PoLk @ CaK

polkalumn01

Last yr this game was awesome with Cak gettin the win in the final two minutes. Both teams lost leadership and talent from last season. The young guys on both sides have more than proven when they play to their ability they can play with anyone. Goodluck to both teams and GO BIG RED!

Good luck to both teams. After seeing both teams now I'm picking CAK by 14 but Polk plays the right way you better pack a lunch they will pound ya all 4 qtrs.

This is a rematch from Round 2 last year. And yes, that was a hard hitting thriller that went down to the wire. I expect the same thing this year. I would assume both teams with the same coaches are still running basically the same offenses and defenses, so it should look a lot like last years contest. I would tell the Polk fans that CAK is a little improved on offense this year and not hardly as good defensively. However; the improvement our defense has shown over the last half of the season is encouraging, especially the way they played against Alcoa. A few personnel changes and the addition of some stunts and blitzes has improved this groups performance to a level comparable to last years unit IMO. And while Polk is known for their physical play, this CAK defense has some guys that know how to lay the lumber as well. I expect this to be another slobber knocker game. It will be interesting to see how Polk defends the CAK offense now that it is apparent that the Warriors can also run the football. Turnovers & penalties have added impact on games such as this when teams are closely matched. Much respect for Polk and their fan base. Looking forward to another great game. :thumb:

Yes it shoould be. The fact that CaK has added the running abilitiy really scares me a bit. I couldn imagine that Air it Out Offense adding the run game. It was hard enough to defend last yr. The run game could get CaK over the hump and improve their chances at a Gold Ball tremendously. I'm a die hard Polk Alumn, but I don't think our boys can pull it out unless CaK makes a few mistakes. Polk is a totally different team this season away from Benton. They jus can't seem to get up for the BIG ROAD GAMES like they do at home. With that bein said I'm gonna say maybe we can capitalize on a few mistakes.... 21- 20 Polk

Football dad what style of offense would u say has gaiven that defense the most trouble to defend this season?

Yes it shoould be. The fact that CaK has added the running abilitiy really scares me a bit. I couldn imagine that Air it Out Offense adding the run game. It was hard enough to defend last yr. The run game could get CaK over the hump and improve their chances at a Gold Ball tremendously. I'm a die hard Polk Alumn, but I don't think our boys can pull it out unless CaK makes a few mistakes. Polk is a totally different team this season away from Benton. They jus can't seem to get up for the BIG ROAD GAMES like they do at home. With that bein said I'm gonna say maybe we can capitalize on a few mistakes.... 21- 20 Polk

Football dad what style of offense would u say has gaiven that defense the most trouble to defend this season?

Ha, I'm not buying all that Lou Holtzing jabber. Thats my area of expertise :D Polk earned our respect last year and our boys know that they will have to come loaded for bear to win this game. As far as what style of offense has given us the most trouble, early in the season I would have said "any style" of offense, ha. Early on our D line was just not winning many battles in the trenches. We only had 1 returning starter on the defense and our inexperience really showed. Grace really whipped us on the defensive front with the wingT and even Stone had some success. But then we got a Sr. lineman back from injury who had been out since the spring, coaches moved a few guys around, added some stunts & blitzes, and our guys started playing better and getting more confident. Now I would say our D is playing good football, not great or dominating, but good solid physical football. We seem to give up a play or two every game with our pass defense, but our scheme will leave us vulnerable occasionally. Speedy backs like Aloca's will always give us a scare. We handled Alcoa's power game fairly well but they didn't stick with it consistently like we expect to see from Polk. Here is a question for you. Does Polk have the same level of head hunters in the secondary that they had last year?

Ha, I'm not buying all that Lou Holtzing jabber. Thats my area of expertise :D Polk earned our respect last year and our boys know that they will have to come loaded for bear to win this game. As far as what style of offense has given us the most trouble, early in the season I would have said "any style" of offense, ha. Early on our D line was just not winning many battles in the trenches. We only had 1 returning starter on the defense and our inexperience really showed. Grace really whipped us on the defensive front with the wingT and even Stone had some success. But then we got a Sr. lineman back from injury who had been out since the spring, coaches moved a few guys around, added some stunts & blitzes, and our guys started playing better and getting more confident. Now I would say our D is playing good football, not great or dominating, but good solid physical football. We seem to give up a play or two every game with our pass defense, but our scheme will leave us vulnerable occasionally. Speedy backs like Aloca's will always give us a scare. We handled Alcoa's power game fairly well but they didn't stick with it consistently like we expect to see from Polk. Here is a question for you. Does Polk have the same level of head hunters in the secondary that they had last year?

I would say no, but solid and they have a good pursuit. They don't have a Hargrove or an Allen type athelete on D. #35 our Sophomore starting linebacker has all the ability in the world and when he is on he can certainly be a playmaker. The S/QB #24 can also be a ballhawk in the secondary. We have a very underrated def end in #15 he can wreak havoc at times in the backfield. This team as CaK is young and ealy in the season had to find its identity as well. The SP game woke these boys up I hope. After beating Signal at home (even without McClendon u can ask anyone they are still the most powerful team in Chatt opposite of Baylor) they seemed to get cocky and only practiced the starters all week due to fall break. And got smacked in the mouth. SP gave that Knox Grace team all they could handle in a 3-0 loss in OT. This should most certainly be a great game. Is that injured playmaking reciever gonna be able play this week? He was hard to handle last year.

While this game makes me nervous due to the respect Polk earned from CAK fans in last year's match up, I can't wait for next Friday. It's really exciting to get to see our guys go up against some of the best from other areas and last year's contest did not disappoint. CAK will have to be on their game to have a chance to advance. I do think the Warriors have made tremendous progress on defense. Early on in the season, I did not think the D was good enough to give the Warriors a chance to make a run. But they have made steady progress, and as FBD said, with personnel changes and using some different ways to attack, they have really come on. The Warrior offense is as good of a passing attack as they have ever had and the run game looks to add a dimension behind CAK's biggest offensive line in the program's brief history. I will be excited to see what Polk brings to Warrior Stadium next week and see how these 2 teams match up. Polk fans, what kind of run / pass percentage has Polk had this year?

. Is that injured playmaking reciever gonna be able play this week? He was hard to handle last year.

I'm not sure at this point, but I would lean towards him playing, but no word from anyone yet. I guess it will just depend on how he feels through practice this week. He had a good year last year, but this year has been a break out year for him prior to the injury. He is a big play maker who is very competitive and he is a difference maker when he is on the field. We need him for sure, but the guys have all pulled together and picked up the slack since he has been out, even played Alcoa without him.

Polk has a great tradition and I know you all take great pride in your tough smash mouth football, so we expect nothing less this time. Defensively that was the most physical team we faced last year. I felt Alcoa was overall the most physical because they really punished us with their offense (#1 & #2) as much as or more than they did with their defense, but Polk was and is certainly a physical team. I will also add that CAK doesn't get enough credit for playing tough IMO. We are so well known for our finesse passing attack that sometimes it is overlooked how "scrappy" and tough our players have become.

Edited by FootballDad

I would say no, but solid and they have a good pursuit. They don't have a Hargrove or an Allen type athelete on D. #35 our Sophomore starting linebacker has all the ability in the world and when he is on he can certainly be a playmaker. The S/QB #24 can also be a ballhawk in the secondary. We have a very underrated def end in #15 he can wreak havoc at times in the backfield. This team as CaK is young and ealy in the season had to find its identity as well. The SP game woke these boys up I hope. After beating Signal at home (even without McClendon u can ask anyone they are still the most powerful team in Chatt opposite of Baylor) they seemed to get cocky and only practiced the starters all week due to fall break. And got smacked in the mouth. SP gave that Knox Grace team all they could handle in a 3-0 loss in OT. This should most certainly be a great game. Is that injured playmaking reciever gonna be able play this week? He was hard to handle last year.

Umm my god man did you forget someone? Farmer #40 has surpassed Hargroves tackle total for last year a couple games ago and is in no doubt the leader of this D. But i'm just sayin .... ;)

Umm my god man did you forget someone? Farmer #40 has surpassed Hargroves tackle total for last year a couple games ago and is in no doubt the leader of this D. But i'm just sayin .... ;)

Taking nothing away from Farmer, definitely a good player, but you may need to check your numbers. According to the Times Free Press, Miller leads the team in tackles.

Taking nothing away from Farmer, definitely a good player, but you may need to check your numbers. According to the Times Free Press, Miller leads the team in tackles.

Farmer slipped my mind but yes he can play as well. Everything aside more tackles or not neither of these guys are Hargrove by any means. The boy was a TFL and sack beast. He wreaked havoc behind the line of scrimmage. The name slips my mind but that defensive lineman #78 I believe and Allen the headhunter he was at safety had a nose for the football and took some of his tackles. And our offense last season did a lot better job of controlling the ball and eating clock limiting the possesions of their opponents.