South Football

Here is what was related to me:

Short scrimmage...rain?

SS QB out with hammy?

HV huge up front. #5 for HV is a moose.

SS 2 HV 0 (Starters)

No other scores.

SS looked faster but definitely not bigger than HV.

Some long runs from RB's and runs after catch, no long passes.

Not sure exactly who did what as numbers are different than game jersys.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamstring injuries can sometimes be long term in scope. Not always, but many times reoccurring. Miniscus tears used to be considered small fry, however now surgery is performed which in and of itself requires substantial rehab.The Soph kid at QB could be long term...depending. Which will put the Frosh from CHMS square in the backup role. No doubt this will take away the long ball capability of Alex. Rehab for a severed ACL is 6 months minimum however a minuscus tear should not be quite the same. In the past, Seth Wattersons hamstring injury was reoccurring...for arguments sake. These injuries fortunately have the summer to heal. I hope the disabled mend well and come back strong. On the brighter side, I think Wagner at RB was a bold experiment. My understanding was that no one understands the read responsibilities of the RB out of this Zone, Read offense. Which is crutial. Hutchins and Wagner both posess the intellect to understand this concept. Whether they have the grit to trancend to this position is yet to be seen. However, Wagner posted a 4.5 flat at the Atlanta combine along with a 4.3 shuttle. Yes Science Hill will smoke that but those numbers are on par with the best of South's RB's of recent memory. The RB's ability to read the defense is the single most important facet of this offense. Escape maneuvers are second. Speed is third. Science Hill proved last year that speed does not a RB make. It is a nice addition to an otherwise complicated skill set but if speed is all you have then run track. I am interested to see what is going on with the Black Bird. Will try to make it to North...who, by the way, I hear will have the best team it has had in years. Spring ball is always iffy so no need to be concerned.

One option on the schools is to allow open enrollment at both db and South. South will pick up at least a dozen of db's better athletes and lose a couple. South's academics may suffer but that's OK.

poor south bunch of cry babies..... this is the last year of the rebels....it will be called south rejects next your

Hamstring injuries can sometimes be long term in scope. Not always, but many times reoccurring. Miniscus tears used to be considered small fry, however now surgery is performed which in and of itself requires substantial rehab.The Soph kid at QB could be long term...depending. Which will put the Frosh from CHMS square in the backup role. No doubt this will take away the long ball capability of Alex. Rehab for a severed ACL is 6 months minimum however a minuscus tear should not be quite the same. In the past, Seth Wattersons hamstring injury was reoccurring...for arguments sake. These injuries fortunately have the summer to heal. I hope the disabled mend well and come back strong. On the brighter side, I think Wagner at RB was a bold experiment. My understanding was that no one understands the read responsibilities of the RB out of this Zone, Read offense. Which is crutial. Hutchins and Wagner both posess the intellect to understand this concept. Whether they have the grit to trancend to this position is yet to be seen. However, Wagner posted a 4.5 flat at the Atlanta combine along with a 4.3 shuttle. Yes Science Hill will smoke that but those numbers are on par with the best of South's RB's of recent memory. The RB's ability to read the defense is the single most important facet of this offense. Escape maneuvers are second. Speed is third. Science Hill proved last year that speed does not a RB make. It is a nice addition to an otherwise complicated skill set but if speed is all you have then run track. I am interested to see what is going on with the Black Bird. Will try to make it to North...who, by the way, I hear will have the best team it has had in years. Spring ball is always iffy so no need to be concerned.

Not ACL was my info. He will be probably be back. Needs to quit playing both ways, as do most.

The RB doesn't have the "read responsibility" in the "zone read". It is the QB. And the QB has to be able to run. No need for them to get too technical right now. Better see who the QB is going to be first.

Here is what was related to me:

Short scrimmage...rain?

SS QB out with hammy?

HV huge up front. #5 for HV is a moose.

SS 2 HV 0 (Starters)

No other scores.

SS looked faster but definitely not bigger than HV.

Some long runs from RB's and runs after catch, no long passes.

Not sure exactly who did what as numbers are different than game jersys.

Fairly lengthy scrimmage, in fact, not as long as everyone would have liked. Each team had the ball probably 12-15 times, I'd guess. HV's 77 was a man, and #5 looked like a real athlete---looked gook at MLB and RB. HV came hungry and have no lack of "mean". They really flew to the ball and they would pass a lick. Just don't have the numbers, so looked like they got tired half way thru the scrum.

SS played alot of people thru the event. QB out with hammy, no word on seriousness. OL is young and looked a litle shell-shocked to begin with, but got better. I think they have some work to do, but I believe they'll come together.

Backup QB came in and moved the offense rather effectively, I thought. We have about 5 RB potentials, which means depth. Wide Recieivers look good. Defense----I thought looked good. This year we have more size on the O and D line than ever. They are young, but they'll be fine.

We'll know more after the scrum with North on Friday.

Not ACL was my info. He will be probably be back. Needs to quit playing both ways, as do most.

The RB doesn't have the "read responsibility" in the "zone read". It is the QB. And the QB has to be able to run. No need for them to get too technical right now. Better see who the QB is going to be first.

Only used "ACL" as an example of a rehab time frame. Miniscus should be much quicker rehab dependign on the invasion. Please J...the read responsibility is squarely in the lap of the QB...we know this. BUT...many times the QB hands off when he should not...and many times he doesn't hand off when he should. Bottom line is the RB has the exact same responsibility. The blocking scheme in this offense is not cut and dried. If the defender commits then the lineman obliges him and drives him in that committed direction. That's why there is no predetermined "hole". Hence the RB's need to read the linemans que in order to hit second gear. Otherwise the RB is dead in the water. That's why this offense is glorious to the "correct" RB...i.e. one that can make the read. A RB in this offense can have all the speed in the world but if he cannot read then he should play another position. Historically, the QB's and the RB's in this offense who were successful were masters of the read. I am not writing our starting QB off. I am an advocate of his. He has an arm. I hope for his quick return. But the Soph must come up to speed and now. He will get playing time.

Hey, Dad, what's the news on Trevor? I heard he's not doing spring football.

He is not playing for us. He has told many he was going to DB to play. Its a real shame he has so much natural talent but puts little effort in with it. Plus he has a much more important thing to deal with now. I hope all works out well for him and his family. Also hope Alex is ok he has waited a long time for this year.The Black & Gold are young and on the rebuild this year with about an all soph team ( juniors next year)

I hope we can give you guys a run for it before we run out of players. Good luck & play safe

Go Raiders

Only used "ACL" as an example of a rehab time frame. Miniscus should be much quicker rehab dependign on the invasion. Please J...the read responsibility is squarely in the lap of the QB...we know this. BUT...many times the QB hands off when he should not...and many times he doesn't hand off when he should. Bottom line is the RB has the exact same responsibility. The blocking scheme in this offense is not cut and dried. If the defender commits then the lineman obliges him and drives him in that committed direction. That's why there is no predetermined "hole". Hence the RB's need to read the linemans que in order to hit second gear. Otherwise the RB is dead in the water. That's why this offense is glorious to the "correct" RB...i.e. one that can make the read. A RB in this offense can have all the speed in the world but if he cannot read then he should play another position. Historically, the QB's and the RB's in this offense who were successful were masters of the read. I am not writing our starting QB off. I am an advocate of his. He has an arm. I hope for his quick return. But the Soph must come up to speed and now. He will get playing time.

This stuff aint rocket science.I could teach my little sis in about 10 minutes and not the way you do it here. Look it up,but I'm sure your boy will do just fine.