152- Darren Smith (sd) loses in OT 12-29

160- Alexander (sd) pinned by Clark Glass (Br) 12-35

170- Henry (sd) gets major dec 9-1 12-39

182- Reno (sd) gets pinned 12-45

195- Brett Ervin (sd) receives forfeit 18-45

220- Swanson (sd) receives forfeit 24-45

Final- 24-45 Brandon

Breakdown...

- Brandon wrestled without, from what I heard, stud of a 106 pounder and no one to take his place.

- Soddy wrestled without state champion Jacob Stevens at 113, and bumped a 103 up to fill in for him.

- In order to pick up the slack from Stevens absence, Soddy forfeited to Fargo champion Rossi Bruno at 126, bumping everyone up from 126 to 152. The bump made the score look much worse than it could have been if Lewis and Smith had wrestled their weights, but it was a smart move by henry, as he was going for the win and not a close loss.

- I'm pretty certain Brandon only forfeited at 195 and 220 to save their kids for collins hill... or to make the score look worse than it already was. Regardless, I think it's safe to say Ervin and Swanson would have gotten pins. If anyone else saw Brandon's 195 and 220 pounders I'm sure they would agree.

Conclusion...

Although it's a pretty bad score, Soddy had a legitimate shot at beating Brandon (or at least making it a close score). Stevens in the line-up is a possible 9 point swing in itself, not bumping Lewis and Smith is a 12 point swing (Very likely bonus points there as well), and 195 and 220 is 12 points for Soddy either way.

So with a little math and ALOT of imagination... the score might as well have been 33-34, with Brandon still coming out on top. But hey, I'm just throwing this stuff out there, a guy can dream, right?

Avoiding Rossi probably didnt help in hindsight. Norstrem at 132 is a 2 or 3 time super 32 placer and fargo greco national champion. Would have had a better shot at beating Rossi and not given up the size difference to a kid who is just as good. Then your next guys would have had a shot instead of being undersized against top kids. Hey, I like the gamble and go for it attitude though. Looks like there were some close matches.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soddy vs. Brandon match results

hwt- Seley pins in the first 6-0

106- Houser (sd) receives forfeit (Br) 12-0

113- Brewer (sd) gets pinned in 3rd 12-6

120- Peckinpaugh (sd)gets decisioned 12-9

126- Rossi Bruno (br) receives forfeit 12-15

132- Deckleman (sd) gets tf by Kevin Norstream (Br) 12-20

138- Richmond (sd) loses by dec 12-23

145- Lewis (sd) loses by dec 12-26

152- Darren Smith (sd) loses in OT 12-29

160- Alexander (sd) pinned by Clark Glass (Br) 12-35

170- Henry (sd) gets major dec 9-1 12-39

182- Reno (sd) gets pinned 12-45

195- Brett Ervin (sd) receives forfeit 18-45

220- Swanson (sd) receives forfeit 24-45

Final- 24-45 Brandon

Breakdown...

- Brandon wrestled without, from what I heard, stud of a 106 pounder and no one to take his place.

- Soddy wrestled without state champion Jacob Stevens at 113, and bumped a 103 up to fill in for him.

- In order to pick up the slack from Stevens absence, Soddy forfeited to Fargo champion Rossi Bruno at 126, bumping everyone up from 126 to 152. The bump made the score look much worse than it could have been if Lewis and Smith had wrestled their weights, but it was a smart move by henry, as he was going for the win and not a close loss.

- I'm pretty certain Brandon only forfeited at 195 and 220 to save their kids for collins hill... or to make the score look worse than it already was. Regardless, I think it's safe to say Ervin and Swanson would have gotten pins. If anyone else saw Brandon's 195 and 220 pounders I'm sure they would agree.

Conclusion...

Although it's a pretty bad score, Soddy had a legitimate shot at beating Brandon (or at least making it a close score). Stevens in the line-up is a possible 9 point swing in itself, not bumping Lewis and Smith is a 12 point swing (Very likely bonus points there as well), and 195 and 220 is 12 points for Soddy either way.

So with a little math and ALOT of imagination... the score might as well have been 33-34, with Brandon still coming out on top. But hey, I'm just throwing this stuff out there, a guy can dream, right?

Well, well, well.... this is very conflicting from the story I got! Now trojanman12 I dont see the legitmate chance to beat Brandon. I'm sure soddy will handle everyone rather easily in the state of TN and maybe get in the bottom of the national rankings, but Brandon is a top ten team in the county every year.

Here's the results borrowed from the Georgia forum......(Thanks to Fret and Coach Stephens)

Below are the results from the Kyle Maynard Duals:

Pool A

Collins Hill 54, Manatee 21

Collins Hill, 69, Cass 6

Manatee 27, Peachtree Ridge 34

Manatee 39, Cass 36

Collins Hill 60, Peachtree Ridge 16

Cass 26, Peachtree Ridge 49

Pool B

Osceolla 77, Loganville 0

Baylor 50, North Gwinnett 18

Loganville 6, Baylor 75

Osceolla 55, North Gwinnett 21

Loganville 30, North Gwinnett 54

Osceolla 34, Baylor 36

Pool C

Chapel Hill 15, Gordon Lee 60

Chapel Hill 30, Grayson 44

Soddy Daisy 48, Gordon Lee 31

Grayson 20, Gordon Lee 54

Soddy Daisy 63, Grayson 4

Soddy Daisy 70, Chapel Hill 3

Pool D

Brandon 58, Woodland 20

Brandon 58, Bremen 18

Brandon 45, McCallie 22

Bremen 24, McCallie 34

Woodland 38, Bremen 39

Woodland 30, McCallie 42

Other Matches:

Peachtree Ridge 21, McCallie 57

Osceolla 64, Gordon Lee 12

Manatee 18, Bremen 54

North Gwinnett 58, Grayson 15

Cass 21, Woodland 54

Loganville 52, Chapel Hill 24

Cass 44, Chapel Hill 24

Woodland def Loganville (didn't get the score)

Manatee 46, Grayson 33

North Gwinnett 18, Bremen 48

Peachtree Ridge 42, Gordon Lee 31

Osceolla 58, McCallie 15

3rd Place- Soddy Daisy vs. Baylor (didn't wrestle)

1st Place- Brandon 38, Collins Hill 24

Well, well, well.... this is very conflicting from the story I got! Now trojanman12 I dont see the legitmate chance to beat Brandon. I'm sure soddy will handle everyone rather easily in the state of TN and maybe get in the bottom of the national rankings, but Brandon is a top ten team in the county every year.

I say he's right on. Brandon is not the team they have been in the past....yet. I was holding the weigh in sheets for most of the day and their roster is full of 9th and 10th grader wrestlers.

Again....I'm going from memory, but I think earlier this year they only beat Camden County, GA by 3....and that was with a full lineup. That's why Camden is ranked in AWN.

CH fell out of some rankings because of their 6th place finish at The Cougar Invitational, but in their defense they didn't have Ferguson and Brandtmueller injury defaulted during his first match. Ferguson finished 2nd in that same tournament last year.

Anyway....after saying all that..I wouldn't be surprised if Soddy-Daisy wins their tournament.....even with Collins Hill there this year.

Avoiding Rossi probably didnt help in hindsight. Norstrem at 132 is a 2 or 3 time super 32 placer and fargo greco national champion. Would have had a better shot at beating Rossi and not given up the size difference to a kid who is just as good. Then your next guys would have had a shot instead of being undersized against top kids. Hey, I like the gamble and go for it attitude though. Looks like there were some close matches.

The bump was a great move by Coach Henry and his coaching staff/ video crew man . Brandon has a nationally ranked top 10 kid at 126 and 132 against two SD 10th graders that haven't even placed in the state,,,given that data its safe to say Brandon gets 5 or 6 at 126 and 138 no matter what Coach Henry does,,,,said all that to say this,,,by bumping the line-up at 126,,,it allows SD to match up their battle proven studs against a couple of Brandon's Freshman,,,the bump was the best shot at getting the match ups we needed to have a shot at making it interesting. (fyi,,,the only 126 in that building that had a real shot at beating Rossi was in a red singlet and the two teams didn't meet)

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays to all,,,especially those with boots on the ground in harms way!

CC,,,sends...

We all wanted to see it!

The skinnyposts for keeping me straight on the score.

Dual match tournaments are great because even the below average wrestlers get four or five matches. However, if you really want to see who the best wrestler is you must go to an individual tournament. With Baylor going to the Clash you would hope that Mr. Watson get's pushed, but if Baylor does not go deep in the tournament that may not happen.