Scores

ChattanoogaCannon

This raises a good point..How valid is a "Career Goal Total" if you are a 5 year starter (assume 8th grader playing up)...Did the count actually start her true Freshman Year ?

And realistically, does this stat really mean anything seriously ? The disparity in team schedule strength and coaching philosophies regarding score maintenance seems to make this stat nothing more than number...Kudos to the players for likely being skilled players, but I would say bragging about almost 200 goals is more a reflection on the poor competition, versus player skill...

D

Well this is coach/dad. guess I have to jump in and do some defending. No, the count began 8th grade because our high school/middle school are one building. She had 28 that year, and while 10 A/AA doesnt field the perennial state teams, there are some good programs (Harpeth, White House, Mongomery Central, Sycamore, Clarksville Academy, etc. that are out there. Second no one is bragging, its an accomplishment, because every one comes in knowing what they have to do to beat us.. stop her. East's team is composed of players that have 2-4 years of playing experience period (most all by me) so you see what the 10 behind her have experience wise. That what you get when you have a small school of less than 500 student body in a country setting, dominated by softball and girls basketball. 95Gsoccer's comment is correct also. But.. Ive been around this long enough to know she could be a starter on these perennial teams, the big numbers wouldnt be there, but she would fit right in. Lastly, her being my daughter means nada. She is a player that was exposed to soccer at a young age, rec, club, private lessons and me spending countless hours of time training her, pushing her. It would be a great thing to see statewide more young ladies getting involved everywhere with proper training.

There are a world of coaches like myself who have to bring on 1st year players and groom them quickly to even be on the field. So, there is victory and a accomplishment in every positive thing achieved plus the experience and how each child touches your life and you touch theirs. Does the stat mean anything? Sure does to me, my school, hopefully my District, and especially every time I see her break out of the "Brenna Sandwich" a term I use for how teams defend her, and net one. Numbers should say enough. Peace.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNT- First of all, welcome to CoachT...Love having real coach's put in their two cents worth, and add some perspective to the boards...I certainly don't consider your daughter's accomplishment trivial to her, but it has to have some context, and in fairness to the others mentioned, she did have a 28 goal advantage playing a 5th year, so perhaps an astericks on the number?

I will pose a scenario to you as a coach, just for discussion....It is the last game of the regular season, statistically out contention for any post season games, her senior year, you are winning 10-0, she is just 4 goals short of 200...do you keep her in ?

95G- I am sure some would argue, but realistically, I don't see any high division college coach even considering going to rural Tennessee to see a possible player, play in a high school game...club ball would be the only option for them, in my opinion, to even be considered...

D

TNT- First of all, welcome to CoachT...Love having real coach's put in their two cents worth, and add some perspective to the boards...I certainly don't consider your daughter's accomplishment trivial to her, but it has to have some context, and in fairness to the others mentioned, she did have a 28 goal advantage playing a 5th year, so perhaps an astericks on the number?

I will pose a scenario to you as a coach, just for discussion....It is the last game of the regular season, statistically out contention for any post season games, her senior year, you are winning 10-0, she is just 4 goals short of 200...do you keep her in ?

95G- I am sure some would argue, but realistically, I don't see any high division college coach even considering going to rural Tennessee to see a possible player, play in a high school game...club ball would be the only option for them, in my opinion, to even be considered...

D

If we were winning 10-0 she would already be out, or playing a different position so future players that will have to carry the torch are getting minutes at that position. I told her as the years went by and got closer to a record possibilty that I wouldnt do anything different to "help" her. If she wanted it she needed to go for it. As far as the asterisk you make this sound like the Maris/Ruth home run record. Maris had more games, and TSSAA allows 8th grade participation in cases like mine, so why shouldnt it be valid? Lets say Somewhere down the road and 8th grader begins a charge and bests that mark.. kudos to her. Records are made to be broken. She just loves to play more than anything and to see her happy doing what she loves is special to me. Cant help it, off the field Im a proud dad.

If we were winning 10-0 she would already be out, or playing a different position so future players that will have to carry the torch are getting minutes at that position. I told her as the years went by and got closer to a record possibilty that I wouldnt do anything different to "help" her. If she wanted it she needed to go for it. As far as the asterisk you make this sound like the Maris/Ruth home run record. Maris had more games, and TSSAA allows 8th grade participation in cases like mine, so why shouldnt it be valid? Lets say Somewhere down the road and 8th grader begins a charge and bests that mark.. kudos to her. Records are made to be broken. She just loves to play more than anything and to see her happy doing what she loves is special to me. Cant help it, off the field Im a proud dad.

I have no problem counting the 8th graders stats. If a 14 years old girl can score goals playing against 18 years old, that sounds fair.Now if a player scores more than 3 goals in a non competitive game, that's when I have problem with the numbers.

Based on a 5 year career, with an average of 16 games per season, it averages to 2.5 goals a game (which in my mind, isn't over the top by any means). Add to which, in a small rural area, on a team with small numbers and limited soccer experience, she is the "go to" girl to score the goals. They have only had 2 games with double digits with most games being a 3 to 4 goal match.

All to say this...

This seems to be a young lady who loves the game of soccer. You can argue about the "validity" of her records all you want, but remember that this is a girl who has never gotten on the boards to brag. A fan was proud of her accomplishment (which should be applauded) and it ended up starting a firestorm by the board vets (although at this point in the boards, I am excited for most ANY topic to get some heat!).

Coach Evilcizer is in a tough place being a coach AND a father, and I apologize that you had to come on the board to defend your daughter. You have to understand that we are STARVING for topics, and this was ripe "fodder" (I am surprised that Canes was as tame as he was, to be honest!).

Good luck in this season!

Let me amend an earlier statement: I've said for years on here that such stats are meaningless. They are not to the player or the parents. To reach that number, she must also be good. Kudos to her and certainly no personal disrespect was intended, though it no doubt reads that way.

However, like high school batting averages in Tennessee, it has to be considered with heavy, and I mean heavy, context.

I wish her the best of luck and hope she keeps playing for years to come.

District 11-AAA Scores - 9/24/2011

(14-0-0) Franklin.....10-0 win... vs Hillsboro

(9-4-1) Independence.. 1-0 win... vs Page

(8-3-3) Centennial.... 0-1 loss.. vs Ravenwood

(5-4-0) Ravenwood..... 1-0 win... vs Centennial

(4-3-0) Brentwood..... 5-1 win... vs Ensworth

(0-5-0) Hillsboro.....0-10 loss.. vs Franklin

Edited by 95GSoccer

CCS 1

ND 0

CCS wins on a PK in the 46th minute. Chattanoogan reported as a take down from behind, but defender was between attacker and the goal and no card was issued. A take down from behind is an automatic card. It was a 50-50 ball. Regardless, CCS deserved win as they played a great game. I think this is the first CCS win over ND in 6 years.

Silverdale 7

Polk County 1

Hixson 2

Sweetwater 2

Grace 3

McMinn Central 2

Soddy-Daisy 1

Cleveland 0