Friendship christian Baseball.

horsepig11

Maybe they were struggling with the pitcher and not the fans, when I hit, I'm so focused that I don't hear a single thing, all I'm worried about is hitting the ball that's coming at me. I play at Cumberland and one of our team guidelines is NO EXCUSES. Quit crying about cow bells and just get the job done. If you can't hit the ball then the pitcher got the better of you, not the fans.

Off this thread just a bit, but since you play at Cumberland, what kind of budget do they have? We have a player at SC supposedly to sign and some of the details didn't seem to add up. Can you enlighten?

Edited by haebvols

Off this thread just a bit, but since you play at Cumberland, what kind of budget do they have? We have a player at SC supposedly to sign and some of the details didn't seem to add up. Can you enlighten?

What do you mean by budget? We have to buy practice shirts, shorts, cleats, turfs and all that. Coach Hunt bought the whole team hoodies this winter. The inside facility and the field are awesome. The player will become a much better player by going to Cumberland, but there is a ton of competition. We started the fall with 67 players I think.

What do you mean by budget? We have to buy practice shirts, shorts, cleats, turfs and all that. Coach Hunt bought the whole team hoodies this winter. The inside facility and the field are awesome. The player will become a much better player by going to Cumberland, but there is a ton of competition. We started the fall with 67 players I think.

Coach Hunt is a class act, I saw him speak at a hotstove dinner, with Corbin, Forehand, Jarvis, Peterson, etc... Cumberland used to play these teams but Hunt kept beating them :)

Edited by FightinIllini

Thats like saying Tiger Woods shouldn't play golf because if the noise of a camera clicking distracts him he shouldn't be at the tee (and we've all seen how he treats that when it happens). And he's trying to hit a ball that's sitting still on a tee with basically the same swing a batter takes except for the angle. Anyway that kinda thing goes both ways.

That is 2 different types of sports and 2 different styles that come with playing those sports. If golf was a sport where the crowd gets loud then there would be all kinds of different distractions at golf matches. Talking about the cow bells and how distracting they are seems like an excuse for losing or poor play.

That is 2 different types of sports and 2 different styles that come with playing those sports. If golf was a sport where the crowd gets loud then there would be all kinds of different distractions at golf matches. Talking about the cow bells and how distracting they are seems like an excuse for losing or poor play.

Cow bells used to distract an opposing player by fans is classless plain and simple. The intent of the fans should be to root for their team to win, and to show good sportsmanship. The outcome of the game should be decided by what happens between the lines, not by fans creating a distraction and inserting themselves into the game.

We are not shooting free-throws where the offensive team decides their own fate. In baseball the defense has the ball, and I might add throwing it 80+ miles per hour.

I personally feel that cowbells and all false noise makers should be banned by TSSAA.

What if for example, the opposing team's batter has a hearing issue, maybe hyper sensitivity, the cow bells enhance that and the player instinctively grabs his ears and gets hit with the ball? What if it creates such a distraction that the batter cannot concentrate and loses maybe just for a split second his ability to dodge a baseball?

Is trying to win a game worth all of that? Not to mention that any fan should have more respect for the game.

Commanderman, I can understand why you defend the actions of a few FC fans, I can agree with you about what coach Hunt is teaching you about making no excuses, but frankly you are not playing HS baseball any longer so you arguement does not apply.

Any fan that uses false noise to distract a 15-18 year old high school player needs their head examined. These players have dedicated a large part of their life to play high school baseball, the game is hard enough and the expectations to perform well are demanded by parents and coaches. We as parents shoudl lead by example, I cannot imagine riding home after a game with my sons and saying " wow the cow bells really helped you on the mound today"

Edited by FightinIllini

Cow bells used to distract an opposing player by fans is classless plain and simple. The intent of the fans should be to root for their team to win, and to show good sportsmanship. The outcome of the game should be decided by what happens between the lines, not by fans creating a distraction and inserting themselves into the game.

We are not shooting free-throws where the offensive team decides their own fate. In baseball the defense has the ball, and I might add throwing it 80+ miles per hour.

I personally feel that cowbells and all false noise makers should be banned by TSSAA.

What if for example, the opposing team's batter has a hearing issue, maybe hyper sensitivity, the cow bells enhance that and the player instinctively grabs his ears and gets hit with the ball? What if it creates such a distraction that the batter cannot concentrate and loses maybe just for a split second his ability to dodge a baseball?

Is trying to win a game worth all of that? Not to mention that any fan should have more respect for the game.

Commanderman, I can understand why you defend the actions of a few FC fans, I can agree with you about what coach Hunt is teaching you about making no excuses, but frankly you are not playing HS baseball any longer so you arguement does not apply.

Any fan that uses false noise to distract a 15-18 year old high school player needs their head examined. These players have dedicated a large part of their life to play high school baseball, the game is hard enough and the expectations to perform well are demanded by parents and coaches. We as parents shoudl lead by example, I cannot imagine riding home after a game with my sons and saying " wow the cow bells really helped you on the mound today"

We're gonna have to agree to disagree lol. I just don't buy the excuse that cowbells affect a players ability to hit a baseball. I have never seen or heard of your above scenario playing out, but it could happen and if a team had a player like that then I would think that teams fans would let our fans know before he hit that he has some type of hearing hypersensitivity and our fans would respect that while he was hitting. I feel that 15-18 year old athletes should be mature enough to not let an artificial noise maker effect their play. Do I think cowbells make a game more enjoyable? No not at all, I'm like you and I'd rather watch a game without them, but that's not the point of the discussion. Wareagle wanted to use cowbells as an excuse and I just don't see that being a legitimate excuse.

Understand all that, meant in the way of scholarships. And doesn't Cumberaland run close to $25k per year?

Understand all that, meant in the way of scholarships. And doesn't Cumberaland run close to $25k per year?

20k, Cumberland has a lot of scholarships that can be given if he will write a few papers. He can get a works study scholarship as well. If he wants it bad enough then he could prob go on only scholarships.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree lol. I just don't buy the excuse that cowbells affect a players ability to hit a baseball. I have never seen or heard of your above scenario playing out, but it could happen and if a team had a player like that then I would think that teams fans would let our fans know before he hit that he has some type of hearing hypersensitivity and our fans would respect that while he was hitting. I feel that 15-18 year old athletes should be mature enough to not let an artificial noise maker effect their play. Do I think cowbells make a game more enjoyable? No not at all, I'm like you and I'd rather watch a game without them, but that's not the point of the discussion. Wareagle wanted to use cowbells as an excuse and I just don't see that being a legitimate excuse.

I agree it should not be used as an excuse, you are taking a player approach, I am taking a parent/fan appoach.

No CommanderMan, not an excuse, crowd noise is one thing a sudden loud sharp sound like a cowbell clanging as you start to swing is gonna make you flinch, its a natural reaction, that has nothing to do with the ability of the pitcher to beat you with a curveball. It's kinda like when you're sitting behind home plate and a ball is fouled back hard right at your face and you blink or jump, same thing, it's a defensive mechanism our bodies and brains have ingrained so yeah it's not a fair deal. It's like if you do that to the batter then maybe someone needs to stand behind the fence and home plate and flash a bright light at the pitcher just as he is in the middle of his windup, is that fair, it's just a distraction. I guess what I'm trying to say is cheering and all that is fine but let the duel be between the batter and pitcher, that makes for a better game with a fair playing field.

No CommanderMan, not an excuse, crowd noise is one thing a sudden loud sharp sound like a cowbell clanging as you start to swing is gonna make you flinch, its a natural reaction, that has nothing to do with the ability of the pitcher to beat you with a curveball. It's kinda like when you're sitting behind home plate and a ball is fouled back hard right at your face and you blink or jump, same thing, it's a defensive mechanism our bodies and brains have ingrained so yeah it's not a fair deal. It's like if you do that to the batter then maybe someone needs to stand behind the fence and home plate and flash a bright light at the pitcher just as he is in the middle of his windup, is that fair, it's just a distraction. I guess what I'm trying to say is cheering and all that is fine but let the duel be between the batter and pitcher, that makes for a better game with a fair playing field.

I strongly disagree. The cowbell isn't in the batters ear so it's not all that loud when your on the field. It's whatever though, if it makes you feel better to say you got beat by fans and not the ball team then have at it.