Is Signal the only ones guilty? I think not! More to come!

1113sm

The South Carolina HS athletic association just vacated 7 wins from a team yesterday for playing an ineligible player as well. Most HS atletic associations have similar rules and penalties.

Apparently, Georgia hasn't updated to the vacated wins instead of a forfeit for ineligible players.

Apparently, Georgia hasn't updated to the vacated wins instead of a forfeit for ineligible players.

I just went back an re-read the SC story and they forfeited the games, not vacated, and credited the opponents with wins instead of losses...that's brutal. TSSAA is a hand-slap by comparison. Alabama also has a forfeit penalty for ineligbility.

Edited by barb

"Everybody does it."

I don't know about everybody but there are alot. Has been going on along time. I know of kids being talked to in Bradley and Meigs about attending schools in different counties when thier in middle school. But the lengths people go to for sports nowdays is getting out of hand. One kid in Bradley system was moved from one elementary school to another because the first school would not hold him back and it wasn't anything to do with academics, then another kids parents left that same school just to go play with the first ones team in basketball and this kid wasn't in any academic distress either, nor was he not able to start on his first team. What are we teaching our kids? When this happens what do they tell thier kids you're not good enough to compete with kids you're own age , doesn't matter if you're friends all go to one school you have to win daddy a championship...as a 10 yr old! Ridiculous!

Edited by anotherback

I don't know about everybody but there are alot. Has been going on along time. I know of kids being talked to in Bradley and Meigs about attending schools in different counties when thier in middle school. But the lengths people go to for sports nowdays is getting out of hand. One kid in Bradley system was moved from one elementary school to another because the first school would not hold him back and it wasn't anything to do with academics, then another kids parents left that same school just to go play with the first ones team in basketball and this kid wasn't in any academic distress either, nor was he not able to start on his first team. What are we teaching are kids? When this happens what do they tell thier kids you're not good enough to compete with kids you're own age , doesn't matter if you're friends all go to one school you have to win daddy a championship...as a 10 yr old! Ridiculous!

If that's the case then why doesn't a parent just hold the kid out of Kindergarten. How early do you want to start? Do these parents know the implications of manipulating the kids HS physical maturity in grade school if the same kid struggles later? Given the age restrictions TSSAA imposes for eligibility, if they hold a kid back for football(or basketball etc) what happens if the kid fails a grade? They just had a team here in South Carolina that had to forfeit 9 games for playing a 20 year old man with a bunch of 16 year olds. How many great athletes lose eligibility because they are too old?