Tri-County Seven

coachh17

Ok Betsy beat us but before you all start your crap they outhustled us true but we had 4 foul out and one with four that is BS depew played her tail off and they rebounded well but besty is a hard place to play I give you that and we didn't play good enough to win anyways but the refs sucked tonight but I give deprw credit great job

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lady Cyclones played a great game. Unicoi County looked off from the start. Edwards picked up two early fouls trying to guard DePew and went to the bench. I have said it for years....Edwards is the engine that powers the Lady Devils and without her they struggle. I believe Morgan DePew had 39 points and was essentially unstoppable this night. Unicoi County fouls because they press, play man-to-man defense, and are aggressive with their hands. Elizabethton played a simple 2-3 zone and it worked perfectly. Edwards was unable to drive to the basket like she does against man-to-man. The Lady Devils also shot horribly from behind the arc. Without Reazyn DeMoss (suspension) and Kaley Hodge (jaw injury), the Cyclones needed players to step up. Sophomore guard Abby Pierce played the best game of her varsity career. She scored a little, took ballhandling pressure off DePew, and made numerous deflections and steals. Savannah Madgett probably blocked at least six shots. Whitney Roberts rebounded and defended with a vengeance. Lauren McCurry hit a couple of big shots and made numerous hustle plays on defense. Casey Jones and Miranda Isaacs played some quality minutes and freshman post Megan Pietrowski had a couple of big rebounds in her most important varsity game to date. There were times that the Lady Cyclones had two jv sophomores and a jv freshman on the court together. These teams will likely play at least one more time, but tonight it was a hard fought win for the Lady Cyclones. Go Cyclones!!!! Oh, for all the ratings critics....they hold the #2 spot for a little while longer.

That is typical Eliz. Same way tonight your team, leader in foul trouble in 1st quarter. Always has been when they are at home. Helps when most of the refs are from Carter County. That is why they shoot about 20 more free throws a game than everybody else but I will give Eliz. credit they never foul.

Same song just a different verse - blame it on the refs. Betsy just beat Unicoi tonight. Depew played an awesome game and Edwards wasn't a factor all night. Unicoi missed lots of open shots. Oh and by the way, the refs weren't from Carter County. One is for sure from Greeneville and not sure about the others, but not Carter County. Also, EHS had 1 foul out and a couple of others with 4 fouls. Many of the Unicoi fouls came when they needed to foul and stop the clock.

Ok Betsy beat us but before you all start your crap they outhustled us true but we had 4 foul out and one with four that is BS depew played her tail off and they rebounded well but besty is a hard place to play I give you that and we didn't play good enough to win anyways but the refs sucked tonight but I give deprw credit great job

Betsy just beat the Lady Devils tonight. Yes Unicoi was in foul trouble but they earned every foul that was called along with some that weren't. Many of the fouls were out of frustration because they couldn't contain Depew and were behind. 'D'efense is primarily what has given Betsy the edge over other TRC teams for several years now. Sure they've had some powerful offensive teams but there will be good days and bad on the offensive end even for good teams. However, the teams that win consistently play good defense. I'm sorry but I've watched this Unicoi team for 3 years now and they don't defend well consistently. When that is the case, and you have an off night offensively, you are gonna struggle. That's exactly what happened tonight. Betsy defended well and had a good offensive night to boot. That gave them the edge.

That is a crock of bull. Fouling to stop the clock. 28 free throws by 1 player no there is nothing unusual about that LMAO.Same as it has always been at Eliz. the opposing team gets in foul trouble early in game it doesn't matter who is playing.Eliz. What was the score after 3 up by 4 points I think. Players knowing they can't guard because if the play any defense it is a cheap foul.On the home floor Eliz. is unbeatable but take them away and it is a different game. Oh well waiting on tournament at Unicoi County can't tell I may ref that.

Add another one to the list of teams who never lose a game, its always the officials screwing them over!

Comical!

That is a crock of bull. Fouling to stop the clock. 28 free throws by 1 player no there is nothing unusual about that LMAO.Same as it has always been at Eliz. the opposing team gets in foul trouble early in game it doesn't matter who is playing.Eliz. What was the score after 3 up by 4 points I think. Players knowing they can't guard because if the play any defense it is a cheap foul.On the home floor Eliz. is unbeatable but take them away and it is a different game. Oh well waiting on tournament at Unicoi County can't tell I may ref that.

I agree that many FTs by one player is unusual. However, Unicoi had no answer for Depew and continually fouled to try and stop her. Unicoi's problem wasn't knowing they couldn't guard for fear of getting a foul called. Their issue was (and is) they simply didn't (and don't) do a good job defending, especially man to man. I've watched this team for 3 years now and that fact has remained consistent. Contrary to what some believe, just being aggressive does not constitute good defense. Good foot work and position are required; not just reaching, hacking, bumping and shoving. To imply that Betsy somehow gets preferential treatment by the officials at home is ignorant. The supervisor that assigns the games lives in Kingsport and the officials are from all over the Tri-Cities. Trust me, I'm no fan of the refs that call these ballgames. But, that was the least of the Unicoi issues last night...

It was obvious that Eliz was on a mission last night, especially DePew. And Unicoi wasnt ready to play.

The home team got the calls, but thats what you expect; Unicoi got the calls at our place. Depew was outstanding, and Unicoi clearly had no answer for her and looked lost most of the night against the zone defense. Hopefully this is a learning loss for the Lady Devils. Game will not keep them from winning the conference and top seed IF they learn from it. They will meet again if things go according to plan in the District final which will be at Unicoi. Regional this year is at C-D high school with four teams likely to be Grainger, South Greene, Greenville and host CD. It will be a very competitve Regional this year as there is more parity between the Districts than in years past.

As to what happened last night; its pretty simple. Eliz wanted/needed the win more than Unicoi and it showed.

They went out and got it. Unicoi's coach and players have some soul searching and work to do.

PS to coachh: You might want to check your drawers as when you made that post you were so happy I bet you peed down both legs!!!!

Edited by limestonecove

I am very glad I made the trip to Betsy last night for these games...I enjoyed myself very much and got to meet some great fans from both sides and watch 2 good ball games.

The unicoi girls just acted like their heart wasn't in this game. Betsy played extremely well. Combine the 2 and you see what the result was. I have seen Unicoi play on several occasions this season, and last night was the poorest I have seen them shoot the 3, and def the poorest I have seen them play defensively. They seemed lazy and a step behind all night on defense, and that is what I believe led to so many fouls on their part...

My hats off to Depew, she played great and is really a huge asset to Betsy...they will be difficult to beat anytime she plays that well, and that is all there is to it.

It was well worth the trip to see this game, and the boys game too for that matter! Good win by Unicoi on that side of things, but I will say this-Elizabethton gave them the game...great night of basketball over all

Just for the record I didn't say the refs beat us my daughter plays for unicoi and I am the first to say Betsy beat us in every part of the game and earned the victory but a foul is a foul on both sides that being said that prob wouldn't have changed the outcome cause we didn't want it as bad as you all did or thought it was gonna be easy and if Edwards it our engine than you all better hope depew stays out of foul trouble cause like us you will be hurting bad Congtats to Betsy they took us behind woodshed

Just for the record I didn't say the refs beat us my daughter plays for unicoi and I am the first to say Betsy beat us in every part of the game and earned the victory but a foul is a foul on both sides that being said that prob wouldn't have changed the outcome cause we didn't want it as bad as you all did or thought it was gonna be easy and if Edwards it our engine than you all better hope depew stays out of foul trouble cause like us you will be hurting bad Congtats to Betsy they took us behind woodshed

I am a fan of neither team, only of basketball...and this is only my opinion, but here is what I think.

Unicoi played a completely different style of ball last night than Betsy, they pressed the whole game and tried to apply as much pressure as possible on defense, while taking quick shots on the offensive end. They didn't appear to run any set plays designed to penetrate the zone that Betsy threw at them and didn't rebound the ball well on either end of the floor. That being said, when you play a man to man and full court press defense you are going to have more fouls called on you...that's just part of the game. This is why I believe Unicoi was whistled for more fouls...because they did indeed foul more.

Edited by Thebballguru

It is a game on January 24th. Do not get too high after a win and do not get all torn up after a loss. Just look at UT's men they beat UConn Saturday and thought they were great and then look what happened to them last night.

Edited by Tab