MLK V.S. HUME-FOGG( Can they both make state?)

hoops317

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kidding, right? Both teams will have to beat a VERY talented Portland team just for the district title. Also, Lipscomb and East in their district have the ability to knock HFA and MLK off. It takes much more than just players to make the state tournament. Ask Clarksville about when they had Marion and Hassell. You have to catch some breaks and stay injury and illness free. With five solid teams just in their district, somebody is staying home come region time.

My post was about MLK eventually making it to state within the next few years..I never said they could this year. Its gonna be tough to knock Portland out but portland will be losing alot in the next two years where as MLK will be gaining from AAU and other situations (Transfers and good feeder system).

Clarksville didnt have a good enough coach, trust me on this one!!.. Anytime you have two NBA Caliber (D1 prospects at the time) players on the same team playing together, theres no excuse for no state title.

Having potential D1 players does not guarantee success. Goodpasture had three eventual SEC players on their roster in '94 (Ron Mercer, Drew Maddux and Sam Howard). And yet they were beaten by a BGA team that only had one player to play in college (Seth Pettus at Belmont--God rest his soul). Sometimes however, a less talented team can go all the way with pure desire and effort. Never underestimate the intangibles. If a great talent does not put forth the effort, whose fault is it really? The player or the coach? I can give you a hundred examples of guys in the last 20 years that had the ability to go pro. The inner-drive to work hard to get there has to be within them.

Look I dont need you giving me lectures on what makes a Champion..I;ve been around sports long enough.I know in our (Clarksville High) situation during the Marion-Hassell days we didnt have the coaching that was needed to win a state tournament like we should have with the type players on the team..Yes, we were beaten by a good Memphis East team but we should have came out with a state title that year and possibly the year after that as well. Thanks TNBBALL!!

Because the DRKNOWS really DONT!!

Go cry to someone else. I merely stated my opinion. If you can't handle someone having a different one from yours, then just take your ball and go home. I didn't lecture anyone ( although it is obvious you have heard a few). I also gave up another example of exactly what you said about Clarksville. Get over yourself. Obviously, you had something to do with that Clarksville team and still harbor hard feelings. The drknows more than you can begin to comprehend about sports in this area. Tell Coach Young I said hi.

Yea Yea, well you stated your opinion and I stated mine..I just don't need you giving me lessons or like I said earlier LECTURES on what it takes..I know that it takes more than superstars to win championships..That wasnt the reason why I made the post in the first place..My whole idea was that Clarksville didnt have the good coaching it needed to go along with two Major D-1 prospects.

In any case, What name will I give Coach Young when giving him this message? I'm sure you know your fair share but I may know as much or more in this situation.

I thought the thread was about MLK Vs. Hume-Fogg.

I agree that MLK will EVENTUALLY make it, but this year its more likely that Hume-Fogg will go further. They have leadership within the team, behind Senior guard Brandon Harriford and that team is a big time threat. They were only two games away last year. In response to the earlier comments, I agree that Lipscomb should be in the argument, but neither East nor Portland. Hume-Fogg only beat East by 30+ points twice last year and they lost their best player Chase Watson. Likewise Portland lost their best player Corey Brewer I hear. So just like last year I think it will be a 3 way struggle between Hume-Fogg, Lipscomb, and MLK, in that order.

Posted by Thunder21:

I thought the thread was about MLK Vs. Hume-Fogg.

I agree that MLK will EVENTUALLY make it, but this year its more likely that Hume-Fogg will go further. They have leadership within the team, behind Senior guard Brandon Harriford and that team is a big time threat. They were only two games away last year. In response to the earlier comments, I agree that Lipscomb should be in the argument, but neither East nor Portland. Hume-Fogg only beat East by 30+ points twice last year and they lost their best player Chase Watson. Likewise Portland lost their best player Corey Brewer I hear. So just like last year I think it will be a 3 way struggle between Hume-Fogg, Lipscomb, and MLK, in that order.

Sorry thunder but you got bad info on Cory Brewer, he will be a junior this year. He is the teams most talented player but dont forget about big John Ferguson hes really good to. He and Josh Stephens (Abe) should have some good battles this year. My vote is Lipscomb and Portland have the best chance if any to get to state.