Covington at Obion Co.

VOREBS

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really glad to see Cary get some looks last night. The kid hasn't gotten as many as last year and he continues to work hard everyday. Hat off to him. justaOCfan, watch the game film if ya haven't already/ or even want to. You'll see McGrew was open a lot but we just couldn't get it to him.

I don't have access to the game film, although I would love to see it. I did see McGrew in the open at times, but it was at the end of the play when I spotted him as I was watching more of where the pass went. Parr didn't have a good game on either side of the ball. Tanner is absolutely fearless across the middle and I felt like that was where the money was Friday night. That and the seam route. I felt like too much emphasis was put on getting the ball to Parr, but I'm not the one getting paid for the job or having to be the goat! lol

I did see some changes I would have made on defense. The ends were going upfield along with the OLB. I would have had the ends crash down into the 5/6 hole to help slow down the off-tackle counter. The OLBs would be responsible for containment. Seemed to me the lineman were holding their ground but were engaged for too long and let the play pass by them. I would have considered foregoing the penetration and played gap control. Easy to see from the stands and even easier to discuss here. Been there and done that at a lower level so I know how easy it can be to not see everything. Just felt that there were some adjustments that could have been made. Regardless, out of position and arm tackling was a sinkhole all night.

I also think they need a fullback package for short yardage. 6" from the goal line and in a shotgun? Like to see perhaps Quinton line up as a fullback to lead Fair on that occassion.

I don't like a loss for any reason. But the Rebels know they can play with Covington if they don't have the distractions of the previous weeks. Hopefully they take a lesson from this. Dyersburg will be a tough game IMO, but I still see the Rebels closing the regular season at 9-1. The staff has done a good job and so have the players. As always, GO REBELS!!!!!!!

Its no different on a football team or at a job, When the boss is gone workers slack a little. He is doing what any head coach does, he is taking the blame. Because he is/was out sick It caused a distraction to the team. Whether that be the case or not he is taking the blame.

I didn't see any evidence of "slack" when the Rebels were up 22-7 to start the game. I would venture that the coaches who were there gave 100 percent effort the past two weeks to prepare this team as witnessed by their quick start. As for blame, why is there a need for it in the first place? Obion County got beat because they gave gave up a long TD pass in the final seconds of the first half, lost their momentum and didn't respond when Covington got it going offensively... period! As far as I know, ALL the coaches were present and accounted for when this happened, so if there is any blame at all it should be equal.

I didn't see any evidence of "slack" when the Rebels were up 22-7 to start the game. I would venture that the coaches who were there gave 100 percent effort the past two weeks to prepare this team as witnessed by their quick start. As for blame, why is there a need for it in the first place? Obion County got beat because they gave gave up a long TD pass in the final seconds of the first half, lost their momentum and didn't respond when Covington got it going offensively... period! As far as I know, ALL the coaches were present and accounted for when this happened, so if there is any blame at all it should be equal.

Who said there was a need for it? All I Said was coach Jackson is taking the blame, he is head coach? Do they put assistant coach name in paper for a loss? And Yes they absolutely did not play well in the second half. Better to lose and regroup Now then when you don't have another day to play. And nobody implied your son didn't do his job.

You should have quoted the part I said whether that be the case or NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a more appropriate thing to say would be that when the head man isn't around, the attention to detail may not be what it needs to be. That is just what the presence of the H.C. does rather than blame any of the assistant coaches.

I don't have access to the game film, although I would love to see it. I did see McGrew in the open at times, but it was at the end of the play when I spotted him as I was watching more of where the pass went. Parr didn't have a good game on either side of the ball. Tanner is absolutely fearless across the middle and I felt like that was where the money was Friday night. That and the seam route. I felt like too much emphasis was put on getting the ball to Parr, but I'm not the one getting paid for the job or having to be the goat! lol

I did see some changes I would have made on defense. The ends were going upfield along with the OLB. I would have had the ends crash down into the 5/6 hole to help slow down the off-tackle counter. The OLBs would be responsible for containment. Seemed to me the lineman were holding their ground but were engaged for too long and let the play pass by them. I would have considered foregoing the penetration and played gap control. Easy to see from the stands and even easier to discuss here. Been there and done that at a lower level so I know how easy it can be to not see everything. Just felt that there were some adjustments that could have been made. Regardless, out of position and arm tackling was a sinkhole all night.

I also think they need a fullback package for short yardage. 6" from the goal line and in a shotgun? Like to see perhaps Quinton line up as a fullback to lead Fair on that occassion.

I don't like a loss for any reason. But the Rebels know they can play with Covington if they don't have the distractions of the previous weeks. Hopefully they take a lesson from this. Dyersburg will be a tough game IMO, but I still see the Rebels closing the regular season at 9-1. The staff has done a good job and so have the players. As always, GO REBELS!!!!!!!

I'll go even further and say Cary and McGrew were open A LOT after watching more of the game and we just didn't get it to them, but it happens. That just can't happen when we play talented teams.

You may be getting your wish for the fullback package from what I hear...

Spread Set, High Powered Offenses will fill the stands but defense wins championships. You can't allow over 500 yards rushing to the opposition and expect to win the game. Don't blame this on the coaches- they can't play. I just hope the team chemistry improves and nothing "implodes" the rest of the way. The Rebels still have a chance to win out the rest of the regular season and get a high seed and some playoff games at home to begin November. They just have to correct the mistakes, learn from them and continue to work hard.