Region 1 Officiating video...You make the call.

sweeper2

At the point where Williams bridges and both wrestlers bodies go outside the circle, and actually almost on to the gym floor, the action should have stopped and both wrestlers brought back to the middle of the mat. The only part of either wrestler still in the circle was Williams feet. The top man/wrestling in control was completely out of the wrestling circle.

At the point where Williams bridges and both wrestlers bodies go outside the circle, and actually almost on to the gym floor, the action should have stopped and both wrestlers brought back to the middle of the mat. The only part of either wrestler still in the circle was Williams feet. The top man/wrestling in control was completely out of the wrestling circle.

This is actually an interesting debate. I learn new stuff all the time.

Edited by TDArtist

Just an observation....

Before the finals started, it was made very clear that only wrestlers, coaches, officials and table workers were to be on the floor. This video appears to be taken from the floor.

Assuming you shot this video as a parent, why were you on the floor, where you were not supposed to be anyway?

I would say when the ground level bleachers were pulled out for the finals and the crowd was allowed to go to the bottom level, the person taking the video felt they were able to move to sides of the mats also. Just a guess.

Just an observation....

Before the finals started, it was made very clear that only wrestlers, coaches, officials and table workers were to be on the floor. This video appears to be taken from the floor.

Assuming you shot this video as a parent, why were you on the floor, where you were not supposed to be anyway?

this is not my video...mine was recorded from the stands...this was the team video

Interesting how we see what we want to see. Rather than seeing what actually occurred, our judgement is based on our perspective or color that we're wearing or our relationship/connection to the participant. This particular tiff is between a parent (shocking) and a referee, but at any wrestling tournament, you can see this irrational bias. Watch as coaches argue for a call, that, if they were on the other side of the mat wearing the other color, they would never agree with. How is it that a group of, say 200 wresling fans wearing one color can be so angry and sure that "that WAS a takedown!", while across the mat, a very similar group, only wearing another color are equally enthusiastic that there is "NO WAY that was a takedown!" This isn't unique to wrestling, mind you. This same thing can be viewed at any sporting event, anywhere. To a fan in the heat of the moment, this is enthusiasm.. But to others, it comes off as a display of dishonesty in our sports culture. Again, we choose not to see the truth, but see what we WANT to see or NEED to see to support these people we're connected to. Not casting stones here, as I have been involved with it and guilty of it myself. Just wonder if others have noticed this phenomenon also.

Once his sholders are out of bounds, he is not in near fall critera, so the shoulders are no longer supporting parts.

Oneblindref,

Can you reference where in the rulebook or casebook that it states that the supporting points would transition to the feet in this case?

Just wondering if that is a judgement or if it is actually covered somewhere. That would probably help shed some light on it. This certainly doesn't seem to match logic on where the supporting points would be considered and I am sure is where xbody's disagreement stems from.

Interesting how we see what we want to see. Rather than seeing what actually occurred, our judgement is based on our perspective or color that we're wearing or our relationship/connection to the participant. This particular tiff is between a parent (shocking) and a referee, but at any wrestling tournament, you can see this irrational bias. Watch as coaches argue for a call, that, if they were on the other side of the mat wearing the other color, they would never agree with. How is it that a group of, say 200 wresling fans wearing one color can be so angry and sure that "that WAS a takedown!", while across the mat, a very similar group, only wearing another color are equally enthusiastic that there is "NO WAY that was a takedown!" This isn't unique to wrestling, mind you. This same thing can be viewed at any sporting event, anywhere. To a fan in the heat of the moment, this is enthusiasm.. But to others, it comes off as a display of dishonesty in our sports culture. Again, we choose not to see the truth, but see what we WANT to see or NEED to see to support these people we're connected to. Not casting stones here, as I have been involved with it and guilty of it myself. Just wonder if others have noticed this phenomenon also.

This person got it.

I find it even more humorous that a coach in our region officiated an AAU tournament, walked off the mat and apologized to a couple of officials in our region after "walking the mile" in our shoes, for things he had said or done as a coach with us on the mat.

There is not one official in this state that I know who walks onto the mat with the intention of throwing a match one way or the other.

I do get frustrated at times with parents, fans and sometimes coaches who think that they are experts on the rule book but only have a general knowledge. While I do not claim to be perfect, my job is to protect the well being of the kids and enforce the intent and spirit of the rule book. Knowledge of the rule book is to me what the ability to teach is to a coach.

This sport is not as popular as say football which makes some of the more intricate parts of the rule book very vague for the untrained.

An example....a coach argues a defensive pin because his kid was in control when the book does not specify that a wrestler has to be in control to earn a pin. Those of us in the sport for any length of time will know this but someone with little knowledge will be convinced that his kid just got screwed.