7AAA BASEBALL 2012

baseball2468

Everyone has a week of practice in and should have a scrimmage or intersquad under their belt. What are things shaping up like? Riverdale should be able to score some runs this year. Pretty impressed with how well they are hitting with the new bats. They had a good start Friday night. Any other updates?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)Riverdale

2)Blackman

3)Smyrna

4)Siegal

5)Oakland

6)Lavergne

For the record, I think 2-4 are interchangeable and there isn't much difference between the three of them.

1) Riverdale---this is the obvious choice with JK being the dominant pitcher in the district and with a strong hitting team. Will other teams throw their aces against JK or will they stagger their pitching rotations to throw their ace against Riverdale's #2?

2) Smyrna---They need to make the move this year and they should have enough pitching to get them over the hump.

3) Blackman---They don't have enough pitching. They have talent elsewhere---they can hit and play good defense but I don't think they have enough pitching to get it done. If they find one more quality pitcher they may be in business.

4) Siegel---They are the wild card in my opinion. They lost alot from last years team but they have a deep bench and I have to believe that they will surprise some teams this year. Remember the name Ryan Schultz---big lefty who could dominate this year. Best coach in the district period.

5) Lavergne---They will make some noise this year but not enough to make a difference.

6) Oakland---Bad situation period. Parents are bickering, coach plays favorites and they seem to have more kids quit the team each year than all other teams mentioned above.

I also agree that 2-4 are interchangeable. If Siegel gets off to a good start they could make some serious noise.

Edited by BigBob44

1) Riverdale---this is the obvious choice with JK being the dominant pitcher in the district and with a strong hitting team. Will other teams throw their aces against JK or will they stagger their pitching rotations to throw their ace against Riverdale's #2?

2) Smyrna---They need to make the move this year and they should have enough pitching to get them over the hump.

3) Blackman---They don't have enough pitching. They have talent elsewhere---they can hit and play good defense but I don't think they have enough pitching to get it done. If they find one more quality pitcher they may be in business.

4) Siegel---They are the wild card in my opinion. They lost alot from last years team but they have a deep bench and I have to believe that they will surprise some teams this year. Remember the name Ryan Schultz---big lefty who could dominate this year. Best coach in the district period.

5) Lavergne---They will make some noise this year but not enough to make a difference.

6) Oakland---Bad situation period. Parents are bickering, coach plays favorites and they seem to have more kids quit the team each year than all other teams mentioned above.

I also agree that 2-4 are interchangeable. If Siegel gets off to a good start they could make some serious noise.

BigBob...I do believe you're delusional regarding Oakland. I don't know where you get your facts from, or what you've been told, but you're about as wrong as you can get in your description of Oakland. First of all, our parents aren't bickering. As a matter of fact, this year has been really nice compared to the last few years. There is always a disgruntled parent or two, but I can list disgruntled parents on several of the 7AAA teams right now. That's just life, and it's usually the result of an unrealistic parent. Secondly, the coach doesn't play favorites (unless you're getting your info from your disgruntled friend). And thirdly, we haven't had any players (of significance) quit the team lately. And, I'm counting last year, too. Before that, we had two kids quit the team...one was a transfer from Riverdale, and the other was a transfer from Siegel. But, to say we've had more kids quit the program than the other programs combined is a grandiose misstatement. And, I will say this about the Oakland team (and I've been around for the last 5 years), we've not had any players who have been arrested, failed a drug test, caught smoking weed, stealing radios from cars, taking steroids, been suspended from school for a week for possession of a weapon, and on and on.

Add to that, our Booster Club is squeaky clean and we haven't broken any rules.

So, BigBob, you need to get your facts straight before you get on a public forum to slander a baseball program that has accomplished something that no other program in this district has done. Go to our website and look at the accomplishments of this program, or better yet, when you come to a game, get there a little early and go stand in front of the Traditions Wall...it'll take you a while to soak it all in.

And, by the way, we beat Columbia 11-3 in a scrimmage yesterday. While it is just a scrimmage, you may want to reconsider some of your prognosticating.

I agree with southpaw. Oakland is full of the best young talent and seems to be in pretty good shape next year and in the future. Disagree about Smyrna. No way they come in second. They have a bunch of individuals. Blackman is the exact opposite of what you said. They have good pitching. Overall hitting will be an issue. Siegel, Oakland, and Lavergne are fighting for fourth. Siegel has lost a ton. Ryan is a great pitcher but he can't makeup for their defenciences.

BigBob...I do believe you're delusional regarding Oakland. I don't know where you get your facts from, or what you've been told, but you're about as wrong as you can get in your description of Oakland. First of all, our parents aren't bickering. As a matter of fact, this year has been really nice compared to the last few years. There is always a disgruntled parent or two, but I can list disgruntled parents on several of the 7AAA teams right now. That's just life, and it's usually the result of an unrealistic parent. Secondly, the coach doesn't play favorites (unless you're getting your info from your disgruntled friend). And thirdly, we haven't had any players (of significance) quit the team lately. And, I'm counting last year, too. Before that, we had two kids quit the team...one was a transfer from Riverdale, and the other was a transfer from Siegel. But, to say we've had more kids quit the program than the other programs combined is a grandiose misstatement. And, I will say this about the Oakland team (and I've been around for the last 5 years), we've not had any players who have been arrested, failed a drug test, caught smoking weed, stealing radios from cars, taking steroids, been suspended from school for a week for possession of a weapon, and on and on.

Add to that, our Booster Club is squeaky clean and we haven't broken any rules.

So, BigBob, you need to get your facts straight before you get on a public forum to slander a baseball program that has accomplished something that no other program in this district has done. Go to our website and look at the accomplishments of this program, or better yet, when you come to a game, get there a little early and go stand in front of the Traditions Wall...it'll take you a while to soak it all in.

And, by the way, we beat Columbia 11-3 in a scrimmage yesterday. While it is just a scrimmage, you may want to reconsider some of your prognosticating.

Let me go on record and say that I hope Oakland has a great year and that they perform above my expectations. I know of 3 parents that had sons on last years team and all 3 spoke as if there were major chemistry issues with the team and that the coaches didn't always field the best players. With that being said they may have had been disgruntled parents. I never said that you had problem players either. I simply know that they have been a non-factor recently and that has not been well received by many.

Edited by BigBob44

In 2014 there will be a new addition to 7-AAA with Stewarts Creek opening up. It will be interesting to see who ends up going to Stewarts Creek in 2014. Lot's of rumors out there. I predict they won't come in last their first year. I heard they where already trying to book Dave Serrano to be the banquet speaker. Go Big Orange!!!

I hope who ends up there are the kids that are suppose to go to school there. If a coach is any good at all they will take the kids they are suppose to have and win with them. If they are having to look for players out of zone then they must not have much confidence in their ability to coach.

This is definitely a two team race with Blackman and Riverdale. Siegel has lost a ton and has no impact players returning. Smyrna always has talent but Vetter never seems to know what to do with it. Oakland is a team full of sophmores. LaVergne still lacks depth. Blackman has the two best offensive weapons in Skipworth and Snider. Along with a dominant pitcher in Martin. Riverdale will have to lean on King and I don't think he can dominate like Frebis did. After that there is alot of question marks on defense and the rest of the pitching staff. They need to score 10 runs a game to make up for these issues. I think Blackman pulls it out but just barely. Like you guys are saying, it should be a very competive district. Although I think there is a bigger gap between the top three Blackman, Riverdale, and Smyrna and the bottom three.

One of your top 3 will be last place after all of their wins are changed to losses. When someone calls out others on following the rules they should make sure their own toilet is clean or stuff flies back on them eventually.

Let me go on record and say that I hope Oakland has a great year and that they perform above my expectations. I know of 3 parents that had sons on last years team and all 3 spoke as if there were major chemistry issues with the team and that the coaches didn't always field the best players. With that being said they may have had been disgruntled parents. I never said that you had problem players either. I simply know that they have been a non-factor recently and that has not been well received by many.

The thread you're responding to is how will 7AAA play out THIS year. So you responded and ranked Oakland 6th in the district because...

1. the parents are bickering

2. the coaches play favorites

3. more players have quit the team than all the other teams combined.

THIS year. Really?

Your post came off as if you knew what you were talking about. In reading your other postings regarding 9A baseball, stating that Eagleville could beat "90% of AAA" teams and that Eagleville would "finish 2nd" in 7AAA this year, I simply pass you off as delusional and you have absolutely no credibility in judging baseball programs.

As one who ABSOLUTELY knows what's going on the Oakland program, I can tell you that parents are not bickering, the coaches are making the best decisions they can regarding young talent, and players are not quitting the team.

You could take any team in 7AAA, isolate any problem, and magnify it WAY out of proportion as you have done. I know parents from every team (except Lavergne), and I know several of the coaches. While everyone has problems, your caricature of Oakland is overblown and out of line.

To quote you, I'd say your ability to judge baseball programs is a "bad situation, period." Unless you have anything valuable to add to a conversation regarding 7AAA baseball, I'd say you need to stay on the thread regarding Eagleville baseball.

One of your top 3 will be last place after all of their wins are changed to losses. When someone calls out others on following the rules they should make sure their own toilet is clean or stuff flies back on them eventually.

You don't have to get into specifics but which teams are you referring to exactly? I have no idea what your talking about. Everyone seems to do what they are supposed to except maybe the players that transfer to Smyrna without a penalty after they have been kicked off a team from another school. Besides this, I have no idea what you are referring to.

The thread you're responding to is how will 7AAA play out THIS year. So you responded and ranked Oakland 6th in the district because...

1. the parents are bickering

2. the coaches play favorites

3. more players have quit the team than all the other teams combined.

THIS year. Really?

Your post came off as if you knew what you were talking about. In reading your other postings regarding 9A baseball, stating that Eagleville could beat "90% of AAA" teams and that Eagleville would "finish 2nd" in 7AAA this year, I simply pass you off as delusional and you have absolutely no credibility in judging baseball programs.

As one who ABSOLUTELY knows what's going on the Oakland program, I can tell you that parents are not bickering, the coaches are making the best decisions they can regarding young talent, and players are not quitting the team.

You could take any team in 7AAA, isolate any problem, and magnify it WAY out of proportion as you have done. I know parents from every team (except Lavergne), and I know several of the coaches. While everyone has problems, your caricature of Oakland is overblown and out of line.

To quote you, I'd say your ability to judge baseball programs is a "bad situation, period." Unless you have anything valuable to add to a conversation regarding 7AAA baseball, I'd say you need to stay on the thread regarding Eagleville baseball.

Whew, not sure about all the back and forth about the Oakland program, have some friends over there but there is always a little drama in 7AAA. Riverdale has the bats and decent pitching, not sure about their defense, Smyrna and Blackman I think will battle for 2nd and Oakland and siegel 3rd thru 5th, just my opinion. As for what BigBob said about Eagleville competing with the AAA boys, he might not be far off. You seemed to think his statement about Eagleville was pretty hilarious even though that team has made two consecutive trips to State and is loaded with senior talent and in talking to a good friend/parent there all of them have played with the boys at Riverdale and Blackman etc on travel and select teams since they were little all the way thru this past summer so don't disregard them as not being worthy which is the gist of your response on BigBob's "statement". None of the big schools save Blackman seem to want to play them, they will only schedule their jv teams against them from what I know and I know a lot of coaches, parents and kids on the various programs. Eagleville is loaded with seniors and 3 very good pitchers, 1 having committed and 2 being scouted. They, like Riverdale have a solid batting lineup from top to bottom. I don't have any dogs in the fight but I think it would be interesting to see them matchup with some of the 7AAA schools. Sorry, this is 7AAA board but just had to comment on this since it was brought up. Hope to see all the Rutherford County schools show well this year.

Whew, not sure about all the back and forth about the Oakland program, have some friends over there but there is always a little drama in 7AAA. Riverdale has the bats and decent pitching, not sure about their defense, Smyrna and Blackman I think will battle for 2nd and Oakland and siegel 3rd thru 5th, just my opinion. As for what BigBob said about Eagleville competing with the AAA boys, he might not be far off. You seemed to think his statement about Eagleville was pretty hilarious even though that team has made two consecutive trips to State and is loaded with senior talent and in talking to a good friend/parent there all of them have played with the boys at Riverdale and Blackman etc on travel and select teams since they were little all the way thru this past summer so don't disregard them as not being worthy which is the gist of your response on BigBob's "statement". None of the big schools save Blackman seem to want to play them, they will only schedule their jv teams against them from what I know and I know a lot of coaches, parents and kids on the various programs. Eagleville is loaded with seniors and 3 very good pitchers, 1 having committed and 2 being scouted. They, like Riverdale have a solid batting lineup from top to bottom. I don't have any dogs in the fight but I think it would be interesting to see them matchup with some of the 7AAA schools. Sorry, this is 7AAA board but just had to comment on this since it was brought up. Hope to see all the Rutherford County schools show well this year.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I don't discount your pitching staff. I only know of the one pitcher you have, and he should play at the next level. I've not heard of your other two pitchers...not saying that's a bad or good thing...just wasn't aware your pitching staff was so deep.

My opinion of a single A program is what I've encountered first-hand. Every time our JV/middle school/travel team played Eagleville, Cascade or MTCS, we've beat them easily. Now, saying that, I think you could put your ace on the bump and win any game. But, BigBob says Eagleville would come in 2nd in 7AAA...I just don't see that happening. Not sure what you guys do district-wise, but we play 3 game series against each district opponent. Weaknesses are uncovered in a hurry. When the #1's are gone, or you go to the bullpen, match ups can become a problem at that point and you hope for the best.

Not a big deal...I just think BigBob made some pretty far-fetched statements. While Eagleville has a fine program and a great community, I have to disagree as a whole with what he said.

As for his comments regarding Oakland, I'm speechless. I've never seen anyone make such bold statements about a program that are so far from the truth. Wow!

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I don't discount your pitching staff. I only know of the one pitcher you have, and he should play at the next level. I've not heard of your other two pitchers...not saying that's a bad or good thing...just wasn't aware your pitching staff was so deep.

My opinion of a single A program is what I've encountered first-hand. Every time our JV/middle school/travel team played Eagleville, Cascade or MTCS, we've beat them easily. Now, saying that, I think you could put your ace on the bump and win any game. But, BigBob says Eagleville would come in 2nd in 7AAA...I just don't see that happening. Not sure what you guys do district-wise, but we play 3 game series against each district opponent. Weaknesses are uncovered in a hurry. When the #1's are gone, or you go to the bullpen, match ups can become a problem at that point and you hope for the best.

Not a big deal...I just think BigBob made some pretty far-fetched statements. While Eagleville has a fine program and a great community, I have to disagree as a whole with what he said.

As for his comments regarding Oakland, I'm speechless. I've never seen anyone make such bold statements about a program that are so far from the truth. Wow!

Eagleville's number 2 will either be McDougal who is being scouted by Columbia State and a couple other colleges or Hammonds who I believe tied a State tournament record as a sophomore with 17 strikeouts in one game in 2010. I was also at a couple of tournament games this past summer and one of their boys that would be number 4 or 5 on the depth chart held the 19 year old Diamondbacks which are heavy with college signees to 1 hit over 3 innings after coming in the second half of the game and then saw him again go 6 innings against the 18 year old Diamondbacks and he gave up 1 run in that one. Both those teams are usually heavy with boys from Riverdale, Blackman, Oakland and siegel. Year in and year out I would agree that they might not be competitive but this year's team from my understanding is loaded with 12 seniors and a handful of juniors, again this is per a parent friend I have there. Like you were saying though, its not really a big deal but I think it would be interesting to see how they'd matchup a couple of games varsity wise.

On the Oakland issue, I think all schools no matter what level have some drama here and there, to what level not sure, I do know about the young man that went from Blackman to Smyrna over a pretty serious issue. I think a lot of it does stem from what parents/fans you talk to and I always take those things with a grain of salt.

Edited by WarEagle44