Running Up The Score 2011

CHAMPDDS

.I think that some older CoachTers will remember the times that Notre Dame was consider the 'thugs' on the field...

D

Was? :D

Just kidding! I actually really enjoyed the last match ups between CAK and ND. Hard fought but not dirty. Hopefully we will get another rematch this season!

Champs, I was think I have a question for our poll... I'll try it out and see how it works.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we are off and running, looks like Grace has jumped out early and posted a double digit win over Polk County:

GRACE 14

POLK COUNTY 0

D

Before you start throwing Grace under the bus, make sure you have the proper perspective. I was at the game and it was 7-0 before you could get a coke from the concession stand. Over half of the goals were scored by freshman and/or predominantly defensive players who were substituted before half-time. Polk is a first year program and it was the first game of the season. Their keeper actually played pretty well but she didn't get much help. IMHO, it would have been more disrespectful to not score and play keep away than to put the second and third string in and let them play. It may have been tough to swallow for Polk but the Grace girls were very respectful and tried to encourage the Polk girls after the game (just like they did for Tyner last year)...they can relate since that is what Grace's program looked like when the Seniors were Freshman.

Trust me there were no messages trying to be sent or scores being settled. After all, there's no history between these two teams! Grace is just a very good team this year (Now 3-0 after a 4-0 shutout of Hixson and a 9-0 shutout of Sequoyah tonight...still not totally tested but I believe they will surprise some folks this year)and Polk is just getting started.

No drama here...these are not the droids you're looking for...move along.

Before you start throwing Grace under the bus, make sure you have the proper perspective. I was at the game and it was 7-0 before you could get a coke from the concession stand. Over half of the goals were scored by freshman and/or predominantly defensive players who were substituted before half-time. Polk is a first year program and it was the first game of the season. Their keeper actually played pretty well but she didn't get much help. IMHO, it would have been more disrespectful to not score and play keep away than to put the second and third string in and let them play. It may have been tough to swallow for Polk but the Grace girls were very respectful and tried to encourage the Polk girls after the game (just like they did for Tyner last year)...they can relate since that is what Grace's program looked like when the Seniors were Freshman.

Trust me there were no messages trying to be sent or scores being settled. After all, there's no history between these two teams! Grace is just a very good team this year (Now 3-0 after a 4-0 shutout of Hixson and a 9-0 shutout of Sequoyah tonight...still not totally tested but I believe they will surprise some folks this year)and Polk is just getting started.

No drama here...these are not the droids you're looking for...move along.

Regardless of the amount of SPIN you put on it, at the final whistle the score goes in the book as disrespectful,

Yes, it is all a matter of opinion. personally, I find no joy in backing up over a deer that I have hit in the road and running it over again, and again,and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. My point is yours. The game was over at 3-0. Everyone of the field knew it. From that point, there wasn't a contest. I realize you didn't schedule it and had no control over that., Control what you can. We taught our daughter that very early, She put the ball OVER the cross bar every time.

Regardless of the amount of SPIN you put on it, at the final whistle the score goes in the book as disrespectful,

Yes, it is all a matter of opinion. personally, I find no joy in backing up over a deer that I have hit in the road and running it over again, and again,and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. My point is yours. The game was over at 3-0. Everyone of the field knew it. From that point, there wasn't a contest. I realize you didn't schedule it and had no control over that., Control what you can. We taught our daughter that very early, She put the ball OVER the cross bar every time.

I see both sides of this argument and we are just repeating things said over the last several years. I do think double digits is over the top and I know that you can still improve your team by working on things that you don't do particularly well against a team other than yourself. I don't know how many times I get frustrated when our reserves know exactly what we are trying to work on and take it away because they know it is coming. Games like these are a great opportunity to see if your team can strengthen a weakness that can create opportunities without having to put the ball in the net. I'm with G on restrictions that don't insult the other team, but make you work on things you may need in a tougher match. Practice time gets limited during the season so these matches are opportunities to work on that stuff without holding players on the practice pitch longer.

I do agree that you don't want to discourage players who don't play as often from chances to score. But you can certainly make those players stronger by teaching them new ways to create and score.

It's been mentioned and certainly true that opinions on this will always be different.

I see both sides of this argument and we are just repeating things said over the last several years. I do think double digits is over the top and I know that you can still improve your team by working on things that you don't do particularly well against a team other than yourself. I don't know how many times I get frustrated when our reserves know exactly what we are trying to work on and take it away because they know it is coming. Games like these are a great opportunity to see if your team can strengthen a weakness that can create opportunities without having to put the ball in the net. I'm with G on restrictions that don't insult the other team, but make you work on things you may need in a tougher match. Practice time gets limited during the season so these matches are opportunities to work on that stuff without holding players on the practice pitch longer.

I do agree that you don't want to discourage players who don't play as often from chances to score. But you can certainly make those players stronger by teaching them new ways to create and score.

It's been mentioned and certainly true that opinions on this will always be different.

The last squad I saw would take the ball to the goal and deliver a pass to keeper, turn and sprint to the half line and set up again for the punt. The Game ended in a 4-0 result. Both teams got a workout, both teams benefited, What a team gets out of a 16-0 win must be similar to a masochist with a magnifying glass frying ants.,,,I guess

As I stated before...most of the goals were scored by girls who were young or not used to scoring and didn't know any better...first game out of the shoot...not exactly something you focus on in summer camp (how NOT to run up the score) and kind of presumptuous if you did. Regardless, as someone who is obviously used to your team being vastly superior, thanks for the lesson on how to be gracious. ;)

The last squad I saw would take the ball to the goal and deliver a pass to keeper, turn and sprint to the half line and set up again for the punt. The Game ended in a 4-0 result. Both teams got a workout, both teams benefited, What a team gets out of a 16-0 win must be similar to a masochist with a magnifying glass frying ants.,,,I guess

So you're a Miami Hurricanes fan?...with all due respect, do you not see the irony in that??

not exactly something you focus on in summer camp (how NOT to run up the score)

Actually, I believe it is a scenario that you need to go over. There must be a plan in place BEFORE you get into the situation. All of my teams knew the signals for the restrictions (simple number signals that they would relay across the field without having to yell "you must score with your left foot!"). At halftime, we would review the things we were focusing on. And it isn't being presumptuous. It's having a plan in CASE you get in that position. If you score 3 goals in 5 minutes, you need to sub and put limits. Otherwise it gets real ugly real soon.

And Eagleeye, I am not trying to say your team did anything wrong. I understand that some games get out of hand. But if there are situations where you have multiple games with double digit results, I believe something needs to be done.

And don't let Canes get under your skin. He likes to "stoke the fires" of the conversation. You are new to the boards, so you probably didn't know. He's mostly harmless, but likes to make noise. (sorry my friend, but it is true!) :roflol:

Kinda glad we finally have some chatter on the boards. I know it's an old subject and my view on it is entirely different than when I started Coaching all those years ago. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of us have been on both sides of these scores when building our programs, so I hope everyone understands there is no disrespect meant; just a difference in opinions. These will change over time. Glad to see some new posters on the boards!

Good Luck to all the rest of the way.

EagleEye777

* I would hope that most girls playing varsity soccer in high school have had some exposure to soccer outside of High School Soccer. This is something you teach your children as a parent. Taking advantage of a situation when the advantage is clearly in your favor and gloating?

* Re the vastly superior, not to sure about that. Most of the players in West Tennessee play some sort of organized soccer and this is something that spills over from club.l The school they represent may have nothing to do with their experience.

* Re the team I watched execute, it has been several and thus far it seems to be the most positive way to handle a mismatched opponent. No one likes to see it, No one wants to see if get ugly. Positives should result but it doesn't serve any positive purpose by double-digit on the scoreboard.

Big G

* One or two posts and it seemed to kick start the boards. Like squirting gas in carburetor.

Eagle...one more thing. An alumni actually. And although football seems to have it's own set of unwritten rules, I wouldn't consider Miami guilty of running up scores. Winning un-winnable games, yes. If you ever have the time to watch the 30 on 30 segment on Miami, you may be surprised how this all developed. They saw themselves as the underdogs every game.

AKula....will you be coming our way for RIvals?

Edited by Canesoverhere