MBA Investigation Findings

retiredtothebleachers

FROM THE TENNESSEAN:

Major sanctions have been leveled against Montgomery Bell Academy by the state’s high school athletic governing organization for violations of recruiting rules and the tuition and financial aid rule.

After a five-month investigation, the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association has placed the school on probation for two years, vacated the state football championship the school won in 2007 and the basketball championship it won in 2010.

Additionally, the school is required to forfeit a number of wins that came about when ineligible players were used, and TSSAA is requiring MBA to repay tournament and playoff revenues totaling $46,952.33.

Now Gioia must go.

The Nashville City Paper:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/tssaa-hammers-mba-financial-aid-violations

Nice spin job by MBA to the TSSAA. Did MBA write that letter "from the TSSAA"? They avoided mentioning many known cases by placing blame on the old coach and the finance office.

While I cannot dispute the penalties, I find it ABHORRENT that the TSSAA publicly named two current 9th grade boys in the document. Or perhaps the behavior of the Nashville City Paper is ABHORRENT in that regard -- THOSE NAMES SHOULD HAVE BEEN REDACTED BEFORE PUBLIC DISSEMINATION.

I have no love for MBA, but it's hard for me to restrain my anger about this. Absolutely shocking.

While I cannot dispute the penalties, I find it ABHORRENT that the TSSAA publicly named two current 9th grade boys in the document. Or perhaps the behavior of the Nashville City Paper is ABHORRENT in that regard -- THOSE NAMES SHOULD HAVE BEEN REDACTED BEFORE PUBLIC DISSEMINATION.

I have no love for MBA, but it's hard for me to restrain my anger about this. Absolutely shocking.

The names were also published in the Tennessean.