Jefferson County @ Tennessee High

THSVikings2004

So let me understand this... JC4life, you are suggesting Jeff Co. schedule harder OOC games so that they are "battle tested?" I am not sure if you remember, but either last year or two years ago, they had (as previously mentioned) Greeneville and Bearden on their OOC schedule and lost both. That year they went 5-5 (I think) and ended up missing the playoffs after a loss to William Blount, Mo West, and Sevier Co. Now it would seem to me that the coaches understood that they have no control over the conference schedule and they can control the out of conference schedule. They missed the playoffs by 1 game. So logic should be clear in selecting weaker opponents to minimize the risk of missing... So by your logic, you are saying that you would rather play good, play-off capable teams in the regular season and risk missing the post season? Or would you rather make the play-offs and have a chance at a somewhat decent seed and at least give your team a chance to fight?

5-5 looks a lot worse than 8-3 or 9-3. Truth.

Even though the IMAC cannot claim the depth of some of the knoxville, nashville, or memphis conferences, that is to be expected. Morristown West is looking very good this year. Sevier Co. is routinely good, Cocke Co. is definitely on their way up from the cellar, Seymour has never been overwhelmingly good, but they play in a lot of hard fought games, Cherokee is up to respectability again. Morristown East and South Doyle aren't very good this year, but that's the game... not every school can be good, not every conference can be a power conference. Coming from the aforementioned Farragut, Catholic, Bearden, Maryville...etc. district, I know how hard it was to win, not in just football, but every single sport. But for a team with the post season as a hit or miss thing for the past 5+ years, the scheduling makes perfect sense. Now if you support Jeff Co, quit dissing the program. You and your band of "hatriots" or whatever the "real" jeff co. faithful like to call them, are a cancer to a program that is trying to come out of the ashes.

Therein lies the rub. 8-3 looks a lot better than 5-5 even though your team might not actually be better.

One of the things that has to happen for this thing to get turned around is a change in the attitude and culture surround the JC program. For entirely too long this program, and from what I`m seeing here fans, have accepted losing, have accepted the status quo, have accepted the way things are, have accepted that simply trying to make the playoffs is enough. The kind of attitude I see here is EXACTLY the thing that needs to be purged from this program. If you don't expect better you will never get better. That's actually one of the things I like best about Coach Cobble, he's not content with the status quo. Changing the attitude is the first step, and it is an important one.

I don't know what program you follow or root for but it is obviously not Jeff County. The fact that you don't know that JC made the playoffs last year is evidence enough for me that you don't know what you're talking about. The fact that no one else called you out on it tells me all I need to know as well. The playoff formula allows JC to beat Sevier County and automatically make the playoffs since they are the only other 6A program in the conference (which is why a lot of 6A schools who play in better conferences hate the current playoff system).

If you are asking me if I would rather have a hollow 8 wins or a meaningful 5 win I`ll take the 5 wins. If you can't compete with and beat quality 5A teams you don't deserve to make the playoffs, simply as that. Window dressing and gaming the the system in an attempt to make yourself look better than you actually are is not something I am in favor of. It doesn't actually help the program like you and some others believe. Playing a cupcake schedule does not allow you to accurate judge you team or your program. There is no measuring stick for where you are and how far you need to go. Making the playoffs by default and then getting rocked in the first round is not something JC should aspire to. So long as that is the goal and the expectation that is exactly what JC will achieve.

This idea that you can get better by playing worse team is disgusting. We use to break huddles with "Pride." Where the h*** is the pride in the JC football program? I certainly don't see it expressed here. Folks are talking about programs like Oak Ridge, DB, Maryville as though they are greek gods from on high. These are programs that should be viewed as peers. We should not be afraid of going toe to toe with a team because they may beat us, even if it is an absurd number of times like DB has beaten us in a row. I will repeat myself, unless you play quality opponents you have NO WAY of measuring yourself.

This "woe is me" attitude has to go. The talent pool in Jefferson County didn't suddenly dry. There aren't worse athletes in the county than there were from the early 2000s back. We've gone the way of South Doyle (and previously Farragut), having better athletes walking the halls and playing other sports than are actually on the football team. The coach that is able to harness all or most of talent in Jefferson County will produce a team in the same vein as the teams that JC use to produce. Hopefully Coach Cobble is the guy to do that. I can tell you this though, unless there is an attitude change, unless expectations change, the product on the field won't change. And no amount of pounding weak OOC teams and even weaker conference teams will change what happens when it matters.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4Life you talk about Jefferson Co like they are somehow State Contenders every year when in fact there has only been a couple of seasons in the past decade that they have had a decent record. You actually finished 50% or less half of those 10 years. Other 6A teams out of your conference probably won't waist their time scheduling Jeff County for that reason. Why don't you wait till your team at least wins the majority of the (what you consider) WEAK games on their schedule before you start cryin to play the heavy hitters like DB and Oakridge. :thumb:

You're really going to lecture me on Jeff County football?

Really???

You're really going to lecture me on Jeff County football?

Really???

No... not a lecture, just tryin to refresh your memory of how your team has performed in the last several years because you must of forgot. That old saying you improve your program by playing the BEST is BS. If your team is not top terr caliber at the time all you do is put L's on your schedule, and when you have more L's on your schedule than W's... games are not the only thing your program loses. ;)

No... not a lecture, just tryin to refresh your memory of how your team has performed in the last several years because you must of forgot. That old saying you improve your program by playing the BEST is BS. If your team is not top terr caliber at the time all you do is put L's on your schedule, and when you have more L's on your schedule than W's... games are not the only thing your program loses. ;)

If you had your way my team would remain in the position that its in. If you don't expect better performance you won't get it.

If you had your way my team would remain in the position that its in. If you don't expect better performance you won't get it.

I dare say that there aren't many programs that don't EXPECT to get better, but lets face it.... it's never a good idea to bring a knife to a gun fight; which is the equivalent of putting a Maryville, Oakridge, or DB on your schedule at this time. I would wait till your squad has jumped the bar were it's at before I would place it way over their heads. No disrespect meant because you have mine after last Friday. I'm just sayin....

all this talking is a mute point. This team can be one of the better teams in the area. They will get respect based on their record at the end of the year going into the playoffs. If they are good enough to make it. All the other stuff is mute because Maryville, DB and others would not schedule us for the reasons that jc4life states is a reason for us to schedule up. YOU see, Jc would be a step backwards for them. They are looking for tough comp to prepare them . We must get a few good years behind us b-4 they would consider JC worthy comp. Lets get a few 8-2 or better behind us and then ask to be put back in the discussion! I

all this talking is a mute point. This team can be one of the better teams in the area. They will get respect based on their record at the end of the year going into the playoffs. If they are good enough to make it. All the other stuff is mute because Maryville, DB and others would not schedule us for the reasons that jc4life states is a reason for us to schedule up. YOU see, Jc would be a step backwards for them. They are looking for tough comp to prepare them . We must get a few good years behind us b-4 they would consider JC worthy comp. Lets get a few 8-2 or better behind us and then ask to be put back in the discussion! I

Really, all this talk about putting Maryville, DB, and Oak Ridge on the schedule.. Why dont all you Jeff County fans wake up and worry about who is on the schedule for this year!! Last time i checked, there is an old rivalry game in 2 days with Sevier County and none of you patriot fans are even talking about this game. It is a big game in respect to where the state of your program is at..I anticipate this game to be a very good game and it doesnt look like the patriot fans have a clue who you are playing this week!! This could be the reason your program has been in such bad shape, support your team and quit worrying about things you cant control!!!!!!! GO BEARS

Really, all this talk about putting Maryville, DB, and Oak Ridge on the schedule.. Why dont all you Jeff County fans wake up and worry about who is on the schedule for this year!! Last time i checked, there is an old rivalry game in 2 days with Sevier County and none of you patriot fans are even talking about this game. It is a big game in respect to where the state of your program is at..I anticipate this game to be a very good game and it doesnt look like the patriot fans have a clue who you are playing this week!! This could be the reason your program has been in such bad shape, support your team and quit worrying about things you cant control!!!!!!! GO BEARS

I think most JC fans know who we are playing. We are taking it as seriously as we did last year. We filled the stands at TH, I expect the same this Friday. See you there

What,s up Cap. It,s been awhile my man. Got the opportunity to see the Jeff Co. Game. Come on man, one step up and two steps back. Same old story, same old line. What happened to all of your boys. Looks like they have betrayed you on here!! However, you pose a good fight. Checking out the Wisconsin game. What happened to the guy from south, the flag guys, Is he still in the mix. All I'm hearing is excuses my man. Looks like reality has set in. You, from a conference perspective, added a couple of average teams. You maintained your lollipop non conference games. Where do you go from here? You have a brand new shinny coach. Shinny as a penny. However, same old story same old line. What happened to that other coach. Hope to make it to at least one more. If you remember, I,m a hill topper now. No speed my man.. You cannot win big without speed!!!! Some guy was telling me THS had several guys at 4.4. AGAIN. Also that they had one guy that was sub 4.0. AGAIN. Poor tackling, fundamentally unsound. Coaches watching the game but not seeing it......same old story some old lines??????????