McNairy Central's Glover steps down

cardfan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were McNairy I'd look for a "new" guy who has a proven track record elsewhere and can step in and create an atmosphere that is centered on winning. They had that once upon a time when Tommy Browder was the school's coach and they need to somehow find it once again. A name that I'd like to throw out there who I feel would do a tremendous job at MCHS is current Stewart County head football coach Myles Holliday. Holliday's Stewart County teams always play hard and are always well prepared and execute to maximize their team's chances of success. Overall talent has been something that has plagued Stewart County once they've gotten into the playoffs and had to square off against the likes of Milan and Goodpasture (as well as Fairview last year) but given a neutral amount of talent (or even close) to an opposing team I believe Holliday could win at a lot of places. If he were to apply McNairy Central would be foolish not to take a long, hard look at the man.

If I were McNairy I'd look for a "new" guy who has a proven track record elsewhere and can step in and create an atmosphere that is centered on winning. They had that once upon a time when Tommy Browder was the school's coach and they need to somehow find it once again. A name that I'd like to throw out there who I feel would do a tremendous job at MCHS is current Stewart County head football coach Myles Holliday. Holliday's Stewart County teams always play hard and are always well prepared and execute to maximize their team's chances of success. Overall talent has been something that has plagued Stewart County once they've gotten into the playoffs and had to square off against the likes of Milan and Goodpasture (as well as Fairview last year) but given a neutral amount of talent (or even close) to an opposing team I believe Holliday could win at a lot of places. If he were to apply McNairy Central would be foolish not to take a long, hard look at the man.

and what is funny they still have wrestling every week in selmer too. He would fit right in. All kidding aside I agree they need someone from outside that will not bend to pressure to play certain kids just cause daddy is a big booster or family is connected somehow. Talent is around if they can get it and use it.

The first thing that needs to be done, is hire the best coach. Plain and simple. Keep the politics out of it, no more good ol boy system. Get the best coach who wants to win and can build a program. The politics are killing our athletic program. It should be what s best for all kids and not just a few.

The next coach needs experience in building a program because we have to start from scratch now. He needs to believe in discipline and coach with enthusiasm and relate with the players. Believe in teaching fundamentals and developing the kids starting their freshmen year.

I would like to see them look at some assistants from the top programs (ex: henry co, milan). But I will throw out one name that should be on the list. I know alot of fans like the idea of Adamsville DC Renard Woodmore. I think he would be a good fit and will bring to the table what the team needs. Not saying he should get it, but he should be high on the list.

The first thing that needs to be done, is hire the best coach. Plain and simple. Keep the politics out of it, no more good ol boy system. Get the best coach who wants to win and can build a program. The politics are killing our athletic program. It should be what s best for all kids and not just a few.

The next coach needs experience in building a program because we have to start from scratch now. He needs to believe in discipline and coach with enthusiasm and relate with the players. Believe in teaching fundamentals and developing the kids starting their freshmen year.

I would like to see them look at some assistants from the top programs (ex: henry co, milan). But I will throw out one name that should be on the list. I know alot of fans like the idea of Adamsville DC Renard Woodmore. I think he would be a good fit and will bring to the table what the team needs. Not saying he should get it, but he should be high on the list.

I agree for the most part. However, I would hesitate to hire Woodmore or any Aville assistants. Coach Gray is the secret and mastermind behind Adamsville's renaissance - I don't believe his assistants would perform very well against him. I think Brian Franks, the current baseball coach, would actually do better. To be honest, McNairy Central is a terrible position for a first-time head coach. The next several years don't promise much talent, and it is going to be tough road with an unforgiving fanbase. Unless, McNairy Central lucks into a great head coach, I have the feeling the next coach will be gone in 3-4 years too.

I think the Stewart County coach would be an interesting hire because he has had great success against Coach Gray and Adamsville, despite never having the superior team on paper. He's also won at a traditionally subpar program. However, I don't see why he would leave Dover for Selmer.

I think the stack of applications will be a lot shorter than it was in 2008.

Yeah, it could be a hard job to step into because you have two parties of boosters that are at odds. But most fans know it is not going to be an overnight success. They just want to see improvement and being competitive. But, I think there is some really good talent coming up starting with next years freshmen. So by year 3, the coach could get certain boosters off his back. But, I do believe that stack of applications will be smaller.

• 1 month later...

I don't think alot of the process is being talked about. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I've just heard bits of info. I heard they had some quality head coaches apply. A couple I believe would be a tremendous hire and I was surprised they put there name in. I'm not going to name names in respect of the coaches who put in.

They have to be close to naming the coach. Interviews started 1st of the month and you would think they would want a coach in place at the beginning of the year. We will see if they are serious about what's best for the program and the school. Or if they are still playing the good ole boy system. This is a big hire and they have to get it right or the boys athletic program is in trouble. Alot of talent comng up from the JR High the next few years and they have to get them to McNairy and keep them playing.