Catholic at Maryville

AlcoaDad

WOW....This was a heck of a game. It was 0 - 0 at the half. Maryville lived in the Catholic end of the field. Play after play, shot after shot, Maryville could not get anything in. If time of possession counted Maryville would have been up big. Looking at Catholic right before the half, they looked gassed. They were bent over, holding their short and giving all the signs of a worn out team. The speed and pace of play in the 1st half was as fast as I have ever seen. It looked like Catholics game plan was to play defense and counter. There were times Catholic had 11 behind the ball and the two Maryville forwards were totally by themselves without even a token Catholic presence up top. The Catholic keeper played out of his mind in the 1st half. Catholic got a few good chances but the Maryville keeper was up to the challenge.

The second half started out much the same with Maryville pressing the play and dominating the ball. Catholic came out of the half with good energy but it quickly went away and they became totally defensive. Maryville finally scored off a corner with a nice header. At this point Maryville went into possession play with about 10 minutes to go. I may be a bit wrong on the time, but it was in that time range. Catholic was totally chasing and seemed to have no answer to Maryville's possession. The pace of play slowed down to almost a walk at times. Catholic picked off a Maryville pass and took it down the field and a foul was called on Maryville outside the box, in front on the right side, the Maryville sidelines went crazy. Maryville made a 4 man wall to contest the kick. It looked like a jail break from the left side with the Catholic overload when Catholic players blew by the Maryville defenders and put the ball in the back of the net off the set piece. It was a very pretty play. I am not sure how three or four Catholic players got open on the back side, but they could have drawn straws to see who was going to take the shot, they were so open.

This was very stunning to the Maryville players and fans as Maryville had controlled play to such a degree. It breathed new life into the Catholic players and they had a new spring in their step. Play resumed and Maryville went back to possession and Catholic went on the defensive. Another pass got away from Maryville and Catholic was off to the races again. A great shot was taken by Catholic from the left side and the Maryville keeper made a great diving double punch to make the save. No one marked the Catholic player in front of the goal at the top of the box and Catholic jammed the ball into the goal. Catholic 2 Maryville 1 about 2-3 minutes to go.

Maryville went into super attack mode and had a number of great opportunities but the Catholic keeper again raised his game and made some outstanding saves. Catholic wins 2 - 1 and advances to the District Final.

Maryville may point to an odd play in the first half were it looked like an obvious handball was committed in the box by Catholic. There was a call, but I am not sure what it was. It was a very strange play.

This was a stunning game to watch as it seemed like Maryville was vastly the better team, yet they could not put Catholic away. This was a very gritty, gutsy effort by Catholic to not get down and to fight through the emotions and the fatigue.

Maryville is a great team and has lots of talent, tonight, Catholic did what they had to to win. Hats off to two teams that left it all on the field.

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

WOW....This was a heck of a game. It was 0 - 0 at the half. Maryville lived in the Catholic end of the field. Play after play, shot after shot, Maryville could not get anything in. If time of possession counted Maryville would have been up big. Looking at Catholic right before the half, they looked gassed. They were bent over, holding their short and giving all the signs of a worn out team. The speed and pace of play in the 1st half was as fast as I have ever seen. It looked like Catholics game plan was to play defense and counter. There were times Catholic had 11 behind the ball and the two Maryville forwards were totally by themselves without even a token Catholic presence up top. The Catholic keeper played out of his mind in the 1st half. Catholic got a few good chances but the Maryville keeper was up to the challenge.

The second half started out much the same with Maryville pressing the play and dominating the ball. Catholic came out of the half with good energy but it quickly went away and they became totally defensive. Maryville finally scored off a corner with a nice header. At this point Maryville went into possession play with about 10 minutes to go. I may be a bit wrong on the time, but it was in that time range. Catholic was totally chasing and seemed to have no answer to Maryville's possession. The pace of play slowed down to almost a walk at times. Catholic picked off a Maryville pass and took it down the field and a foul was called on Maryville outside the box, in front on the right side, the Maryville sidelines went crazy. Maryville made a 4 man wall to contest the kick. It looked like a jail break from the left side with the Catholic overload when Catholic players blew by the Maryville defenders and put the ball in the back of the net off the set piece. It was a very pretty play. I am not sure how three or four Catholic players got open on the back side, but they could have drawn straws to see who was going to take the shot, they were so open.

This was very stunning to the Maryville players and fans as Maryville had controlled play to such a degree. It breathed new life into the Catholic players and they had a new spring in their step. Play resumed and Maryville went back to possession and Catholic went on the defensive. Another pass got away from Maryville and Catholic was off to the races again. A great shot was taken by Catholic from the left side and the Maryville keeper made a great diving double punch to make the save. No one marked the Catholic player in front of the goal at the top of the box and Catholic jammed the ball into the goal. Catholic 2 Maryville 1 about 2-3 minutes to go.

Maryville went into super attack mode and had a number of great opportunities but the Catholic keeper again raised his game and made some outstanding saves. Catholic wins 2 - 1 and advances to the District Final.

Maryville may point to an odd play in the first half were it looked like an obvious handball was committed in the box by Catholic. There was a call, but I am not sure what it was. It was a very strange play.

This was a stunning game to watch as it seemed like Maryville was vastly the better team, yet they could not put Catholic away. This was a very gritty, gutsy effort by Catholic to not get down and to fight through the emotions and the fatigue.

Maryville is a great team and has lots of talent, tonight, Catholic did what they had to to win. Hats off to two teams that left it all on the field.

AlcoaDad

Maryville dominated most of the game, but as they learned against TN High, all that matters is the final score. I do the PA for Maryville, and I noticed that as soon as I announced the Farragut score, the whole game changed. As soon as I said it, both teams looked to the booth in shock. They also reacted very differently on the field. I saw Maryville players cheering as if they could sit on their 1-0 lead and they'd automatically get Farragut in the finals on Friday (say that three times fast). Catholic, on the other hand, stepped it up and really took over the game's momentum.

Huge win for Catholic. I overheard them celebrating after the game, and they were all saying, "let's go to Moe's!" I don't know why that made me laugh. Reminded me of going to Pizza Hut to celebrate at the end of an AYSO season as a kid. I wonder if their coach handed out tiny plastic trophies.

"I do the PA for Maryville, and I noticed that as soon as I announced the Farragut score, the whole game changed. As soon as I said it, both teams looked to the booth in shock. They also reacted very differently on the field. I saw Maryville players cheering as if they could sit on their 1-0 lead and they'd automatically get Farragut in the finals on Friday"

Not sure if you will have that job next year :thumb:

Also, was there any celebrating in the middle of the field after the game? :roflol:

That district is so unpredictable. Guess thats why they call it the "D.O.D"

AlcoaDad

Thanks for the re-cap Alcoadad. I would love to have been there for the game.

I was shocked to see that Maryville had lost to Catholic after beating them during the reg. season and overall, having a very strong season. It all comes down to the play offs, and if you don't compete, you aren't gonna go far. It sounds like catholic showed they were more competitive than Maryville. I don't think Maryville should have played possession ball after going up just 1-0.