d2 state champs??

spikes7

predictions for the state champion team in D2 and also top runners for the state meet

my prediction

Harpeth Hall

1. Morgan Stengal (HH)

2. Whitney Wonderlin (BGA)

3. Samantha Mazer (USN)

that'll be a VERY close race, but I think this is how it will turn out

[Edited by spikes7 on 10-16-02 9:13A]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be bold and go against the grain and stick with mccallie for the boys team title. i'm kind of torn as mccallie seems to have peaked somewhat, but i also think webb is a bit overrated. everyone seems so amazed by their cherokee times, but when converted to steeplechase, it is still impressive but by no means dominant. i'm gonna withhold my individual prediction for now...

on the girls, harpeth hall no question. individually i say mazer. she seems to have dominated wonderlin recently, going back to outdoor, and has put up some impressive times from what i can tell.

as much as i do want kelsey to win, i dont think its gonna happen. mazer and wonderlin were nearly a minute off their pr's, i think, and with girls, bad races can come at any time and they come back as strong as ever the next. i'll go with mazer to win, but i hope kelsey can pull it out. and girls being outstanding as underclassmen is not uncommon at all.

what does everyone think about boy's individuals?

[Edited by BPolley on 10-29-02 12:31A]

i wouldnt give up on harpeth hall. theyve been running strong throughout the season, and i wouldnt be suprised to see some of their top runners up with the lead pack. stengel is just now recovering from being sick, so im expecting a much better performance from her than was seen in the past few weeks. plus, their coach is good in preparing her girls for state.

as for the boys, i see ba and mccallie vying for the team championship. bumbalough has been strong, and if there isnt much competition from the east and west, hes got the individual crown.

oh but there is, including the guy who beat me last year. i would give anything to see bumbi do what i couldnt but it will be tough, altough very possible. hes got a great shot. even if he doesnt this year, his time will come very soon.

the team competition will come down to mccallie and webb. i think BA is a solid third but look at mccallie last year...anything is possible. and harpeth hall should have no problem whatsoever winning the girls whether stengall is 1st or 8th.

[Edited by BPolley on 10-29-02 10:51P]

My money is definitely back on Stengel for this weekend. Rumor has it her workouts have been intense for this meet. Susan Russ is a smart coach and has designed workouts all season to prepare her girls for this meet. I look forward to seeing the results of this highly anticipated event.

as state approaches ive heard bits and pieces about diff. teams-individually i was very impressed with tunney at regions as i didn't know she was that strong, she is a definate contender for the title. I will not count out stengal as it was rumored she was sick ??? whitney wonderlin is another possibilty as well as samantha, however it appeared to me that samantha had reached her peak at regions, it could very well have been a bad race

team wise- i will never switch my prediciton for this...no doubt Harpeth Hall. I think it would take an unbelievable miracle for anyone else to take the title. They ran six runners under 20 i heard and were 3-8 at region. Susan Russ has been very successful in years past and i dont think they've lost anyone so they are a very experienced team that knows how to win

Boys are not so definate..

Bumbalough may have it this year - team wise BA McCallie or MBA ??

Guest Gremlin1946

harpeth hall had a great race, placing all 7 runners in the top 15

it was a very suprising day, with unexpected finishes by some runners.

can someone tell me about the boys race?

The boys race was exciting, but was dominated by Webb. It was close up front until about halfway through, when BA's Andrew Bumbalough and CBHS's Anthony Chiulli pulled away from everyone. Bumbi won with a 15:07 --the second fastest time of the day (Dusty Miller, West, 14:58) -- and Chiulli, the defending state champ, finished 2 seconds behind BA's Super Sophomore. Taylor Smith rounded out the top 3 with a strong 15:21, which still would have won state last year (Chiulli won with a 15:26). But after the top 3 it was ALL Webb. Here are the places for each team. Scores are listed after places, but keep in mind that individual runners without teams make the team scores unequal to the sum of the top 5 places.

1st -- Webb: 4-6-8-13-28 -- 57

2nd -- McCallie: 3-10-17-22-24 -- 73

3rd -- Memphis University School: 5-15-19-23-31 -- 89

4th -- Montgomery Bell Academy: 7-9-14-29-36 -- 91

5th -- Baylor: 18-21-30-37-40 -- 139

6th -- Christian Brothers: 2-20-34-43-50 -- 143

7th -- Brentwood Academy: 1-26-38-46-52 -- 156

8th -- Father Ryan: 25-27-33-66-68 -- 212

9th -- University School of Nashville: 11-47-57-59-63 -- 229

10th -- Evangelical Christian School: 44-49-51-58-62 -- 254

11th -- Harding Academy: 16-60-61-70-72 -- 270