and especially our budgets have revolved around the ball park. That doesn't even account for those "backyard practices", lessons, and the MILLION PLUS batting practice pitches I have thrown,( I quit counting at 800,000 ). I salute every parent ,past ,present,and future, for enduring the frustration of umpires, bad coaches,good coaches that make bad decisions (in our eyes), bad fields, ugly uniforms, Umpires, fundraisers, small baseball budgets, UMPIRES (just joking), and RAINOUTS !! This day will come for everyone who has a son that plays. Remember ,most of all, your joy, as i will today, perhaps for THE LAST TIME. I hope I don't cry.... I LOVE YOU SON !

I was sitting in my chair this morning enjoying my coffee and watching Sportscenter before the rest of my of my household awakened, thinking about todays game. Our district tourney begins today, same as most districts across the state. I am fortunate to be off work today to attend the game, for I work out of town most of the time. As I was thinking about who we were playing today, who would be pitching , and all the other things a " Baseball Dad " thinks about, I became overcome with emotion and began to cry. My son, you see , is a highschool senior. I realized ,out of the blue, This could be the last time I ever see him play a baseball game. The game I taught him to play, just as my father taught me. The same as millions of fathers have taught their sons to play. I was sad that it could be the last time. Sad with the uncertainty that he may or may not have the opportunity to play in college. As I sat there crying, I realized I was so happy I have had the opportunity to spend litterally thousands of hours with my son and family, creating a bond that can never be equaled and memories That couldn't be bought with all the gold in the world.As the same for all "Baseball Dads"...and Moms, going to practice ,games ,and tournaments since T-Ball basically consume or lives. Our weekly schedules, social lives, and especially our budgets have revolved around the ball park. That doesn't even account for those "backyard practices", lessons, and the MILLION PLUS batting practice pitches I have thrown,( I quit counting at 800,000 ). I salute every parent ,past ,present,and future, for enduring the frustration of umpires, bad coaches,good coaches that make bad decisions (in our eyes), bad fields, ugly uniforms, Umpires, fundraisers, small baseball budgets, UMPIRES (just joking), and RAINOUTS !! This day will come for everyone who has a son that plays. Remember ,most of all, your joy, as i will today, perhaps for THE LAST TIME. I hope I don't cry.... I LOVE YOU SON !

Thanks Yoda

Finally someone who GETS IT :thumb:

Thanks Yoda

Kudos... more people out there get it, just don't speak up like some of us loving the game, not just how "little johnny" did. Mostly what you hear are the "mouths" that can't believe a call doesn't go their way, when supporting the team should be the motivation for being there. Got a whole year to await this moment. Good Luck!

as a father of 2 boys that have played high school baseball i can so relate to how you are feeling...my oldest son went on to play a little rec ball after his SR year and that was his final summer but my next one is playing college ball although he is inelegible it is killing me not to watch him play and hurting him too i get a lot of joy out of watching all 4 of my boys participate in whatever sport they played and like you I cant even begin to tell you how many pitches i have thrown or have squated down like a catcher and recieved pitches although i can tell you when i stopped doing that (my second ones freshman year he threw way to hard for me to continue catching lol) OTHER PARENTS PLEASE ENJOY THIS RIDE..

Thanks Yoda

This is one of the best posts I have read on here in a long time. Thank you for sharing this yoda. Everything you describe could not be more true. I have 2 years left and hope to enjoy every minute of the journey. I think I have learned as much from my son in this process as he has me. The best conversations we have is playing catch. This is what it is all about!! All the real baseball dads are with you yoda!! :thumb:

Well done yoda52! Senior night was tough for me but there were more games left. Now when we're at the point of 'over' it'll be an emotional rollercoaster. Sat at the ballpark of a rival team who my son played travel ball with for 3 years last night. It was their senior night. Didn't want to leave. Tonight is do or die at our place. Likely the last home game. There will be lot's of tears when it's over.

Well done yoda52! Senior night was tough for me but there were more games left. Now when we're at the point of 'over' it'll be an emotional rollercoaster. Sat at the ballpark of a rival team who my son played travel ball with for 3 years last night. It was their senior night. Didn't want to leave. Tonight is do or die at our place. Likely the last home game. There will be lot's of tears when it's over.

Let the tears flow,they will dry and memories will replace them. The boys will have a hard time removing their uniforms for the last time,they ALL do.

Thank you Yoda. Heartfelt words felt by many of us. Encouraging to know the same scene is being played out in many Dad's minds. This bond is what makes me cry up to the 87th time I have watched Field of Dreams. If one hasn't lived it, it is not something to be understood from a distance. Sad at what I know is coming, but blessed we all are for having endeavored on the journey and not grown weary. The real fruit in the form of those bonds will be harvested for many years. Good luck to all taking that walk.