Region 1 Officiating video...You make the call.

sweeper2

So to clear it up in a summary for this knuckle-dragging coach.....

No pin because the shoulders of one wrestler (the pinned) and the feet of the other wrestler (the pinner) were out of bounds?

TDA, you may be confusing two different issues. The wrestlers should have been blown out of bounds at the :24 second mark since a supporting part of each wrester (shoulder(s) of the bottom wrestler and the feet of the top wrester) are out of bounds. One note here, it only takes 1 supporting point of each wrestler to be out of bounds for them to be out so it could have been one shoulder and one foot but here it was both shoulders and both feet.

Now to comment on the pin itself since wrestling was allowed to continue. The supporting points (shoulders) of the bottom wrestler are in bounds so wrestling is still in bounds. It does not matter that the top wrestler is completely out of bounds. As refereneced above, you have to have one supporting point of BOTH wrestlers out of bounds for wrestling to be stopped as out of bounds.

In a nutshell, the pin itself was fine. Wrestling action should have been called out of bounds at the :24 second mark.

Edited by xbody

Most of the time, you are officiating by yourself. In fact, when I have an assistant, I seldom use him except for an extra pair of eyes (if he sees locked hands from his 180 degree vantage point, I take it without question).

In our region this past weekend, I was asked by a coach to confer with my assistant on a call at the end of the 3rd period for a take down that would send it into overtime. If I have the call solidly in my mind, I might have declined. (This was the do or die round).

I relented to my assistant NOT TO MAKE THE CALL, but what did he see? If he starts out "Well, what I got....." its not about what he has, but WHAT DID HE SEE.

My assistant pointed out two things I might have missed and if I did, I needed to change the call. I did. It went into overtime, the kid scored a take down in the first OT. The challenge made the difference in his kid going on to the state. Unfortunately, the other kid did not.

A couple of points.

1. No official wants to miss a call. But we do.

2. It is bad when an official misses a call, but a travesty when you have an assistant and both do.

3. I would estimate the number of correct calls to incorrect calls during a tournament

is probably 1000 to 5. But coaches, wrestlers, and fans only remember the 5.

4. On the close ones in the area of judgement, I can only be 50% right.

5. A tip for COACHES:

Keep your emotion in the chair when you want to ASK the mat official to confer with his assistant. I am not by any stretch implying HE SHOULD confer. It is his call.

Its going to be a great weekend.

TDA, you may be confusing two different issues. The wrestlers should have been blown out of bounds at the :24 second mark since a supporting part of each wrester (shoulder(s) of the bottom wrestler and the feet of the top wrester) are out of bounds. One note here, it only takes 1 supporting point of each wrestler to be out of bounds for them to be out so it could have been one shoulder and one foot but here it was both shoulders and both feet.

Now to comment on the pin itself since wrestling was allowed to continue. The supporting points (shoulders) of the bottom wrestler are in bounds so wrestling is still in bounds. It does not matter that the top wrestler is completely out of bounds. As refereneced above, you have to have one supporting point of BOTH wrestlers out of bounds for wrestling to be stopped as out of bounds.

In a nutshell, the pin itself was fine. Wrestling action should have been called out of bounds at the :24 second mark.

Xbody, if you go back and watch the video at 22- 25 seconds in slow motion you will see the wrestler b( bottom) feet (both) are inbounds, while wrestler A Is spinning back inbounds wrestlers B's hips hit inbounds. Then A puts wrestler B on his shoulders inbounds. As quick as this all happened, I think the official made the right call.

Xbody, if you go back and watch the video at 22- 25 seconds in slow motion you will see the wrestler b( bottom) feet (both) are inbounds, while wrestler A Is spinning back inbounds wrestlers B's hips hit inbounds. Then A puts wrestler B on his shoulders inbounds. As quick as this all happened, I think the official made the right call.

Except they are saying that when you are on your back, your shoulders are your supporting parts, not your feet. Which is right?

Oneblindref, You keep missing the point. His feet have nothing to do with his supporting parts due to the fact he is on his back. The fact that his back is out of bounds doesn't change his supporting points to his feet. He's on his back and thus his supporting points are his shoulders not his feet. He is out, top wrestler is out therefore the wrestling action is out of bounds.

Edited by xbody

Except they are saying that when you are on your back, your shoulders are your supporting parts, not your feet. Which is right?

Per the rulebook quoted earlier, it is the shoulders which are to be considered the supporting points. I think Xbody's explanation above this would be the correct interpretation.

ONEBLINDREF, you might as well just cut the defensive mans feet off because in this situation both of these boys were completely out of bounds from the monster bridge-out. And two refs missed it. It wasnt even close. I too would have missed it, but 2 TSSAA referees? Come on ONEBLINDREF... admit it.... they missed it.... :D

Edited by TNKO2

Well after all of this I am just wondering who is the ref from region 1 who is going to the state tournament this weekend? I think like in any aspect of life, if we let go of our pride and work to be the best we can, forums like this can really help coaches, officials and wrestlers become better. This would be the fastest way to improve the quality of wrestling in this state. Some really great posts. Thanks for the thread.