Rhea County Coaching Search

In the coaching search I hope they are not only looking for a good coach that is seeking a job, but a good coach that wants to be at RHEA COUNTY. There is a big difference. Some guys just want to coach, some want to coach at their home school. There are a lot of good coaches out there and all of them have a destination that they consider their "dream job". You have an opportunity to hire one of these coaches in Jerry Cook that will not flirt with every single school that has an opening. This would be a refreshing change from what have become accustomed to.

Amen brother!

In the coaching search I hope they are not only looking for a good coach that is seeking a job, but a good coach that wants to be at RHEA COUNTY. There is a big difference. Some guys just want to coach, some want to coach at their home school. There are a lot of good coaches out there and all of them have a destination that they consider their "dream job". You have an opportunity to hire one of these coaches in Jerry Cook that will not flirt with every single school that has an opening. This would be a refreshing change from what have become accustomed to.

Absolutely!! Coach Cook is the man for the job. There is no doubt about it. This is where he wants to be. So if the administration is in this for the program and the players than it is no issue. Hire Jerry Cook as the next Head Football Coach.

Good insight.

I'm going to have to disagree with most of what you said.you say fitz was a good coach I just don't see how you think that, he would make a good assistant coach to some one and he is a good position coach but as far a leading a team I just don't see it.now before everyone starts jumping on me let me explain myself.now I like fitz I believe he is a good man that gave everything he had to this team for many years.now when someone says that he was a GOOD coach I say let's compare him with the coachs that coached before him.Horton ,Payne and you also had Hammontree.I don't really want to get into Hammontree I believe that Georgia money got to him,he just wasn't the same guy that he use to be.so let's see now Horton was good coach and built this program into a powerhouse other schools hated to play us because they knew it was going to be bad for them,then you have coach Payne that had his teams winning and getting better every year and if I remember right they were pretty darn good when he got into trouble and resigned. So we get to to the former coach he did win a region championship his first year but we also had one of the best coaches in the state calling the plays (pemberton) after that there wasn't that many victorys come by the way of the eagles,yes there was some maybe he was a. 500 coach.I do know this the teams that rhea use to beat every year are now beating us all over the field like Mcminn Co he never once beat them then there is Soddy now he did beat them but it wasn't alot and here for the last couple of years bradley has beat us. There are some people that will say these team have gotten better over the years well I say maybe a couple of them for a few years but overall the are the same if not worse when I played.now don't get me wrong I did support him even when times were bad but I change my tune a few years back so if you really think about it a can remember back when rhea was real good year after year you may not want to point fingers at the administration after all they are not out there coaching our young men but they can make changes when things are not up to par. Hopefully things will turn around in evensville if they make a good hire and rhea can get back on top again. I do wish fitzgerald the best and im sure he will make a good coach one day and to everyone that thinks I am trashing him well that is not my intent, I am just trying to get people to see that he wasn't as great as everyone makes him out to be.

I'm going to have to disagree with most of what you said.you say fitz was a good coach I just don't see how you think that, he would make a good assistant coach to some one and he is a good position coach but as far a leading a team I just don't see it.now before everyone starts jumping on me let me explain myself.now I like fitz I believe he is a good man that gave everything he had to this team for many years.now when someone says that he was a GOOD coach I say let's compare him with the coachs that coached before him.Horton ,Payne and you also had Hammontree.I don't really want to get into Hammontree I believe that Georgia money got to him,he just wasn't the same guy that he use to be.so let's see now Horton was good coach and built this program into a powerhouse other schools hated to play us because they knew it was going to be bad for them,then you have coach Payne that had his teams winning and getting better every year and if I remember right they were pretty darn good when he got into trouble and resigned. So we get to to the former coach he did win a region championship his first year but we also had one of the best coaches in the state calling the plays (pemberton) after that there wasn't that many victorys come by the way of the eagles,yes there was some maybe he was a. 500 coach.I do know this the teams that rhea use to beat every year are now beating us all over the field like Mcminn Co he never once beat them then there is Soddy now he did beat them but it wasn't alot and here for the last couple of years bradley has beat us. There are some people that will say these team have gotten better over the years well I say maybe a couple of them for a few years but overall the are the same if not worse when I played.now don't get me wrong I did support him even when times were bad but I change my tune a few years back so if you really think about it a can remember back when rhea was real good year after year you may not want to point fingers at the administration after all they are not out there coaching our young men but they can make changes when things are not up to par. Hopefully things will turn around in evensville if they make a good hire and rhea can get back on top again. I do wish fitzgerald the best and im sure he will make a good coach one day and to everyone that thinks I am trashing him well that is not my intent, I am just trying to get people to see that he wasn't as great as everyone makes him out to be.

Sorry I put this with the wrong post.

I like Jerry to but did he not leave Rhea to go to Chatt. Central to make more money?

Listen say what you want to but get your facts straight. He did not win 1 region championship he won two. Never beat Mcminn? Guess you were not in athens last year! Pemberton was a great coach. went to the quarterfinals twice after pemberton and won a region championship. Once with ruehling as OC once with Cameron.Brad Payne 3-7,4-6,4-6,9-4. Hamontree 11-11 fitzgerald 66-48 You are entitled to your opinion but know your facts. The only time Rhea has been dominant year after year was 85,86,88,89,90 look at those rosters. Just the facts!!1

Listen say what you want to but get your facts straight. He did not win 1 region championship he won two. Never beat Mcminn? Guess you were not in athens last year! Pemberton was a great coach. went to the quarterfinals twice after pemberton and won a region championship. Once with ruehling as OC once with Cameron.Brad Payne 3-7,4-6,4-6,9-4. Hamontree 11-11 fitzgerald 66-48 You are entitled to your opinion but know your facts. The only time Rhea has been dominant year after year was 85,86,88,89,90 look at those rosters. Just the facts!!1

Well said.

And to the comment about Cook going to Central following the money: I'd say he went to get experience as a defensive coordinator. My guess is he didn't think Rhea would ever present a place for him to move up, so he went elsewhere. Take a look at who he would be coaching under: John Allen. Everyone knows Coach Allen doesn't stay anywhere long. That being said, if Coach Cook was a DC at Central for a year or two, he'd know the system well enough to step in when Allen leaves Central.

I would love to see Coach Cook back in Green this fall. The paper today said there were 31 applicants and they'd hope to make significant progress in the search by early next week.

I also agree with a post above: It doesn't have to be a great coach. It's more important that it's a coach who WANTS to be at Rhea County High School. Everyone knows the RC school system doesn't pay as well as surrounding counties. You can make thousands more a year by driving south into Hamilton County. So it'd take someone special to want to commit to these boys and stay around awhile. That being said, I hope that the higher-ups name that person to be Jerry Cook.

We shall wait and see :popcorneater:

I know my facts yes he did win a two region titles but the second one cam inthe final game of the year because walker valley beat cleveland and it put rhea in first, yes I know this! I also know that when all the games started that night rhea was going to finish 4th in the region and that walker win put them in 1st and I my mind must realy be playing tricks on me but I don't remember rhea beating Mcminn last year and I was there and yes his record is not .500 but its close.not sure about last year vs Mcminn but if im wrong im wrong it wont be the first time and wont be the last. I guess I really struck a nerve with some people but it gets to me to to here people put this coach up on the hall of fame wall. Now brad I did not go back and look at his overall record like you did.I guess I just remember his last year more than any, like I said they were pretty good.that was the year and this is without looking that rhea beat mccallie and baylor in the same year and I believe that rhea is the only team in this area that's ever done that.

Well maybe I was wrong about that Mcminn co game you can't be right all the time, but that is one game in how many, you can probably count them on two hands.like I said my point is this he is not as good as everyone make him out to be.having a 66-48 record is not something you write home about.think about this and im not trying to run him in the ground , this is just a friendly discussion.how many times in the time that he was coach did rhea win a game that they wasn't suppose to win according to the so called experts that pick these games in our local and chatt papers? I remember one and that was the east ridge game in the playoffs the year they won the region title, rhea beat them in ot that night then went on to play powell and maryville.this is just my opinion.everyone has there own.likei said before I like fitz and would do anything for him but do disagree that he was that good of a coach.I've said my peace and I won't post on this subject again, all I going to do is look forward to a new coach and a new year go and support our eagles this fall, I really didn't want to offend anyone or coach fitz I am just getting it off my chest.

Well maybe I was wrong about that Mcminn co game you can't be right all the time, but that is one game in how many, you can probably count them on two hands.like I said my point is this he is not as good as everyone make him out to be.having a 66-48 record is not something you write home about.think about this and im not trying to run him in the ground , this is just a friendly discussion.how many times in the time that he was coach did rhea win a game that they wasn't suppose to win according to the so called experts that pick these games in our local and chatt papers? I remember one and that was the east ridge game in the playoffs the year they won the region title, rhea beat them in ot that night then went on to play powell and maryville.this is just my opinion.everyone has there own.likei said before I like fitz and would do anything for him but do disagree that he was that good of a coach.I've said my peace and I won't post on this subject again, all I going to do is look forward to a new coach and a new year go and support our eagles this fall, I really didn't want to offend anyone or coach fitz I am just getting it off my chest.

First of all "I know a thing or two about a thing or two" and when I say Fitzgerald was a very good coach I mean it. Some coaches only care about being a coach or having a job ect... Fitz loved his community , school, the kids , friends, and coaches. He had a great run and will be successful again. Maybe it was time to leave. Sometimes in life change is good , I know first hand. Please quit bashing Fitz and Rhea football . What you need to do is band together and help place the best replacement in tow. Continue to support the Eagles (Fitz will). As for Hammondtree lol ,unless he has taken some psychology classes and become a heck alot nicer to people ,I rather see Lane Kiffin there.Because remember a Snake is still a Snake , whether you look like one or not. (in fact he does) Good luck to Fitz and his staff and the Rhea County Eagles.