BA vs. Christian Brothers

nike7

Congrats to coach Bowers, as much as I hate to admit it... As several of us have pointed out, Ensworth is set for a good run and BA is lagging. Unless there is a coaching change, expect more of the same. We barely beat Baylor, this year, and would not have acheived that if not for a great run by our running back in the last seconds of the game. Ricky has Ralph's number and we lose our D1 O-line next year, and many very talented players on our defense... Corn is licking his chops. Are there not more frustrated BA fans out there??? Ignoring the problems will assure us a middle of the pack status for years to come, I will promise you that....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my (somewhat wordy) take:

BA is no longer just a football school- it truly addresses the whole kid. I've got a kid there- and 2 more on the way. Yes, Bowers is an outstanding coach. I played for him back in the day back when he was a BA assistant. Brilliant mind and knows how to win the big game. Heck, he could probably coach a State Championship Monopoly team if someone gave him the Monopoly clipboard and marginal Monopoly players.

In the 1980's, BA was outstanding in sports, but admittedly deficient in so many areas- especially in the areas that are strong now. If you a girl that went there that didn't play sports- or someone wanting to do fine arts, golf, leadership development- there was not much there. Also, we were beating up on AA competition. My senior year in 88'- freaking David Lipscomb was in the semis (a team we beat 63-7 in regular season a few weeks before that year). Beating Baylor in the regular season now and battling Ensworth gives me excited more than whuppin up on Cheatham County, Camden and Waverly in the playoffs. Sucks as a fan sometimes, but it is truly high level competition.

In my opinion- I pay tuition, and my kid is getting more that can sustain him through life. He is making relationships that will sustain a lifetime and the teachers and coaches are outstanding people that care about my kid.

My 2 State Championship rings are great, as well as the 3 Track State Championships- and all the other great individual stuff I got to experience. However, if the school wants to nurture the whole kid more than they want to win State Championships- so be it. I'm in. Why should I complain when I want them to win like they did back in the 1980's more than the school wants to go ALL IN on athletics. I will tell you, when I came out of the school in the 1980's- I was pretty underdeveloped in many ways- as were many other fellows. However, I balanced that with some great athletic memories.

Ensworth- they won, great! You the man! Corn- you rock! However, as a parent, if I want my son to be athletically competitive on a national level like we were back in the day- I will go to private coaching and AAU sports in the summer. As a four year D-1 athlete- I'll tell ya- sports ain't the answer for everything. Many who start ain't gonna finish anyways. Making a buck, living for what you stand for, and supporting a family one day does.

School sports outside of football just doesn't hold the clout it once did anyways. It is more about AAU and other club experiences to college coaches. Again, this is outside of football. Therefore, I will bank more of my judgements level of leader, person, athletic performer, and self-reliant student my kid is. One that is ready for a top college. It seems that is where my alma mater is putting its money where its mouth is anyways.

If the school wanted to communicate something different, they would have cleaned house long ago and stopped promoting alumni that seemed to mirror it's mission more than winning State Titles. As a parent and former athlete- now that I am a wage earning adult, I wonder if the new way is better as long as we are competitive and in the running each year with homegrown talent- and my kid is getting the overall BA Experience it was intended to be by the Founders.

For my fellow alumni that I bled with during the 80's- no offense intended on anything we accomplished during that awesome time. It truly rocked.

Edited by GoldenGoose85

I dont think anyone is questioning the quality of the people at BA, or the quality of a balanced education for anyone who attends there. BA has not been bad in football over the past several years but they certainly have had the talent to win several state championships and it's painful to watch their basketball team over the past few years. I have notice also as an outsider a lack of attendance at some of the games and for someone who went to many of BA's basketball games during this past decade, the games ...are just not what they use to be. As far as AAU basketball or travel .....fill in the blank with the sport.....are concerned. Have you ever been to an AAU tournament and compared it to a packed gym against two top high school basketball teams? Both of my sons have played on ranked AAU teams the past two years and outside of family, the gym may be full....but you have a very small cheering section for your team. Its necessary for kids who wish to get looks from college but and the games are tough and exciting, but the atmosphere is no where near what you saw the year Brandon Wright was a senior at BA. I was at the AAU national championships last year for 11th grade and also attended the game between St Andrews and St Patrick in New Jersey. Even though I enjoyed the AAU games they paled in comparison to the energy of the matchup between St Andrews and St Patrick. A few of the BA games when Brandon Wright was there were some of the most exciting games I have ever attended. Even though the importance of high school sports have lost some of their significance with recruiting they still serve a very important purpose for the school. I know you are not writing the contrary, just thought I would clarify a point. Sports are a small part of life for many people, I just hope in this grand transition you write about that BA does not lose their competitive drive to put the best product on the field or court. I dont think that has happened but there are times when they have looked uninspired, downright boring and predictable.

Here is my (somewhat wordy) take:

BA is no longer just a football school- it truly addresses the whole kid. I've got a kid there- and 2 more on the way. Yes, Bowers is an outstanding coach. I played for him back in the day back when he was a BA assistant. Brilliant mind and knows how to win the big game. Heck, he could probably coach a State Championship Monopoly team if someone gave him the Monopoly clipboard and marginal Monopoly players.

In the 1980's, BA was outstanding in sports, but admittedly deficient in so many areas- especially in the areas that are strong now. If you a girl that went there that didn't play sports- or someone wanting to do fine arts, golf, leadership development- there was not much there. Also, we were beating up on AA competition. My senior year in 88'- freaking David Lipscomb was in the semis (a team we beat 63-7 in regular season a few weeks before that year). Beating Baylor in the regular season now and battling Ensworth gives me excited more than whuppin up on Cheatham County, Camden and Waverly in the playoffs. Sucks as a fan sometimes, but it is truly high level competition.

In my opinion- I pay tuition, and my kid is getting more that can sustain him through life. He is making relationships that will sustain a lifetime and the teachers and coaches are outstanding people that care about my kid.

My 2 State Championship rings are great, as well as the 3 Track State Championships- and all the other great individual stuff I got to experience. However, if the school wants to nurture the whole kid more than they want to win State Championships- so be it. I'm in. Why should I complain when I want them to win like they did back in the 1980's more than the school wants to go ALL IN on athletics. I will tell you, when I came out of the school in the 1980's- I was pretty underdeveloped in many ways- as were many other fellows. However, I balanced that with some great athletic memories.

Ensworth- they won, great! You the man! Corn- you rock! However, as a parent, if I want my son to be athletically competitive on a national level like we were back in the day- I will go to private coaching and AAU sports in the summer. As a four year D-1 athlete- I'll tell ya- sports ain't the answer for everything. Many who start ain't gonna finish anyways. Making a buck, living for what you stand for, and supporting a family one day does.

School sports outside of football just doesn't hold the clout it once did anyways. It is more about AAU and other club experiences to college coaches. Again, this is outside of football. Therefore, I will bank more of my judgements level of leader, person, athletic performer, and self-reliant student my kid is. One that is ready for a top college. It seems that is where my alma mater is putting its money where its mouth is anyways.

If the school wanted to communicate something different, they would have cleaned house long ago and stopped promoting alumni that seemed to mirror it's mission more than winning State Titles. As a parent and former athlete- now that I am a wage earning adult, I wonder if the new way is better as long as we are competitive and in the running each year with homegrown talent- and my kid is getting the overall BA Experience it was intended to be by the Founders.

For my fellow alumni that I bled with during the 80's- no offense intended on anything we accomplished during that awesome time. It truly rocked.

It appears to me that Ensworth is providing a top notch, high tech "experience" in academics and rolling out the state championships as well. Let's be real, these schools have to attract people to survive. BA fell behind the curve, when coach retired. He won without all the fancy facilities. The administration has done a great job with upgrades. We just have an athletic director and head football coach, who is in over his head. Will BA continue down a shakey path, and continue to fall short of their talent? Will the people making the investments force a change? Coach Bowers is a winner, as much as I hate to admit it. Put him at any public school, and he would find a way to win. Rickys players BELIEVE in him. Msny of Ralph's players do not. I heard it all year, at games I was able to attend. It is time to make a change folks. The BA experience has nothing to do with the athletic director, it will continue when he is gone.

It appears to me that Ensworth is providing a top notch, high tech "experience" in academics and rolling out the state championships as well. Let's be real, these schools have to attract people to survive. BA fell behind the curve, when coach retired. He won without all the fancy facilities. The administration has done a great job with upgrades. We just have an athletic director and head football coach, who is in over his head. Will BA continue down a shakey path, and continue to fall short of their talent? Will the people making the investments force a change? Coach Bowers is a winner, as much as I hate to admit it. Put him at any public school, and he would find a way to win. Rickys players BELIEVE in him. Msny of Ralph's players do not. I heard it all year, at games I was able to attend. It is time to make a change folks. The BA experience has nothing to do with the athletic director, it will continue when he is gone.

Potter's players do not respect him because he has never respected them. That means you'll never win a c-ship. You only need to speak with some of the boys to know that. The good news, i hear inklings of possible changes coming. We'll see what happens. Yes, as an author earlier noted, there are more offerings than there were in the 80s, but sports in general at BA (other than baseball and maybe track) AND esp young ladies sports are trending in the wrong direction. Just another reason why change is needed BUT it would be a mistake to have the head f-ball coach also be the AD - does not work.

However, I balanced that with some great athletic memories.

Last 5 years (Potter years)of football memories.

2007 - 2 losses to MBA, made it to semi round playoff.

2008 - Loss MBA, Ryan, made it to semi round playoff.

2009 - Loss MBA, Ryan, Ensworth, made it to qtr round playoff.

2010 - 2 losses to Ensworth, made it to semi round playoff.

2011 - loss to Ensworth and CBHS, made it to qtr round playoff.

Note: All DII AA teams make playoffs.

Potter's record 46-17, with no signature win. Dominated BGA and JPII during the last 5 years. Those are some great athletic memories!

Nurturing: to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development. That should include the football field as well as the halls of BA.

Edited by shakinthefat

Folks, you are making some great points. I respect the earlier posters points about the BA experience. However, that experience was built over many, many years of being the new school in town and overachieving, year in and out. BA didn’t start out with huge money like Ensworth did. BA’s success didn't just happen yesterday, nor did it over the past five years while Ralph has been there. It was built with grit, determination and a belief in religion. Ensworth, isn’t aimed in that direction. Sadly, our school has lost its identity. They are deathly afraid of Ensworth, but have no clue of how to fix the issue, and will probably continue down the same sad path.

Last 5 years (Potter years)of football memories.

2007 - 2 losses to MBA, made it to semi round playoff.

2008 - Loss MBA, Ryan, made it to semi round playoff.

2009 - Loss MBA, Ryan, Ensworth, made it to qtr round playoff.

2010 - 2 losses to Ensworth, made it to semi round playoff.

2011 - loss to Ensworth and CBHS, made it to qtr round playoff.

Note: All DII AA teams make playoffs.

Potter's record 46-17, with no signature win. Dominated BGA and JPII during the last 5 years. Those are some great athletic memories!

Nurturing: to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development. That should include the football field as well as the halls of BA.

Amen brother.

Potter's players do not respect him because he has never respected them. That means you'll never win a c-ship. You only need to speak with some of the boys to know that. The good news, i hear inklings of possible changes coming. We'll see what happens. Yes, as an author earlier noted, there are more offerings than there were in the 80s, but sports in general at BA (other than baseball and maybe track) AND esp young ladies sports are trending in the wrong direction. Just another reason why change is needed BUT it would be a mistake to have the head f-ball coach also be the AD - does not work.

We can only hope so..

BUT it would be a mistake to have the head f-ball coach also be the AD - does not work.

BA's Flatt was a head coach and a AD and won 10 state championships. But IMO BA's other sports, except track, always played 2nd fiddle to football.

Only 3 schools in DII AA have the AD as an active head coach. BA, Ensworth and MUS.

It takes a very talented individual to be a head coach, an OC or DC and then run the athletic department. The other 7 DII AA schools that put an emphasis on a full time AD with no ties to any team at their school. When the AD is the head football coach, other head coaches will feel their teams will never measure up. When there is a AD/head coach on the hot seat, and he/she has to fire another head coach at that school who is also on the hot seat, there is a conflict.

There should be layers of accountability. Board of Trustees, headmaster, AD, then head coach. BA, Ensworth and MUS are all missing that.

Edited by shakinthefat

BA's Flatt was a head coach and a AD and won 10 state championships. But IMO BA's other sports, except track, always played 2nd fiddle to football.

Only 3 schools in DII AA have the AD as an active head coach. BA, Ensworth and MUS.

It takes a very talented individual to be a head coach, an OC or DC and then run the athletic department. The other 7 DII AA schools that put an emphasis on a full time AD with no ties to any team at their school. When the AD is the head football coach, other head coaches will feel their teams will never measure up. When there is a AD/head coach on the hot seat, and he/she has to fire another head coach at that school who is also on the hot seat, there is a conflict.

There should be layers of accountability. Board of Trustees, headmaster, AD, then head coach. BA, Ensworth and MUS are all missing that.

Yep, and this is 2011, among the many other skills that are required, some key ones are these - ADs need to be excellent communicators, play a PR and "marketing" role for the entire slate of a school's sports' offerings, and build strong, positive relationships with colleagues and most importantly with the students. We aren't getting any of those.