Does Martavious Newby stay at BTW

yankees8589

If Newby stays is there a team in Single A that can hang with BTW? Maybe Lake County but i'm not sure. BTW move to Single A makes it tough for everybody else, when you have a player the caliber of Newby at the single A level it makes it really tough on the competition not to mention his supporting cast. The million dollar question is does the kid stay at BTW. Any Memphis folks have any insight on this? I know he is considering a change of scenery but now sure how serious.

I know Tyler from Lake County has been on a tear all spring summer on the AAU circuit at some good events. Tyler can play in the OVC I think, but Newby is a different level player.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Newby stays is there a team in Single A that can hang with BTW? Maybe Lake County but i'm not sure. BTW move to Single A makes it tough for everybody else, when you have a player the caliber of Newby at the single A level it makes it really tough on the competition not to mention his supporting cast. The million dollar question is does the kid stay at BTW. Any Memphis folks have any insight on this? I know he is considering a change of scenery but now sure how serious.

I know Tyler from Lake County has been on a tear all spring summer on the AAU circuit at some good events. Tyler can play in the OVC I think, but Newby is a different level player.

I've kinda been wondering about BTW dropping and you'd probably know more than anyone about what does he have around him.No doubt with him being a Mr.Basketball candidate in Double A,he is the real deal.What kind of talent does he have around him.I hadn't noticed before but I did see Rick Bolus had Newby very high.But he also had Tyler just out of the top 24 as a sleeper.Then in the next 30 he had Ricky Boyd and Devon Jones.So that gives Lake Co 3 players in the top 50.Then I noticed Swift wasn't in the rankings probably because he didn't get back to Lake Co until the tournaments started.Ricky Boyd gets a lot of hustle and blue collar or what some would call garbage baskets.Devon Joes is just a steady ball player.Anyone from Lake Co would tell people that Swift is better than either Boyd or Devon Jones.Some would have him above Tyler,depending on what the neeed is.But no doubt Tyler in the spark that makes the engine run.But if Ricky Boyd and Devon Jones are in the top 50 then Lake Co definitely has 4,just they don't have Swift on the radar as yet.And the little freshman,Zay Coleman is as good a ball handler and as fast as anyone in Single A.Like you said.Lake Co may or may not be capable.But Lake Co has been scrimmaging much bigger schools in Liberty,Southside and Covington etc. so maybe they'll have the talent to hang with BTW.Maybe not.Newby may be in a league of his own but not too many better than Derek Swift.He's still learning the system so I believe during the year,going to be very tough.

No way Btw beats Lc without Newby. Newby dominated aa all last year and is on tear this summer. Newby playing single a will be a whole new monster! Bolivar and expert Coach Rudesil keep Btw out of state tourney last year with a great game plan....with that said I expect Lc to repeat. Rafael Tyler, Boyd, and light skinned lengthy forward are great players

No way Btw beats Lc without Newby. Newby dominated aa all last year and is on tear this summer. Newby playing single a will be a whole new monster! Bolivar and expert Coach Rudesil keep Btw out of state tourney last year with a great game plan....with that said I expect Lc to repeat. Rafael Tyler, Boyd, and light skinned lengthy forward are great players

The light skin kid is Derek Swift,the player that just moved back to Lake Co about a couple weeks or so before the tournaments started.Lake Co held him out of the district and regional tournaments and didn't get a ruling by the TSSAA until the day of the sub-state game against Westwood.Swift and Tyler are the best two players on the team.I personally believe it's a toss up between Ricky Boyd and Devon Jones as both are listed in the Bolus rankings.Also,Lake Co has Caleb Bledsoe,white hid about 6'4 coming off the bench that actually has a very good shot.He started several games for Coach Whitby and I was told by Coach Whitby many times that he thought Bledsoe would be the best player on the team when Bledsoe was a freshman and sophomore.Maybe he'll really come on this year.Believe he was the player that made a big 3 pointer against Humboldt that helped propel Lake Co to the championship in the region.Plus the little fresman,Zay Coleman is a very good player as well.

Edited by mrbigster

I know he has flirted with a certin school in orange mound in the past but he stays BTW is one of the favorites in class a if not they will not beat lake co who were one of the most athletic teams I saw last season

Humboldt will also be very talented in our district.The Vikings lost Quan Cambell but return Bryson,about 6'4 270 lbs or close.,have the best pure shooter in the district in Brooks and know they return at least 1 other starter.Plus their middle school was loaded and went undefeated a couple years ago so the Vikings will be one of the top teams.Not sure about Union City this year .South Fulton had a pretty good young talented team.Always tough playing against the Memphis teams in the sub-state.

Newby would just dominate in Single A. In Single A you can ride a player like Newby all the way because the competition and type of athletes/players you have to face in post season is not elite and advanced in terms of skill and ability, not knocking Single A either. Winning it all is Single A is a TREMENDOUS accomplishment and is just as big and important for those schools as AA and AAA, just as it should be. Every now and then, actually rarely when you figure how many teams as a whole and historically, you have a legit High Major prospect/player of Newby's caliber in Single A and when you do those players just dominate because it's so easy for them. Newby is just a FREAK and more than just an athlete, this kid is a straight HIGH LEVEL BALLER who can step on the court and play and compete at a HIGH LEVEL against anybody anywhere in the country no matter how many stars they have next to they're name. My point is you can literally win it all in Single A with a one man show like Newby because really the only thing to even the playing field is if he get's in early foul trouble....and then it's even just for maybe a few teams, teams of the caliber of Lake County are few and far between in Single A. In fact, and I know some will not agree , BTW without Newby would hammer 90% of the teams in Singe A because the level of talent just isn't there for the most part.

Who knows? BTW could go down in post season even with Newby. I do know one thing for sure though, I can guarantee ain't no Single A team want to play BTW in substate on the road. You better have some way above average MENTALLY TOUGH players and ENOUGH of them because it can be intimidating, especially for a Single A team.

Yankee I agree with you on all points and I'm a memphis guy so when I said that lake. Co would beat them with out him I was being real but with him I don't see any one in A touching BTW. And it would not totally because they return Zarmarlous Griffin who was all shelby metro last season also Ty Moore who played well off the Bench. And a freshman coming in from Ridgeway Middle who was mvp of the middle school state tournament. Also About bolus rankings I put no stock in them because with Jarnell Stokes gone to Oak Hill Newby is now the #1 senior in the state hands down

Yankee I agree with you on all points and I'm a memphis guy so when I said that lake. Co would beat them with out him I was being real but with him I don't see any one in A touching BTW. And it would not totally because they return Zarmarlous Griffin who was all shelby metro last season also Ty Moore who played well off the Bench. And a freshman coming in from Ridgeway Middle who was mvp of the middle school state tournament. Also About bolus rankings I put no stock in them because with Jarnell Stokes gone to Oak Hill Newby is now the #1 senior in the state hands down

Did BTW get Khalil Spencer??

Did BTW get Khalil Spencer??