South vs Gate City

crawdad

They win this one and more if:

1. Play the QB in the QB position.

2. Play the receivers in the receiver positions.

3. Have the best available player (with a backup ready) in each position.

4. Limit the number of players playing both ways.

5. Limit the offense to 15-20 real football plays.

6. Don't try to make all-staters out of 1 or 2 players at the expense of the team.

7. Limit all outside influences on coaching decisions.

8. Let it be widely known that it is perfectly legal to use your arms while tackling.

I place absolutely no blame or responsibility on the players for any of the above and can only hope DB knocked some sense in those that are responsible.

On with the fishing trip.

#2. Play the receivers in the receiver positions.

Counterpoint: I don't have a clue where you're going with this. I haven't seen any receivers playing other positions.

2 kids do interchange between the RB and WR positions in the pistol formation. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you to advantage of being able to go no huddle, signal plays in, and change formations with the same players on the field to create mismatches.

Which leads me again to question why all the suggestions about the offense when the D seems to be the bigger problem? The offense put up 44 and 530 yds at Enka and presented problems for the Tribe in the 1st half with 14 points and 160 yds in the 1st 3 series. Take away the turnovers,( and they're on the kids btw, even if you wanna blame coaches), and the offense looks pretty good.

I personally would like to see #32 and #10 in the pistol some to give a little more power to the running game. I wouldn't mind some slip screens to the wide outs so #30 can use his speed, and a little vertical passing which we have done little to none of outside of a trick play at Enka. I'll be careful here though. Our coaches may read Coach T and I would hate for you to label me one of their outside influences. Boy, I can't wait to get to that bullet point!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On with the fishing trip.

#2. Play the receivers in the receiver positions.

Counterpoint: I don't have a clue where you're going with this. I haven't seen any receivers playing other positions.

2 kids do interchange between the RB and WR positions in the pistol formation. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you to advantage of being able to go no huddle, signal plays in, and change formations with the same players on the field to create mismatches.

Which leads me again to question why all the suggestions about the offense when the D seems to be the bigger problem? The offense put up 44 and 530 yds at Enka and presented problems for the Tribe in the 1st half with 14 points and 160 yds in the 1st 3 series. Take away the turnovers,( and they're on the kids btw, even if you wanna blame coaches), and the offense looks pretty good.

I personally would like to see #32 and #10 in the pistol some to give a little more power to the running game. I wouldn't mind some slip screens to the wide outs so #30 can use his speed, and a little vertical passing which we have done little to none of outside of a trick play at Enka. I'll be careful here though. Our coaches may read Coach T and I would hate for you to label me one of their outside influences. Boy, I can't wait to get to that bullet point!

Oh yeah, the offense was great. 1 play, 80 yards, great as it was does not make a great offensive night. I will not start blaming the players or name names on here and I will not blame them for what is ultimately coaching decisions and mistakes, many of which started in the spring. I can see you will stand behind the coaching to the bitter end no matter what. That is your right, of course, but where does the buck stop. 0-2. Over 100 points scored on South in 2 games. 50 point embarassment at DB. You can spin it and sugar coat the crap out of it, it is still crap. Sorry, but I expect more and I will not blame the players.

I'll wade in on this just a bit....jilts bullet points numbers 3,4 and 6 are not really possible. In all fairness, when you don't have 22 athletes that are capable of competing at the level of competition that you are playing, then you have to play the ones that you have both ways as long as possible. If you only have two or three that are physically capable of being playmakers, you best get the ball to them as often as possible.

Unfortunately for south, that is the case that they have. You can put kids out there and hand other kids the ball, but all the coaching in the world ain't gonna make them faster or strong and athletic enough to make plays. Mommys and Daddy's like to fuss at the coach for not playing junior....I can assure you that if junior could make a play, he would be out there. Those coaches are doing the best they can with what they got. Why do you think Stacy left??? He went to a place with a more athletic gene pool. That's the only way to compete! If it was just coaching harder and smarter, he would have stayed right where he was to do it. Everybody on this board knows his heart is all reb! But, you can only coach what is there.

You got great coaches. They love the program and they know what they are doing.

Not possible?

I never said you have to have 22. I said you need to limit two way play. While it is probably too late for the necessary development, do you really need your starting QB playing LB, for instance. You can't tell me out of the large pool of players available, there is not one or two players capable of filling that position adequately enough.

Carter left because of the money, the location, the prestige and the uncertainty of South's future. I don't believe the "gene pool" had anything to do with it.

Not possible?

I never said you have to have 22. I said you need to limit two way play. While it is probably too late for the necessary development, do you really need your starting QB playing LB, for instance. You can't tell me out of the large pool of players available, there is not one or two players capable of filling that position adequately enough.

Carter left because of the money, the location, the prestige and the uncertainty of South's future. I don't believe the "gene pool" had anything to do with it.

Timeout from the fishing trip.

I sense your frustration and I share in it as a devoted Rebel fan who has followed the program since its inception. I'm glad you post on the T and voice your opinions and I chuckle when you go after Waco. I also am glad you protect the kids by saying you don't blame the kids. Unfortunately you seem to hold the coaches totally responsible for the outcomes of the games as many casual fans do. Alluding to your point above about #16 playing QB and LB. Jeremy Jenkins won more games in the last 2 years than any program in our conference other than the mighty Dobyns-Bennett. He 2 platooned his QBs and one of them, Kevin Connell, played both ways, excelling at the DE position. Boone is a much larger school than South BTW, they shouldn't have to do that. Our # 16 is a similar player to Connell.

Maybe as the season plays out, more of these "depth" players you think are being slighted by the coaching staff will be worked into the mix. Speed, strength, and agility aren't developed in 10 days of spring practice. I believe we have some who will play more as the season progresses.

Let me ask you one fair question to understand where you're coming from. You have said more than once replying to me, "I wouldn't want to coach". Well why not? Have you ever coached a team in a competitive league?

I can see the obsession lives on.

Last five South and Dones:

41-0

28-24

13-10 <----2006

20-17

26-19

The obsession lives within you pal. All I have to say is 44-0 and I have you spending all your time researching the history of DB football while Crawdad is eating your lunch. Now thats true obsession right there. 44-0

The obsession lives within you pal. All I have to say is 44-0 and I have you spending all your time researching the history of DB football while Crawdad is eating your lunch. Now thats true obsession right there. 44-0

At least Crawdad lives on the right side of town and has a little class.

1 click for DB's playoff scores. Isn't the internets grand.

In fact, why not go back another 5 years, 2001. You will find DB crushing South and DB losing in the 1st round, at home, to William Blount just like 2006. Interesting, almost spooky. Wonder how William Blount is doing this year?

At least Crawdad lives on the right side of town and has a little class.

1 click for DB's playoff scores. Isn't the internets grand.

In fact, why not go back another 5 years, 2001. You will find DB crushing South and DB losing in the 1st round, at home, to William Blount just like 2006. Interesting, almost spooky. Wonder how William Blount is doing this year?

Their doing better than South. And I don't have to do any research to find out what years DB "crushed" South. Just pick a year. And a word of caution to you. Don't throw any water bottles at Gate City's band. You won't make it back across the state line. Now go back to getting school'd by Crawdad. 44-0

6. Don't try to make all-staters out of 1 or 2 players at the expense of the team.

8. Let it be widely known that it is perfectly legal to use your arms while tackling.

I place absolutely no blame or responsibility on the players for any of the above and can only hope DB knocked some sense in those that are responsible.

#3. Have the best available player (with a backup ready) in each position.

Counterpoint: This seems so basically simple, I don't know what to say about it. I am thinking of a lot of players at positions and wondering who their backup would be. Some of the skill positions are pretty clear but others not so. I won't argue this point much because I don't know if it's even possible. You need roughly 30?? to play both sides, otherwise the # swells to 40 and that might be a stretch. It goes back to that strength, speed, agility thing and most sophomores are simply not mature enough physically to contribute all year. I think it might be really hard to carry this out to the letter of intent at a school the size of South, but it's a sound idea. Our high school coaches office had a big board with our basic formations on it and a series of brass hooks for 3 name plates under each position. We always knew where we stood going into game week.

I simply don't know if anything like this is on paper or simply in the coaches minds. From what I've seen over the years, if a potential 2-deep kid has not earned his spot coming out of spring ball, the only way to work his way in is to play hard,and well enough on the scout team during practice scrimmage or exceptionally well in jv games to jump in the mix.

I had to edit to add this : when talking about playing time and getting into games, I understand how frustrating it is for those who practice, work hard and still see little time under the lights on Friday night. They are vital to the health of the team to serve as scrimmage players in practice and encouragers to their team mates. I have great respect for each of them and all they do for the community, school, and team.

Edited by crawdad

#4. Limit the number of players playing both ways.

Counterpoint: According to the starting line-ups listed on TriCitiesSports.com, D-B (bigger school) started 6 both ways while South started 5 both ways. Nuff said

#5. Limit the offense to 15-20 real football plays.

I see 2 points being made with 1 statement I believe. You may clarify.

I played a long time ago. We only ran 1 formation left and right. We were good offensively and I guess we had 30-40 plays.Multiple formations lend to a lot higher number. Last year's running game was fairly lethargic unless Heath Haden scrambled. We have relied heavily on that bunch set for 5-6 years now. I think the new formation is to bolster the running game. Unfortunately, the passing game we are used to is nowhere to be found other than the screen to the spread back or the crossing route to our stellar TE.

I agree simple is better if you have the hosses then you get more proficient at what you do. If you don't , well smoke and mirrors in an attempt to keep others guessing. Also much harder for the opposition to prepare for.

The word real made me think you were alluding to the trick plays. Coach Haynie has stated we try to put 1 or 2 in each week that we think will work. TD at Enka on 4th and long off a fake reverse, back side iso fly route. TD at D-B off hook and lateral.

Kids enjoy these. It makes practice fun and the kids get stoked. TE had a TD pass last year I believe. Our % rate for big plays on these has been very good IMO.

Edited by crawdad

Their doing better than South. And I don't have to do any research to find out what years DB "crushed" South. Just pick a year. And a word of caution to you. Don't throw any water bottles at Gate City's band. You won't make it back across the state line. Now go back to getting school'd by Crawdad. 44-0

"This ain't no garden party, brother, this is wrestling football, where only the strongest survive.â€

"All the women want to be with meDB, and the men want to be like meDB."

2005?

1993?

1991?

1987?

1986?

1985?

1984?

1983?

1981?

1980?

Not all wins, but I don't consider the final outcome "crushed". You did say pick a year. On a side note, it does look like this was once a rivalry. Obviously not so much anymore. We do live in a what have you done for me lately world. Lately, you are the man (at least in this area) and, "To be the man you have to beat the man, WOOOOOOOO!" Now go back to your, "Limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', and wheelin' dealin'. Now, if I've stroked your ego enough you can go back to ridin' Space Mountain.