Rhea County Coaching Search

To the person with the children that played for RCES, you're probably thinking of Mike Kinney, Sr. The Mike Kinney being mentioned is his son, Mike Jr. However, I've heard that he has since pulled his name out of the race.

I'm hearing there's more than six coaches that have thrown their name into the hat. Actually, quite a few more. However, we'll never know. We can just wait until the admin conducts their interviews and the players a name.

Edited by UnsilentMajority

Well one of my sources just forward me some good info and some info that I wish could be better.

The info that could be better we only have 6 coaches applied and kinney has decided not to pursue the head job after all.

Now the coaches names thar have applied

Coach Marsh Sweetwater Head Coach- I have heard alot of very good things about coach marsh young guy but very good coach.

Coach Cook Chatt Central D-Coord. We all know cook and what he has done in the past.

Coach Davis Rhea County Special Teams Coord, receivers, inside linebackers, and strenght coach. Coach Davis as mentioned before 20+ years experience.

Coach Reggie Mathis Former D coord at Soddy. Coach Mathis isn't currently coaching but from what I remember of him he is a solid coach.

Coach Brint Russell Maryville Hertiage Head Coach- Don't know a whole alot about him.

There is also a small college coach that has applied but they could not remember the name.

Also Coach Reel has been contacted a few times but he has not applied.

It was also mentioned at there is 3 maybe 4 coaches that are going to apply also the paper has requested a for a list of those who have applied, and it has been turned over. Also I was given a time line to this all but look for interviews to begin around June 13th.

Rhea Co you have any more updates on the search? I hear that Coach Cook may be the front runner among the coach's that have applied.

Rhea Co you have any more updates on the search? I hear that Coach Cook may be the front runner among the coach's that have applied.

I will probably have something tomorrow. As far as other applicants there have been some more apply. Im hearing they are going to take thursday and friday to evaluate the applicants and schedule some interviews for next week.

Forget your worries about Rhea County football, or any sport at Rhea County. Hamilton has resigned as AD at UT. Let's recruit him for Assistant Rhea County AD. He would be the perfect fit for the Rhea County administration. Not so good for coaches, or athletes, but a super fit for the Rhea County administration.

This saying could go alot of ways.

True, but especially appropriate when you look at some of the CoachT suggestions for a football coaching staff. I keep expecting somebody to suggest that Rhea County mount a recruiting campaign to bring back Hammontree despite the obvious problems he created on his last pass through the county. At some point people should objectively look at what a good job Coach Fitzgerald did in good times AND bad times. There is no such thing as a "Football Messiah" to ride in on a white horse to overcome periods when the talent is not as good as other times (no reflection on the kids who play hard no matter)or when the coach is dealing with an administration that is weak, unprofesssional, and not supportive of coaches. There is no "Football Savior."

The best a rural county like Rhea can do is hope a knowledgeable coach who likes Rhea County will make a commitment to stay the course through thick and thin. Unfortunately, the Rhea County administration does not reward that sort of thing. The Director of Schools is making decisions based on how many votes he might pick up from the School Board (who should not be involved in athletics or any kind of hiring. The Rhea County High School principal is in the same boat. I hope Rhea County succeeds in all sports, and academics, but there are issues that go beyond coaching philosophies, talent, etc. Get real.

Forget your worries about Rhea County football, or any sport at Rhea County. Hamilton has resigned as AD at UT. Let's recruit him for Assistant Rhea County AD. He would be the perfect fit for the Rhea County administration. Not so good for coaches, or athletes, but a super fit for the Rhea County administration.

I think Coach Jerry Cook is a fine man. A true Rhea County person who loves Rhea County. A capable coach who could possibly follow Coach Fitzerald. There is one problem. Coach Cook, like Coach Fitzgerald, is too good for the current Rhea County administration. They will eat him alive and throw him to the wolves the first time some No-Nothing Fan complains, or some No-Nothing Parent complains, or some No-Nothing School Board Member complains,or some No-Nothing CoachT Saturday Morning Quarterback complains. If Coach Cook is smart he will stay at Chatt Central and let the No-Nothings keep on running Rhea County athletics. It's working so well so far.

True, but especially appropriate when you look at some of the CoachT suggestions for a football coaching staff. I keep expecting somebody to suggest that Rhea County mount a recruiting campaign to bring back Hammontree despite the obvious problems he created on his last pass through the county. At some point people should objectively look at what a good job Coach Fitzgerald did in good times AND bad times. There is no such thing as a "Football Messiah" to ride in on a white horse to overcome periods when the talent is not as good as other times (no reflection on the kids who play hard no matter)or when the coach is dealing with an administration that is weak, unprofesssional, and not supportive of coaches. There is no "Football Savior."

The best a rural county like Rhea can do is hope a knowledgeable coach who likes Rhea County will make a commitment to stay the course through thick and thin. Unfortunately, the Rhea County administration does not reward that sort of thing. The Director of Schools is making decisions based on how many votes he might pick up from the School Board (who should not be involved in athletics or any kind of hiring. The Rhea County High School principal is in the same boat. I hope Rhea County succeeds in all sports, and academics, but there are issues that go beyond coaching philosophies, talent, etc. Get real.

Good insight.

In the coaching search I hope they are not only looking for a good coach that is seeking a job, but a good coach that wants to be at RHEA COUNTY. There is a big difference. Some guys just want to coach, some want to coach at their home school. There are a lot of good coaches out there and all of them have a destination that they consider their "dream job". You have an opportunity to hire one of these coaches in Jerry Cook that will not flirt with every single school that has an opening. This would be a refreshing change from what have become accustomed to.

Coach cook would be a very good pick this late in the year and with little money that the county can spend.watching the players that he has coached the last couple of years you can see a big difference, I remember before he came to the high school our db's got burnt on just about every pass play now they play much better and actually break on the ball now.if cook can get our bd' s and receivers to play at a higher level I would like to see what he could do leading the whole team. I truly believe he is the man for the job.