2011 TN Titans Mr Football Ballot: Kicker of the Year

CoachT

Through 8 games this year Farragut's Jonathan King has hit on 9 of 13 field goals. He has connected from 21, 28, 33, 40, 45, 48, 49, 50 and 51 yards. His misses were from 32, 46 and 51 yards with a 40 yard attempt blocked. His 21 career field goals are a school record as is his career long of 52 yards. His field goals have often come at pivotal times, as Jonathan was good from 49 yards on the final play of the first half vs. Oak Ridge, was good from 40 yards on the final play of the first half vs. Knoxville Catholic, was good from 50 yards on the next-to-last play of the first half vs. Knoxville West and, later in that game, hit from 33 yards with 58 seconds remaining to give Farragut a 6 point cushion. I should also note that his career best 52 yarder came on the final play of the first half in last year's opening round playoff contest at Sevier County. He missed his first PAT 2 weeks ago and is now 52 of 53 for his career (20 of 21 this year). In 2011 32 of Jonathan's 38 kickoffs have resulted in touchbacks, and he has 74 touchbacks for his career. He is averaging 38.2 yards on 26 punts this year, 12 of which have been marked inside the 20. Jonathan's net average is 35.4, the difference due almost entirely to punts that have carried into the endzone, as only 1 of his punts has been returned. His long this year is 53 yards (twice), while his career long is 63 yards - and, make no mistake, these were not of the "friendly roll" variety. In addition, on the opening play of the 2nd half against Knoxville West Jonathan recovered his own perfectly executed onside kick.

A quick update to Jonathan's resume: he established a new career and school record with a 53 yard field goal on a soaked field and in driving rain this past Friday. The field goal by King turned out to be the winning margin.