DII\A West Next Year?

IknowDII

Won't waste time talking every team from the west.

West

Bishop Byrne - Always a scrappy team. Alot of hustle should be mid to lower level team.

ECS - Reigning state champs lost alot but have a good core returning. Two young bigs, 6'7 and 6'9 should help alot. Look for them to be a tough team but mid level range.

FACS - Came out of nowhere at the end of last year and made a deep run. Kind of a question mark on what will happen this year. Should be fun to watch them though.

Harding - Very well coached team. Hard nose defense. Has some good returning players that xcould make some noise in the region this year. Could be one of the top 5 teams.

Jackson Christian - Made a great run last year. Lost a guard but have their big back and some good shooters around him. Could be a top 5 team.

Lausanne - Has a ton of talent but never live up to it. Two great guards in Wooten and Payne and a decent big. Could be the team to beat in this region.

St. George - 6'6 352 transfer from Manassas should FILL up the paint. Have a great guard who moved back from Fl and is a stud. Outside of Lausanne, this team will definately be a contender.

USJ - Lost their point. Still have Glover. Not sold on him being the beast everyone makes him out to be. Can jump out of the gym, rebound and finish around basket. Cannot shoot! Team will still be a top 5 team.

Not sure, but I think Rossville might have a decent big. Anyways, feel frree to add to my list.

Lausanne should be the team to beat from this region.

From what I'm hearing out of a couple of team camps, this would be a safe bet. Heard that this team is unbelievabley athletic and is led by two really good guards.

On a side note, a discussion with an asst. from a local college led me to believe that the hype around glover might not translate to a big time scholarship. Seems to think that coaches might shy away from him because of the fact he lacks a true position for college. Great athlete, hustles, jumps really good, can't shoot consistently enough to play 2 or 3 and is to small for the 4. Great kid I wish the best for him.

From what I'm hearing out of a couple of team camps, this would be a safe bet. Heard that this team is unbelievabley athletic and is led by two really good guards.

That will shoot them out of a game just as fast as they do in......

I think you are selling Glover a little short and putting a little more weight on a "assistant local college coach's" opinion than you should.

On a side note, a discussion with an asst. from a local college led me to believe that the hype around glover might not translate to a big time scholarship. Seems to think that coaches might shy away from him because of the fact he lacks a true position for college. Great athlete, hustles, jumps really good, can't shoot consistently enough to play 2 or 3 and is to small for the 4. Great kid I wish the best for him.

IknowDII

???? ....You join these boards 1 week ago at time of post. Where have you been the last 3 years. Lausanne has been a guard oriented team for years just like Bolivar. They are very good. USJ beat them last year in playoffs but it could have gone either way. No team in the West was in same time zone as ECS last year they were a truly talented team. I agree with most of the other teams you mentioned as far as talent. St. George's coach has always been their greatest asset as is true with ECS. As far as Glover he is a talented young man and will go far with the game. I suggest you listen to people who have watched him that write on these boards. As to local colleges i am sure they would love to have him but not at the 5 which is where he has been playing for years in HS.

West

Bishop Byrne - Always a scrappy team. Alot of hustle should be mid to lower level team.

ECS - Reigning state champs lost alot but have a good core returning. Two young bigs, 6'7 and 6'9 should help alot. Look for them to be a tough team but mid level range.

FACS - Came out of nowhere at the end of last year and made a deep run. Kind of a question mark on what will happen this year. Should be fun to watch them though.

Harding - Very well coached team. Hard nose defense. Has some good returning players that xcould make some noise in the region this year. Could be one of the top 5 teams.

Jackson Christian - Made a great run last year. Lost a guard but have their big back and some good shooters around him. Could be a top 5 team.

Lausanne - Has a ton of talent but never live up to it. Two great guards in Wooten and Payne and a decent big. Could be the team to beat in this region.

St. George - 6'6 352 transfer from Manassas should FILL up the paint. Have a great guard who moved back from Fl and is a stud. Outside of Lausanne, this team will definately be a contender.

USJ - Lost their point. Still have Glover. Not sold on him being the beast everyone makes him out to be. Can jump out of the gym, rebound and finish around basket. Cannot shoot! Team will still be a top 5 team.

Not sure, but I think Rossville might have a decent big. Anyways, feel frree to add to my list.

You may know DII, but you don't know John Glover. He can play! I'm curious as to how many times you've seen him play? Please don't say once or twice.... I've watched him over his past 3 years and he's gotten better and better each year. He CAN shoot the outside shot by the way. Your "local college coach" may be mad because Glover did not give him the time of day. He will atleast be a mid-major player.

Edited by GCPioneer

• 4 weeks later...

Glover is going to David Lipscomb.

Hats off to John Ross Glover and Lipscomb for securing his services. The State of TN has had several other committs this week from middle TN including Craig Bradshaw from CPA, and Jack Montaque from Brentwood who is going to Yale. All these kids have worked hard and will head for the Super Showcase and AAU Nationals in FL or Super 64 in Vegas for the final time of their High School Career.

Hats off to John Ross Glover and Lipscomb for securing his services. The State of TN has had several other committs this week from middle TN including Craig Bradshaw from CPA, and Jack Montaque from Brentwood who is going to Yale. All these kids have worked hard and will head for the Super Showcase and AAU Nationals in FL or Super 64 in Vegas for the final time of their High School Career.

Congrats to John Ross...Hard work always pays off!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

West

Bishop Byrne lost Brandon Strickland (who scored about 25 a game) but do bring back some scrappy, athletic players that work hard on the offensive glass and will win some games.

You didn't mention Catholic who also lost a couple of key players last year. They do bring back some major contributors to a team that upset ECS last year.

You also left out SBEC who came on very strong at the end of last season and just got a bad draw of having to face ECS in the 2nd round. They lost their best perimeter player but still have a good "big" in Paxton and some great athletes that are still in football right now.

ECS will still be very good. Those guys got a lot of experience last year in 2 or 3 minute spans with Coach Tippett rotating in waves. The tall freshman is much improved and they have another big guy that I do not think was on the team last year who is probably their best player.

FACS did graduate a few players from last year, including Robbins, who was their best player. I have heard they "found" a 6'10" freshman but haven't seen him play. They bring back a couple of very good sophomores and the monster Smith who improved alot over the summer.

I think you are dead-on about Harding. Bring back some good players and are always well-coached (like most teams in this division). They could definitely compete for the Region title.

Lausanne is always a wild card, but this year they are probably the favorite to win the division. They are loaded with talent but I did hear that the "big" is no longer at the school. Wooten and Payne can play.

On the other side:

Rossville lost Ambeau but bring back the rest of their team. Should have some experience so it will be interesting to see how they handle the loss of such a key player. I'm not sure the "big" for Rossville that you were talking about unless you mean Auston White, who is probably more of a wing. You may be talking about Moody from TRA or Moffatt from FA.

Tipton-Rosemark brings back a plethera of experienced players in Seniors Moody, Sansom, Barnes, and Alexander. They do have to replace their big kid from last year and have a new coach.

Fayette Academy still has Moffatt, along with a number of good experienced players in Miller, Shemwell, and the sophomore Bowling. They showed alot of improvement last year and look to build on that.

USJ will have Mr. Basketball John Ross Glover but did lose Miller. Look for Winslow to have a big season from the perimeter when people double down on Glover.

JCS lost just about every key contributor from the run to state a year ago. Rumor has it that Bowles and Mayberry are not going to play this season either. Regardless, Coach Johnson has a solid program and always finds a way to put a good team on the floor.

St. George's may be the favorite to win the entire region. They did lose a great player in Cooper Green but also bring in the big kid from Manassas that you mentioned, and still have Alex Bran (the kid from FL that you mentioned) and Muhvihill, who played a key part in the state title run two years ago.

Edited by buschman