7AAA BASEBALL 2012

baseball2468

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a stab at the top teams this year in 7AAA.

I think Riverdale will be the team to beat. I believe they have the largest senior class and most if not all of the Seniors have been playing together since middle school, but they will have to have some underclassmen step up and fill some critical spots.

I believe Smyrna will have the best shot at coming in second or possibly first if Riverdale does not gel this year. I do not know all the players but they were a tough team last year and should get better this year.

After those two teams it really a toss up. Coach Reavis seems to always pull together a good Siegel team but I think they will be hurting for enough Pitching this year. The same can be said for Blackman. Oakland is young, with only a few returning players with varsity experience. However if the younger players are able to step up and hit (they have some talent) Oakland may be a sleeper team because they do have a few good Pitchers returning that have experience. Lavergne lost their ace pitcher last year and I do not know if they have anyone to replace him.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really a 2 part question. 1. Most talent 2. who will win

Most talent

1. Riverdale - Best overall talent.Deep with hitting. Fielding a question.

2. Smyrna - Plenty of key players returning and good group of young players to fill in key spots.

3. Blackman - Lost some bats last year and starting pitching. Young players will need to step up.

4. Siegel - Desimated by graduation last year. Good talent up the middle. Depth will be a big question.

5. Oakland - Again got hit hard by graduation. Will be very young.

6. Lavergne - Still young and will be improved over last year. Pitching depth will be big question.

Who will win

1. Smyrna - They play with a chip on thier shoulder and will win this year. They have a talented team and will play together this year and not have the mental breakdowns of years past. Play hard nose brand of baseball and this will be thier year.

2. Blackman - Not as talented as past teams but the coach gets the most out of his players, escpecailly pitchers, and they play hard for him. They always seem to be competitive regardless of talent gaps.

3. Riverdale - This team always makes me scratch my head.By far the most talent but they have been very talented the past few years and can't get over the hump. Great hitting team but seem to always play scared. Not very good at managing pitching. They play to win series and not titles.

4. Siegel - They are the best coached and he get's more out of his players than any other. Best pitching coach by far and makes average staffs great. They would be higher because of that but just don't have the depth this year. They will be back at number 1 next year.

5. Oakland - This will be a rough year for Oakland and they will be playing a lot of young players.They have some talent but not battle tested. It will be interesting to see how the young talent develops and they could be very good in the next 2 years.

6. Lavergne - This team will be better than last year. They have some talent but depth is the problem especially at pitching. They will have a rough time again this year but will surprise some people with a few wins.

To sum it up. Riverdale has talent to be a state team but strange team to watch play and don't think they will reach thier potential. Blackman will get most out of what they have and be in the mix even with less talent than past teams. This will be the year Smyrna makes a run. They have the talent and will put it together this year. The rest are just too young and do not have enough experience. They will be rebuilding.

This is really a 2 part question. 1. Most talent 2. who will win

Most talent

1. Riverdale - Best overall talent.Deep with hitting. Fielding a question.

2. Smyrna - Plenty of key players returning and good group of young players to fill in key spots.

3. Blackman - Lost some bats last year and starting pitching. Young players will need to step up.

4. Siegel - Desimated by graduation last year. Good talent up the middle. Depth will be a big question.

5. Oakland - Again got hit hard by graduation. Will be very young.

6. Lavergne - Still young and will be improved over last year. Pitching depth will be big question.

Who will win

1. Smyrna - They play with a chip on thier shoulder and will win this year. They have a talented team and will play together this year and not have the mental breakdowns of years past. Play hard nose brand of baseball and this will be thier year.

2. Blackman - Not as talented as past teams but the coach gets the most out of his players, escpecailly pitchers, and they play hard for him. They always seem to be competitive regardless of talent gaps.

3. Riverdale - This team always makes me scratch my head.By far the most talent but they have been very talented the past few years and can't get over the hump. Great hitting team but seem to always play scared. Not very good at managing pitching. They play to win series and not titles.

4. Siegel - They are the best coached and he get's more out of his players than any other. Best pitching coach by far and makes average staffs great. They would be higher because of that but just don't have the depth this year. They will be back at number 1 next year.

5. Oakland - This will be a rough year for Oakland and they will be playing a lot of young players.They have some talent but not battle tested. It will be interesting to see how the young talent develops and they could be very good in the next 2 years.

6. Lavergne - This team will be better than last year. They have some talent but depth is the problem especially at pitching. They will have a rough time again this year but will surprise some people with a few wins.

To sum it up. Riverdale has talent to be a state team but strange team to watch play and don't think they will reach thier potential. Blackman will get most out of what they have and be in the mix even with less talent than past teams. This will be the year Smyrna makes a run. They have the talent and will put it together this year. The rest are just too young and do not have enough experience. They will be rebuilding.

Very interesting viewpoint. I will agree that Smyrna is a very good team and has a lot of good players returning and they should be very good with Swafford, Stricklin, Freeman, and Wolcotte leading the way. I am sure they have others as well. Blackman is still very talented as they return 5 starters from last year. Skipwoth, Hamby, Snider, Martin, Gilmore are to name a few. Parker does a great job getting his players to play. Riverdale does have the most experience returning and should make a run. I would disagree with you on hitting being their strength. How could you know anything about Riverdale and think their strength would be offense? They have many,many arms iin King, Snider, Sutton, Westberry, May, Adams etc... as far as the comment that they have always been talented yes they have but to the point that they shouldve done more with it-tend to disagree-last year was best team and they lost to columbia 1-0 in regions. Siegel will be very talented with Stockstille, Moss, Sloan and other lh pitcher Scultz-revis does an awesome job. Oakland was senior heavy last year and they are gone, still have newman, sanderson, ward. Lavergne will be better because of age and darnelle will do a great job with them and i hear a mitchelll is helpinig them oach with pitchers. It all comes down to performing on the field does not matter whats on paper. Looking at your pevious post you are obviously emotionally tied to pitching and to blackman/riverdale somehow---maybe holding grudge somewhere along the way-but def off in your assessments of Pitchers. But thats what makes this board good for people like you and me we can get on here and go undefeated

Very interesting viewpoint. I will agree that Smyrna is a very good team and has a lot of good players returning and they should be very good with Swafford, Stricklin, Freeman, and Wolcotte leading the way. I am sure they have others as well. Blackman is still very talented as they return 5 starters from last year. Skipwoth, Hamby, Snider, Martin, Gilmore are to name a few. Parker does a great job getting his players to play. Riverdale does have the most experience returning and should make a run. I would disagree with you on hitting being their strength. How could you know anything about Riverdale and think their strength would be offense? They have many,many arms iin King, Snider, Sutton, Westberry, May, Adams etc... as far as the comment that they have always been talented yes they have but to the point that they shouldve done more with it-tend to disagree-last year was best team and they lost to columbia 1-0 in regions. Siegel will be very talented with Stockstille, Moss, Sloan and other lh pitcher Scultz-revis does an awesome job. Oakland was senior heavy last year and they are gone, still have newman, sanderson, ward. Lavergne will be better because of age and darnelle will do a great job with them and i hear a mitchelll is helpinig them oach with pitchers. It all comes down to performing on the field does not matter whats on paper. Looking at your pevious post you are obviously emotionally tied to pitching and to blackman/riverdale somehow---maybe holding grudge somewhere along the way-but def off in your assessments of Pitchers. But thats what makes this board good for people like you and me we can get on here and go undefeated

I think Gilmore is at Smyrna now too.

Here is the logic behind my objective opinion through watching teams and talking sports in this county before 7AAA existed. Riverdale coaches do a great job with hitting. It is not new that hitting has always been the signature of a Riverdale team much like pitching and defense is the signature of a Siegel team. I have no emotional ties to pitching but understand the game. If you watch any good coach speak they will say that pitching and defense wins championships. Riverdale had the most depth at pitching last year and came in second place. That is fact not opinion. Siegel had less depth and talent but got more out of staff, played good defense and came in first, also fact. Revis and Parker are best at coaching pitchers and Messer is best at coaching hitters. This is fact.

Emotional ties and holding grudge, interesting view because I have an opion that seems to differ from yours. I am a fan of Rutherford county sports but like to follow baseball more than others. I do have ties but not to Riverdale and not sure why that even matters. I am passionate that kids should attend the school they are zoned and have seen that get very complicated over the years. If you read my posts then you also know I believe that needs to be addressed in all sports. I am guessing by your post you must be a coach. And as you say we can be experts on here and see what happens on the field. Good luck to all teams this season and a State Title for Rutherford County is long overdue.

Edited by TrueFacts

Truefacts sounds like he knows his stuff. my post wasnt meant to come across the way it did. Sorry. You are right I am a coach and must i say the best i know, lol, I haven't lost a game yet. You seem on with what you are saying. Defense and Pitching do win championships-at any level. Garb back and forth is what drives this board and allows parents like me a chance to get fired up about baseball. 7AAA is a gauntlet filled with college athletes, super staffs, great followings, state tournament fields, and must I say good concession stands, and of course passionate fans. You are right a state title for rutheford county is long overdue.

I have not been on for sometime and wanting to get the 7AAA thread started but looks like it is well underway. Yesterday was first day of practice so finally we can get some baseball news going. It is going to be a great year. I think Riverdale wins this year. It is a homer pick but I still believe this is their year. The number of big bats they have is ridiculous and they have lot's of options in putting a strong lineup together. Smyrna will give everyone trouble this year. Blackman will also be very competitive. Siegel will be very young as will Oakland. Lavergne will be better than last year. Practice is step one but opening day can't get here soon enough. Going to be a very exciting season!!!!

This is definitely a two team race with Blackman and Riverdale. Siegel has lost a ton and has no impact players returning. Smyrna always has talent but Vetter never seems to know what to do with it. Oakland is a team full of sophmores. LaVergne still lacks depth. Blackman has the two best offensive weapons in Skipworth and Snider. Along with a dominant pitcher in Martin. Riverdale will have to lean on King and I don't think he can dominate like Frebis did. After that there is alot of question marks on defense and the rest of the pitching staff. They need to score 10 runs a game to make up for these issues. I think Blackman pulls it out but just barely. Like you guys are saying, it should be a very competive district. Although I think there is a bigger gap between the top three Blackman, Riverdale, and Smyrna and the bottom three.

Edited by Volfan162