Greeneville @ Claiborne

BillyBobby

Yep and some of these county fans will never get tired of giving us reasons why we should exit the BRAC at the earliest opportunity...obviously all that weak competition is hurting out chances to win the big game. I have noticed, however, a steady improvement of the County teams since the formation of the BRAC. Would someone care to opine on the reason for such a drastic improvement?

I have said often that if I was in charge at Greeneville I would stay put (maybe try to get in district 1 though). All sports are doing good in the BRAC. My point is that they are so above everyone in football. I don't want them to leave the BRAC. It is nice having a great team to play against every year.

I have said often that if I was in charge at Greeneville I would stay put (maybe try to get in district 1 though). All sports are doing good in the BRAC. My point is that they are so above everyone in football. I don't want them to leave the BRAC. It is nice having a great team to play against every year.

Thing is I bet the BRAC doesn't exist in couple of years cause the current system tssaa has is a big failure statewide

Although I do believe playing better competition makes you better, and Greeneville is definitely better competition. I have a hard time believing that one game a year is the only or even the number one reason the county schools are doing better at this current time. I think it involves more. For example, explain the success of North Greene? They don't play Greeneville.

One reason is I think the coaching is getting better. Joe Case and Josh Edens have done a tremendous job. Ben Murphy is an excellent coach and Shawn Jones is... well Shawn Jones. I think the assistants have gotten better and there are more coaches on the coaching staffs in the county now.

The talent pool is at a high right now. Look for all the county schools to take a drop off next year because of the Senior classes they are losing. All four county schools have amazing Senior classes. There are some great athletes in the county playing football right now and those special classes don't come around very often.

As much as people want to gripe about it about the city putting money into the programs, so are the county teams. Weight rooms have gotten better, new field houses have been built, the fields are being groomed and are in better condition, etc., etc.

All these play a factor in getting better.

Although I do believe playing better competition makes you better, and Greeneville is definitely better competition. I have a hard time believing that one game a year is the only or even the number one reason the county schools are doing better at this current time. I think it involves more. For example, explain the success of North Greene? They don't play Greeneville.

One reason is I think the coaching is getting better. Joe Case and Josh Edens have done a tremendous job. Ben Murphy is an excellent coach and Shawn Jones is... well Shawn Jones. I think the assistants have gotten better and there are more coaches on the coaching staffs in the county now.

The talent pool is at a high right now. Look for all the county schools to take a drop off next year because of the Senior classes they are losing. All four county schools have amazing Senior classes. There are some great athletes in the county playing football right now and those special classes don't come around very often.

As much as people want to gripe about it about the city putting money into the programs, so are the county teams. Weight rooms have gotten better, new field houses have been built, the fields are being groomed and are in better condition, etc., etc.

You didn't mention the fact that some of the other teams are the worst they have been in years or ever example cloudland and claborine . Ng has no doubt improved some and I really like their coach I have known him for years but they picked a great year to do it with the rest of their district struggling except hampton .

You didn't mention the fact that some of the other teams are the worst they have been in years or ever example cloudland and claborine . Ng has no doubt improved some and I really like their coach I have known him for years but they picked a great year to do it with the rest of their district struggling except hampton .

Well that goes against swipes statement too, Claiborne should be getting better because they play Greeneville too, not having one of their worst seasons in years.

You have to start somewhere :thumb: . I think that Greeneville has helped teams improve over these past 2 year as you can tell with more and more county schools making the play-offs and actually competeing against Knoxville teams. If this is all do to a group of athletes coming through the Co in the past 2 years then it will not strengthen the conference at all. You sharpen iron with iron and 2 things are going to happen in Greene Co. either the County schools will get better (which i think will happen in time) or they Transfer to GHS.

County schools have gotten better because their talent has been better the past 4 years and 3 of them have gotten better because of the coaching staff. Example: Ward broke all-time rushing record at WG 3 years ago and Boles broke Ward's this year. Not many players have been as good as Shuffler was last year at SG. C-D has been blessed with 3 good backs the past 4 years. Talent is up and the coaching is better (at 3 of the schools). Playing better competition definitely helps, but getting beat by 40 in the 1st half does not make you better. I am glad the county schools get to play Greeneville, but they are no where close to being able to even compete with them yet, so I don't think it makes you necessarily better getting pounded. What makes them better is coaching staffs making the kids get in the weightroom, teaching them the fundamentals of the game, and updating weightroom and other facilities (gets kids wanting to come there, instead of "transferring to GHS"-comment actually made by a Greeneville fan, not complaining).

You have hit on all the factors that have impacted the county programs. Coaching and money play a key factor. But having Greeneville in the conference has focused attention on the football programs and excited the fans...and the increased gate has helped the financially struggling programs with much needed improvements. I aways hate when someone mentions our "donor" because they tend to over look the parents and boosters that have countless pancake breakfasts and raffles to raise money for the nuts and bolts that keep the Devils rolling. They are the backbone of the county programs as well.

I aways hate when someone mentions our "donor" because they tend to over look the parents and boosters that have countless pancake breakfasts and raffles to raise money for the nuts and bolts that keep the Devils rolling. They are the backbone of the county programs as well.

That is a very good point that shouldn't be forgotten. There have been many people that have contributed to the success of the GHS program financially, through various fundraisers or buying ads for a program. Obviously, the major contributions come from a select few, but it takes an entire community to keep the program going strong.

County schools have gotten better because their talent has been better the past 4 years and 3 of them have gotten better because of the coaching staff. Example: Ward broke all-time rushing record at WG 3 years ago and Boles broke Ward's this year. Not many players have been as good as Shuffler was last year at SG. C-D has been blessed with 3 good backs the past 4 years. Talent is up and the coaching is better (at 3 of the schools). Playing better competition definitely helps, but getting beat by 40 in the 1st half does not make you better. I am glad the county schools get to play Greeneville, but they are no where close to being able to even compete with them yet, so I don't think it makes you necessarily better getting pounded. What makes them better is coaching staffs making the kids get in the weightroom, teaching them the fundamentals of the game, and updating weightroom and other facilities (gets kids wanting to come there, instead of "transferring to GHS"-comment actually made by a Greeneville fan, not complaining).

So SG didn't have talent there when Laws, the Wright brothers and Sauceman played? Like barb said having Greeneville in the conference has put pressure on the county schools to get better because they don't want to get beat by 40 and have more of a focus on football.

I thought this was a Greeneville and Claiborne thread not a let's debate about the difference in city and county. I know there is not much too talk about with this game but come on. Does anyone remember how this time two years ago heading into this game Claiborne was like eighth in 4a and the idiots on prep extra in the knox paper like rick russo picked them to beat greeneville

So SG didn't have talent there when Laws, the Wright brothers and Sauceman played? Like barb said having Greeneville in the conference has put pressure on the county schools to get better because they don't want to get beat by 40 and have more of a focus on football.

Yes they did, but they were good then too, even without Greeneville in the conference. WG has gotten better because of the new coaching staff and talented players. They were 2-38 the 4 years prior the coaching change and last years and this years senior class which had/has lots of talent.